Clean Eating Mag - pizza dough question

Options
Hey guys -

Thinking of making the pizza dough recipe from the Feb/Mar 2010 Clean Eating mag. It calls for "wheat gluten" and I don't have that.

Ya think it would be okay with out it? The rest of the recipe looks pretty "normal" -- yeast, whole wheat flour, honey, water, salt and EVOO.

I guess I could "cheat" and mix 1/2 WW Flour and 1/2 White flour to up the gluten content...

Replies

• PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    Love clean eating magazine. This is from Bob's Red Mill site. Sounds like you would need it.

Vital Wheat Gluten
    Gluten, Vital Wheat is the natural protein found in wheat. It contains 75% protein. A small amount added to yeast bread recipes improves the texture and elasticity of the dough.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Servings = 4 | Serving size =enough dough for 4 individual pizzas
    Cooking Time = 30 Minutes
    This recipe can be multiplied by 2. This recipe can be divisible by 2.
    his dough will keep for about 36 hours in the refrigerator if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. It will not be as good as fresh.

1 cup warm water
    1 tsp dry active yeast
    4 tsp honey
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp salt

Place the yeast and honey in a large mixing bowl and pour the heated water over the mixture, stirring until well blended. Let the mixture stand for about 5 - 7 minutes until foamy.

Add the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt and stir with a fork until a coarse dough forms.

Continue to mix by hand until a dough ball forms and all the flour is well blended.

Cover the bowl and place it in a sink with about 4 inches of hot water in the bottom. The heat from the warm water will help the dough rise. The dough will double in size in about 30 – 40 minutes. Punch it a few times with your fingers and let it rise another 30 minutes.

Remove from the bowl and cut the ball into four equal pieces. Cover the dough that you are not going to use immediately in plastic wrap and chill.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size = 1 pizza
    Servings = 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories 285 Calories from Fat 11
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 1g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 295mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrates 62g 21%
    Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
    Sugars 6g
    Protein 10g
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 18%
    Vitamin K 1 mcg Potassium 283 mg
    Magnesium 87 mg
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks Panic, I was afraid of that! I may make Parvati's (thank you!) recipe and then try and hunt down some wheat gluten for another time!

I love the CE Mag too!

Parvati - thanks so much for the recipe. I have one similar, but it doesn't call for a water bath. I usually heat the oven to 200 then turn it off and let my dough rise in there. Works a charm!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually heat the oven to 200 then turn it off and let my dough rise in there. Works a charm!

Hey that's a great idea, never thought of that....
    I am feeding my kids pizza'a tonight....but making mine on portabello caps....which i love, it is my new favorite meal. My husband loves it too! I don't even feel like i am missing out....it's great!
    Enjoy your pizza!! :)
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I am feeding my kids pizza'a tonight....but making mine on portabello caps....which i love, it is my new favorite meal. My husband loves it too! I don't even feel like i am missing out....it's great!
    Enjoy your pizza!! :)

Yum! Portabello cap pizza! Don't think it would fly with my husband, but still - YUUMMM