winter running kit

Options
What are the winter running goodies you can't do without?

I just got some base layer items in the post. I'm more than a bit excited. I suspect this is an indication of true addiction.

Replies

• pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Gloves, & headband or hat. It doesn't often get below 40F here, and I use shorts year long. Fingers & ears get might chilled. When it's cold I seem to start a little faster :smile: Good sweat wicking base layer is good too.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have two heavy, half-zip shirts with fold-over mittens. Love them!

For days when there's ice on the road, YakTrax. They're like little snow tires for your shoes.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The thinnest gloves could find and a selection of 360 skins and running jackets. When I get it right I'm freezing all the way out and sweating all the way back. That's as good as I can get it.

My wife has a running head band, solely to stop her ears getting cold.
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Black Diamond headlamp. About $40. I run early in the mornings, part of which is on country roads where there are no street lights.
  • bowties_r_cool
    bowties_r_cool Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Head band/ear muffs, Gloves, and Wool socks:love: (To wear over my running socks). I need to invest in a good thin water resistant jacket. I have a lot of under-armor knock off gear but with a thick jacket it just traps in too much heat.:ohwell: It gets really cold here. My nose is almost always numb. But with glasses it seems impossible to wear those mouth/nose coverings. i just fog up! :laugh:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It rarely gets below freezing here so my winter runs are usually at temps in the 40s and 50s (and my summer runs are in the 70s and 80s when they aren't in the 90s, ugh!) but for really cold mornings, ear coverage is a must. I have a nice fleece headband for that purpose. I have run when it's been in the low 30s and the only things different that I decided I needed was gloves for the first mile or so and socks to cover my ankles.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    IceShoes.jpg
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Black Diamond headlamp. About $40. I run early in the mornings, part of which is on country roads where there are no street lights.

I need to get one of these. I'm also a country dweller.

And pucenavel, those studs look awesome!
  • pucenavel
    Options
    ...and cheap, too.

less than $3 to "stud the tires"
  • funpilot56
    Options
    If sunny down to 45 degrees, shorts/t-shirt. If cloudy, same down to 50 degrees. Below that long sleeve tech shirt and long pants 40 degrees and below. Gloves/headband/hat from below 45 degrees sunny or cloudy. I am old school (yea, fleece in the 70's before it was cool like now) so I wear a tech long sleeve with a hoodie and tights with windpants from 30 degrees and below. My problem now is the shoes are so light and breathable that during winter months, feet get cold easier due to mesh. Bring back the leather uppers!!! lol
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have running tights that can be worn alone or under sweats. I do have lots of Under Armor. I used their heat gear all summer and it really is the best. I usually just wear a sweatshirt and pull the arms over my hands because within a few minutes I get warm enough to let my hands out. Headbands are a must I think. I too live in the country but I hate headlamps because #1 you have to wear them, #2 the light bounces around. For the most part in the dark I want people to see me. I found this http://www.knucklelights.com/Knuckle-Lights_c2.htm
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    LOVE what you did to your shoes! I assume those were older ones that you didn't care too much about. It is so funny how running in the snow works different muscles because you are trying to not slip!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The thinnest gloves could find and a selection of 360 skins and running jackets. When I get it right I'm freezing all the way out and sweating all the way back. That's as good as I can get it.

My wife has a running head band, solely to stop her ears getting cold.
    Me too! I don't recall ever needing a beanie last winter, but was very glad to have the headband as I have sensitive ears for whatever reason. Plus it's easy to take off if I'm too warm & just loop around my wrist.

Found some thin gloves last season that had the "touch" finger tips so I could still operate my iPhone without taking them off - helped with starting my run app/music or whatever.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depending on how cold you are talking, for me its good gloves, good socks, something to cover my ears, and a jacket that blocks the wind. I've worn as little as a long sleeve technical T under my light windbreaker in temps well under freezing.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It gets pretty cold in my area, so I have a good selection of winter gear. Here's my must haves:
    Handwarmers
    Gloves
    Mittens - that can be gloves or mittens
    headband
    headlamp
    scarf or baclava
    moisture wicking cold gear tops
    running tights
    wind pants
    wool socks
    wind proof jacket

and for when I get home - lots of tea for hot tea to warm up after. I get cold easy.
  • pucenavel
    Options
    It gets pretty cold in my area, so I have a good selection of winter gear. Here's my must haves:
    Handwarmers
    Gloves
    Mittens - that can be gloves or mittens
    headband
    headlamp
    scarf or baclava
    moisture wicking cold gear tops
    running tights
    wind pants
    wool socks
    wind proof jacket

and for when I get home - lots of tea for hot tea to warm up after. I get cold easy.

do you use almonds or walnuts in your baclava? :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It gets cold here (-30 to -35C are not unusual in January & February , sometimes colder)

My merino wool base layer is fantastic - very light weight, wicking & toasty warm and (being wool) it stays warm even when wet. Other than that my winter kit is pretty standard, long sleeve running shirt, tights, fleece layer & shell along with a toque and warm gloves.

You know it's a really cold day when you get home and there's a layer of frost on your cheeks & fleece layer.
  • alancheng
    Options
    in the wind what do you wear for the neck? fleece scarf?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get very cold where I am but I love my runningskirts tights, gotta have gloves, a jacket and I wear a winter headband that covers my ears.

http://store.runningskirts.com/heartstooth-subzero-skirt
  • Maria_T007
    Options
    This will be my first winter running...i was told, one extra layer, gloves, and hand mittens :) Good luck!