Why lie about wanting to hang out with someone?

Options
Why do people do this?
I don't mean when old friends are like "We need to hang out soon!" and then never do--whatever, that happens all the time.

I mean when people say they should hang out and then never follow through on the plans because they don't actually want to.

It's like that episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. where Chandler tells Rachel's boss "Okay, had fun, we should do this again some time!" but he really doesn't want to & he can't stop saying that because it's how he says goodbye or whatever.

Drives me crazy.

It's not being polite, it's actually the opposite if you have no intention of it.

Know what I'm saying?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I personally love saying "f*** off, I never want to see you again, and didn't enjoy spending time with you" on a daily basis...
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I personally love saying "f*** off, I never want to see you again, and didn't enjoy spending time with you" on a daily basis...

No need to be a sarcastic idiot. But I've noticed that's kind of your style so you probably can't help it.

I would explain this to you but I don't feel like explaining something you likely won't be able to comprehend anyway.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    It's a figure of speech. I hardly ever take it literally or intend it to be taken literally.
  • know_your_worth
    Options
    It's a figure of speech. I hardly ever take it literally or intend it to be taken literally.

Interesting. I guess you're right.

I'm just not used to it. When I hang out with friends or almost anyone...when it comes time to leave it's just kind of like "Okay..bye."
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yeah it kind of annoys me because it's clear when its not sincere... and at that point a simple hello or goodbye would suffice. No need to act like you like me or whatever.
  • KatieKatB
    Options
    I do that all the time. I think because at the moment I want to and then when the time comes of the plans I don't want to. LOl...Im a freak.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My husband does this all the time and it irritates the **** out of me. He'll say to one of my friends husbands "We should totally go golfing, that would be fun" then we get in the car and he's like "i'm never calling that guy" then I'm like "WTF why not just not say anything then!"

Drives me mental.
  • know_your_worth
    Options
    My husband does this all the time and it irritates the **** out of me. He'll say to one of my friends husbands "We should totally go golfing, that would be fun" then we get in the car and he's like "i'm never calling that guy" then I'm like "WTF why not just not say anything then!"

Drives me mental.

Exactly!! Saying nothing is so much better. Better than lying and having the other person have that expectation that you're going to follow through with the plans.
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty I say it! I really do, at the time, intend to hang out again- sometime. But I get caught up in everyday life I forget to call the person.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

No need to be a sarcastic idiot. But I've noticed that's kind of your style so you probably can't help it.

I would explain this to you but I don't feel like explaining something you likely won't be able to comprehend anyway.

I'm being rhetorical most of the time with my sarcasm...as I was in this post.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I never say it unless I mean it. But, sometimes other people say it, so I just say, "Yeah, cool. Give me a call..." knowing we never exchanged numbers. I'm a total smart *kitten* sometimes. I don't know if people pick up on it or not. LOL. I was recently called out on it. Like 2 or 3 weeks ago, a guy said, 'do you have my number' and I said, "Yeah, totally". He looked at me to make sure I wasn't lying, and I didn't back down. LOL. I don't have his number because I don't really want to hang out with him.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Why do people do this?
    I don't mean when old friends are like "We need to hang out soon!" and then never do--whatever, that happens all the time.

I mean when people say they should hang out and then never follow through on the plans because they don't actually want to.

It's like that episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. where Chandler tells Rachel's boss "Okay, had fun, we should do this again some time!" but he really doesn't want to & he can't stop saying that because it's how he says goodbye or whatever.

Drives me crazy.

It's not being polite, it's actually the opposite if you have no intention of it.

Know what I'm saying?
    I think I know what you are saying.
    Have you ever read about "love languages?"
    The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.
    I think it's pretty legit!
    I can relate to what you are saying.....I picked out Quality Time as my language...although it seems to be equally important as Physical Touch, for me.
    But my point is, that, if someone has crossed you in this area, they may have a different language, and not realize how much you are deeply reacting.
    So, without minimizing the strength of your reaction to others, you might consider how you cross others....
    My point is that, they may not realize it. And then you do it, too....and don't realize it.

If my quality time or physical touch get's 'offended,' I just try to be sensitive to whether this is a direct message to me, or if the other person has a different way of expressing....if they just come from a different motivation.
  • jenjen0214
    Options
    I'm guilty I say it! I really do, at the time, intend to hang out again- sometime. But I get caught up in everyday life I forget to call the person.

Yeah, but it is totally one thing to get lost in life and to "accidentally" not follow through and another to just a be *kitten* and say something that you completely do not mean. Folks these days are WAY too worried about who they are moushing up to with their fake kindness and general suck up routine.
  • know_your_worth
    Options
    Why do people do this?

Drives me crazy.

Know what I'm saying?
    I can relate to what you are saying.....I picked out Quality Time as my language...although it seems to be equally important as Physical Touch, for me.
    But my point is, that, if someone has crossed you in this area, they may have a different language, and not realize how much you are deeply reacting.
    So, without minimizing the strength of your reaction to others, you might consider how you cross others....
    My point is that, they may not realize it. And then you do it, too....and don't realize it.

If my quality time or physical touch get's 'offended,' I just try to be sensitive to whether this is a direct message to me, or if the other person has a different way of expressing....if they just come from a different motivation.

I see what you're saying.
    That sounds like an interesting read! I'll have to check it out.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I HATE this! I know so many people who are like "yeah , we should do ______" Then i try to arrange things and either they cancel last minute, avoid it all together or just don't show. Really? It was YOUR idea. WTF! I hate flakes. Don't say it if you don't mean it, I don't need to waste my time on you if your not serious.

it's extremely rude.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Why do people do this?

Drives me crazy.

Know what I'm saying?

*shakes head*....Women!....
  • know_your_worth
    Options

Yeah, but it is totally one thing to get lost in life and to "accidentally" not follow through and another to just a be *kitten* and say something that you completely do not mean. Folks these days are WAY too worried about who they are moushing up to with their fake kindness and general suck up routine.

^ THIS
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Well. there is absolutely nothing wrong with being nice and polite. I mix with a lot of people, and my kids become friends with their kids whether I like the parents or not, and that whole thing goes both ways. It's easiest to be cordial and respectful of each other. I live in a big city, but the community I'm in is very small. Everyone knows everyone. You're only one or two people away from everyone else, and it's just better to be polite. Not fake, but polite and nice. That *kitten* will bite you in the @$$ if you're a douche.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

Interesting. I guess you're right.

I'm just not used to it. When I hang out with friends or almost anyone...when it comes time to leave it's just kind of like "Okay..bye."

Haha when I picture that, it seems really awkward. No "take care?" No, "have a good one?" Just "okay..bye."
  • ciaoella
    Options
    Better than lying and having the other person have that expectation that you're going to follow through with the plans.

On what planet is, "We should hang out/do this again sometime," a concrete enough plan to 'follow through' on? And it's also open ended enough to not make it the responsibility of the person who said it to call and follow through on this "plan" to hang out again. If your answer is, "Yes, we should," or, "Okay," etcetera, etc. then you can follow up and make actual concrete plans with said person later you know.