Plateau Help

Options
I've lost 21 pounds at about 1 pound a week but have been at the same weight for 4 weeks and I'm at a loss about what to do to start the weight loss again. MFP gives me 1370 calories a day but I usually use around 1250. I exercise 40 minutes a day. Hubby thinks I should eat more but that's a bit scary for me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stuck on a plateau that you cant break? Back hurts a lot doing cardio or weights? Work on your core. Ive found after stretching doing 3-4 core exercises a day helps me
    with a lot of things. Change them up from day to day, do your 10-20 min of cardio then hit the weights hard! Here is a good basic information article on things you need to start.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

also try weight training
  • prayerseeker
    prayerseeker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have a nutritionist who says if you have a plateau you have it...do an apple day...yes apples...at the end of every meal eat a red apple. the fiber is a natural diuretic and will cleanse your system...don't do it more than one day a week though...you can acutally have up to 6 in a day if you are stuck...plus it is a yummy way to get past that crazy number you are stuck on. Just don't make it a habit..Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with your husband. Low-cal works for some time but eventually you bottom out as your metabolism slows down to compensate. You could continue to go lower and lower calorie, and you metabolism will get slower and slower, or you can take action and up your calories and eat enough fuel for your workouts. If you've lost 1lb/wk to 21lbs, I will assume you've been doing this for almost 6 months, so it may take some time to adjust. Get rid of your scale for a few weeks, as you may see a temporary adjustment gain, which will mostly be water. Don't let it freak you out.

Follow the instructions here for how to get the appropriate numbers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • auty1991
    auty1991 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The solution to addressing the plateau is simple. Diversity! Do not do the same exercises every day; otherwise, your body will form muscle memory (the neuromuscular system adapting itself to regular activities requiring particular motor skills). Mix it up! If your muscles are adapting to a routine, then you have to "confuse" them. To avoid muscle memory, mix it up. Change your workouts. Muscle confusion will prevent your body from adapting to a routine. (:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend a diet break if you have been at a calorie deficit for any length of time. It would be for about 10 - 14 days where you eat at maintenance.

Calculate your estimated TDEE based on your current stats and deduct 500 calories from that - set your target at that number to eat.

Edit: the link the MoreBean provided contains information as to the amount to eat when back to a deficit.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    What i have found from my past experiences that 1200 leaves you no where to go when you hit a plateau. I am trying the TDEE concept....Gives you alot more room to work with regarding calories/exercise. Do a search of the message boards for TDEE. There is alot of information about it.

Good Luck :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend a diet break if you have been at a calorie deficit for any length of time. It would be for about 10 - 14 days where you eat at maintenance.

Calculate your estimated TDEE based on your current stats and deduct 500 calories from that - set your target at that number to eat.

Edit: the link the MoreBean provided contains information as to the amount to eat when back to a deficit.

What these 2 guys said *and then I stepped aside to giggle at some of the other replies*
  • migranny100
    migranny100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting with a trainer on Friday to prepare me to run a 5K in the spring so she'll probably have me do some of these things.