turning 40

Options
I'm turning 40 in January and freaking out a little. I'm not overweight, but would like to be more in shape and lose about 9-10 pounds. Workouts are going great but I'm using them as an excuse to eat more, so I haven't lost any weight. I'm hoping switching from counting points with another program to counting calories will do the trick! Wish me luck.

Replies

• chluna
    Options
    good luck. i turn 40 in march and also freaking out. i would love to lose about 10-13lbs as well. maybe we can encourage each other.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I freaked out last year when I turned 38. I lost 80 lbs between then and now. By gods, when I'm 40, I'm going to fabulous!
  • mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be 40 in a year and just over 6 days.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Good for you. If I could go back in time, I would get more in shape before 40. But at least I am getting started before 50 :). Best of luck!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I will be 47 in January and tonight a twenty-something personal trainer in the gym told me I was "amazingly toned all over". As you can imagine, it made me feel great. 8 years ago I was a bit chunky and had never exercised in my life. Do some strength training (I hired a trainer to get me started, but now work out on my own). It will change your life! Logging food has helped me lately as my hormones started to change and i was struggling with fat loss. I started logging on MFP a few months ago and it has made a huge difference.

Seriously, weight lifting is amazing. Good luck!
  • formercouchpotato0812
    Options
    One of the things I did back on Memorial Day is to eleminate all snack foods. These are the processed foods that have lot's of High Frutcose Corn Syrup. I also have limited my coffee to one or two cups in the morning. The rest of the day, I drink Green tea with Agave sweetner. This keeps my sugar level stable and eliminates those "hunger pangs."
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    40 is the new 30,don't sweat it,you'll be fine.Just keep taking one day at atime and dong your workouts,logging your food diary really helps! Best of luck to you! I just turned 40 and want to lose 40 lbs.
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MFP will help you a lot. It will track your food (you'll be surprised at what goes in your mouth), and you can also plan your meals around the percentages of carbs, protein, and fat. I try to focus mine around a higher protein diet. I'm 42 and am hypothyroid, so I hear you! I had 60 lbs to lose (now only 40 thanks to MFP and support from friends!), but if you only have 10, you'll do it in no time! Weight lifting can also help because forming muscle helps burn more fat. Just restructuring a few things can help you take it off in no time! Feel free to friend me!
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I freaked out last year when I turned 38. I lost 80 lbs between then and now. By gods, when I'm 40, I'm going to fabulous!
    Good for you!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I just turned 43 this month. Turning 40 isn't so bad. You are so much wiser now! I don't get upset over the small stuff anymore and I'm more patient. I think turning 40 is something to celebrate because it means you have reached a point in your life that only makes you better. It's funny because in your 20's you think you know everything, in your 30's you think you have life figured out, in your 40's you realize there is still a lot to learn and you look forward to it.
  • formercouchpotato0812
    Options
    I don't know about turning 40, because I turned 66 this past January and was a real live "couch potato!"

Now, I'm a Reformed Couch Potato, logging my food daily, exercising every other day with lifting and swimming. My weight loss goal is 1 pound a week for the next 52 weeks. So far, I'm down 24 lbs. since Memorial Day and I attribute it to the grace of God. I don't have much self control but He works through me and in me. God is good!
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I will be 47 in January and tonight a twenty-something personal trainer in the gym told me I was "amazingly toned all over". As you can imagine, it made me feel great. 8 years ago I was a bit chunky and had never exercised in my life. Do some strength training (I hired a trainer to get me started, but now work out on my own). It will change your life! Logging food has helped me lately as my hormones started to change and i was struggling with fat loss. I started logging on MFP a few months ago and it has made a huge difference.

Seriously, weight lifting is amazing. Good luck!

I'm 41...almost 42 and recently lost 16 pounds. I have 4 more to reach goal. It wasn't until I started lifting weights that my body actually started to change. I couldn't agree more....weight lifting reshapes your body!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me! I am 40, not overweight, but want to lose about 9 pounds (and build my muscles!)
    Feel free to add me!