running while sick

Options
I have had a miserable cold all week with aches and pains. I've missed two runs though I may have been able to run for a short time at a slower pace. My question is is it better to take a few days off when fighting a minor illness and feeling run down or is it better to continue with some activity as I am able... I don't want to keep myself sick for longer, but I hate missing my runs. Thanks for any thoughts...

Replies

• ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was sick for a couple days a week or so ago. I pushed myself through it, although at a slower pace.
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel myself getting sick this week and I am taking some time off from my runs, but I am also keeping my calorie count in check to ensure I don't gain.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think it is better to rest. I have been sick the past couple have days and although it kills me to not exercise, I think it is better to let my body rest and get better.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i went when i was sick over the weekend my support team on here said i'd sweat the cold right out...and i think they were right. :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Any thing I ever read about running said, if you want to, run through anything except: pain, injury and respiratory ailments.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    If I'm sick, I still exercise. If I'm injured, I take some time off or change the workout to eliminate unnecessary stress to the hurting muscle or joint.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you have a head cold but if it's a chest cold, lay off. Running with a head cold always made me feel better but the minute it goes to your chest, you increase your risk for pneumonia if you run or do heavy cardio.
  • JessieJacobs
    Options
    Above the neck: Work out (although you may have to lessen your intensity). Below the neck: Get some rest.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    When your sick your body is more concerned about fighting whatever illness you have and would rather go into survival mode rather than run a mile. That's mostly why, when you workout when your sick, your not as efficient or able to workout as hard as you normally would. Rest a few days is the best option. You wont lose what you have gained in only a few days although when you go back to full training you may feel a little off. De-training takes a bit longer than just a few days or even a week or two without training. Give your body the time it needs to rest, you may in fact , find that the extra rest will help your workouts when you come back. You have to remember that when your working out you are actually breaking your body down and with a suppressed immune system like when you are sick, training could just make things worse. If you just cant stomach not working out at least take it easy and slow it down. Just my two cents:)
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone!. It sounds like I'll have to give it a try and see what works for me. Its interestinng how persoal much of this is...learnnig to listen to your own body is a must...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If I can breathe and don't snot the entire time, I run. I found running clears my sinus'.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Rest while you have fever and/or body aches. Working out can slow your recovery.

If it's just a little head cold / sniffles/ cough / not in your chest, you can run.