Oats, Oatmeal, steel cut

Options
Start out by saying I grew up on oatmeal and absolutely hated it. So, as I like to think I'm evolved and open minded, I'm willing to give it one more shot. What kind of steel cut oats can I mix with hot water and not have it turn to mush? Can they be mixed I. With yogurt or does it have to be cooked. I've heard u can get sick from uncooked oats. Myth?
Suggestions? I may be open to actually putting cold milk on hot cereal... :) thanks in advance.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like my oats cooked with almond milk (unsweetened vanilla). I don't like them raw, they are too tough and chewy. Steel cut oats are awesome. I buy the 5-minute to cook oats and I add a couple egg whites to cook in them. I also like a little sweetener and some peanut butter in mine.
  • dennisgp
    dennisgp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat steel oats every morning, but I found an easy way to make it, microwave. There is a product call "100% Steel Cut Oats with Vermont Maple Syrup" from a company called "Good Food Made Simple." This product has no additives or artificial stuff and it taste great (1/2 cup is a 180 calories). The product is in the frozen isle of the grocery store and I just microwave it for 4 minutes and its is ready to eat. The maple product as a hint of sugar. So far I have lost 41 lbs, not because of "Steel Oats," but I think for not skipping breakfast and lots of cardio exercise. The company also has "egg whites" that I like too. The egg white (1 egg patty 35 calories) are also microwaveable for a little over a minute and they are ready to eat. As you can tell I am a guy and I need simple man instructions, microwavable. Here is the company website in regards to the products: http://goodfoodmadesimple.com/ . Good luck everyone.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Google 'overnight oats'.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I did a search on overnight oats and that looks to be what I want. I don't like a lot of sweet added to it, maybe that's part of my aversion. I will give some of these a try.
    kdiamond: Do you cook in your egg whites with real egg or the stuff from the carton?