Tracking sugar in nutrition guide

Options
I'm on the 1200 calories a day diet plan, and I've found it very interesting tracking my foods/ nutrition. Recently I decided to track my sugar intake. Here it is 10:00am, and ALREADY I'm over the suggested sugars intake of 24g for the day....having eaten only 1/4 cantaloupe and 100 calorie Greek yogurt.

So the rest of the day I have NO sugars, even in fruits, vegetables, healthy items? Bummer (and unrealistic IMHO).

Replies

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 calories a day diet plan, and I've found it very interesting tracking my foods/ nutrition. Recently I decided to track my sugar intake. Here it is 10:00am, and ALREADY I'm over the suggested sugars intake of 24g for the day....having eaten only 1/4 cantaloupe and 100 calorie Greek yogurt.

So the rest of the day I have NO sugars, even in fruits, vegetables, healthy items? Bummer (and unrealistic IMHO).
    Yep i think its impossible to stay within the limits set really, sugars are found in so many natural foods and really you shouldnt be trying to avoid those sugars, its the sugar in cakes and cookies etc that you should be avoiding. Eating a banana and some yogurt does the same for me, so now ive stopped taking so much notice of it as its natural and shouldnt be avoided.
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You have good fats, carbs, and sugar and you have your bad fats, carbs, and sugar. One of the weaknesses with this program is it doesn't distinguish between the two.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Track your overall carb intake instead of just sugar....if your sugar is only coming from fruit. I only pay attention to the sugar column if it's added sugar.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Track your overall carb intake instead of just sugar....if your sugar is only coming from fruit. I only pay attention to the sugar column if it's added sugar.

same here. im not an expert, but i believe sugar comes in different types. as i understand it, the natural sugar in fruit isn't as bad as that in a chocolate bar.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

same here. im not an expert, but i believe sugar comes in different types. as i understand it, the natural sugar in fruit isn't as bad as that in a chocolate bar.

It's not as "bad" but to your body it's the same substance. There are different types of sugar, but the fructose in fruit is the same fructose in chocolate.