How do I eat well at college?!!

Options
2»

Replies

• WxMstr
    WxMstr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I go to the University of Oklahoma, and they have a cafeteria that I go to, and they will cook you burgers, chicken sandwiches...ect.. I just tell them to cook me a piece of grilled chicken without any bread or condiments, and I add salsa/guacamole.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have access to a microwave and some sort of food storage, get a microwave steamer kit, a couple of microwave-safe bowls/plates, some plastic wrap (I think you call it Saran Wrap in the US?), and a microwave cookbook. You should be able to do all sorts of vegetables, chicken, fish, grains etc in there for main meals. I poach my egg in the morning in a microwave - one egg, in a ramekin, with pierced plastic wrap over the top. Second-highest setting for 40 seconds usually does the trick.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I was in college (like 2 years ago)... I literally lived off of Slim Fast for Breakfast & snickers marathon bar for lunch. I was broke and refused to spend my money on fast food... I have a sweet tooth hence the slim fast and snickers marathon... I seemed to do just fine and just kept myself busy when I found myself hungry... but now that I have learned to eat better I really wish I would have just invested in a cooler and brought a sandwhich and veggies for lunch
  • ellebelle203
    Options
    Wow there's a lot of great stuff here! I do take advantage of the salad bars, but they don't fill me well. I drink a ton of water which helps with that. I have a mini fridge with a freezer (barely, it doesn't freeze anything) and a microwave.

Now I'm having an issue with energy when I work out. I burn about 400-500 calories every workout but this week especially, I have been too tired. I don't think I'm eating enough carbs before my workouts? I need my workouts to be more productive!

Any solutions on this?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you don't have enough energy then you need to eat more, try eating back half of your exercise calories. Do keep in mind machines and the companies that make them are invested in making it seem like you burn more calories using their machine, and they can be artificially inflated. Don't focus on what the machine tells you, focus on the time you spent and activity. So 30 minutes running 5mph, or 30 minutes walking at 3mph.

If you're going to be working out hard, a banana is a good carby choice pre-workout. And drink water about 15 minutes before exercising so it has enough time to get into your body and start helping you. Post workout, I like to drink chocolate milk, 1 cup. Tastes good and has good mix of protein and carbs.

Also slice of bread is good preworkout, a little peanut butter on top if you want more protein.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Don't eat in the dorms! If not possible, best of luck to you. My school had meat with signage on the boxes that said "Suitable for Students and Prisoners." So we got to eat the same and death row inmates? Awesome.