Having a hard time getting enough calories...

Options
Hello! I am a 17 year old girl who is currently fighting an eating disorder (anorexia). It wasn't a severe eating disorder. I just restricted my calories to 600-800 a day. I lost a third of my body weight. I was 154 at my heaviest, I am now 106. I am 5, 8' and I know that I'm killing myself. I'm tired of having no energy and having calories control my life and ruining my relationships. I have stopped counting my calories on here because it makes my anxiety worse, but I still use this sight for the support. I figure skate 2 times a week, I take Super Fit at school every day and I walk home from school (30 minutes) every day. I have done research and I know that if I didn't do ANY exercise ever, and I just sat around all day, I would need 1800 calories a day to maintain. I'm trying to up my calories but I've only got to about 1000 calories a day on average. Any suggestions on what I can do? Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• icedragon009
    Options
    Hi There,

It is nice to see that you know what is happening and are seeking help and to get healthier, :)
    Have you been to see a doctor about this at all? If not this maybe something I would do in your case just to make sure everything is ok and they should be able to help you out with introducing back in food to the right amount.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The number that you are saying is your BMR (1800) is way too high. I input your height, weight and age and got back 950, not 1800.

I used this site everyone talks about on here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I think that going from 600-800 to 1000 calories a day is still a great improvement and you should be proud.
    I don't know what you eat or like, but just try to sneak in some high calorie ingredients into what you already eat
    -quinoa is super healthy. high in protein and calories
    -peanut butter
    -nuts
    -avocado
    -chickpeas (can add to your salad)

Things like that.

I am very glad that you are making a change for the better and I hope that you are able to stick with it. If you can't jump up (to 1800 immediately) then don't. Just take it steady. Also, just to keep in mind, if your body has been deprived for that long, as you increase calories you will most likely see a weight gain as your body adjusts. It still will think it is starving and try to store all of the extra food, until it gets accustomed to you feeding it like you should. Then you can lose or maintain as you wish.

Good Luck!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you're at roughly 1000, maybe find small ways to add 80-100 calories per meal; that will at least put you at 1200-1500 for the day pending on how many meals you have a day. Way to take steps in the right direction :)
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Dried fruit and nuts. Cream your coffee. Jam on toast. Jam on yogurt. Start snacking. Consider drinking calories.

You'll find your own way. We all heal in different ways.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The number that you are saying is your BMR (1800) is way too high. I input your height, weight and age and got back 950, not 1800.

I used this site everyone talks about on here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR is NOT maintenance -- unless you are bedridden and resting all day long. TDEE is maintenance. The original poster is exercising and currently underweight for her height, so she should be eating at least maintenance for her healthy weight, if she can.

To the original poster. Great that you recognize you were hurting yourself. Perhaps you could talk to a nutritionist to help you eat healthy, and not just more. Some of the other suggestions here were good -- try for nutritious and calorie-denser foods. Some are
    avocado
    nuts
    peanut butter
    salmon
    When you should eat more, but aren't hungry, have just a little bit. It may stimulate your digestive system, and even if it doesn't, you had a bit more than nothing.

Stay away from "diet" foods with weird ingredients. And while your adjusting, please take your vitamins and maybe some omega 3 supplements. A doctor who specializes in weight issues who I heard speak recently suggested that rather than selecting a specific target weight, pick a range, it's easier, accommodates normal fluctuations and removes some of the pressure. I'm not an expert, but good luck being healthier, having more energy, enjoying your life and being happier!
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Be encouraged that you're taking steps to get yourself well!! I am on the other end of the "food issue" scale, which is that I am overweight because I eat too much - but I'm getting on top of that these days. :smile: I am succeeding in my battle because I am learning to take one day at a time & cut out a little here & there. When I come in under my calorie goal (which happens most days now) I am super proud of myself - & if I blow it, well then I just know I'm human!!! If you can, maybe try adding a little snack here & there, some good fats maybe. Are there foods you really love, that you don't fear? Maybe stick to them for the most part? I wouldn't recommend suddenly taking in a whole lot more calories each day - be kind to your body & go gradual. I'll be here cheering you on - you are a brave lady & you deserve to be happy!!!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Seek a nutritionist...and check out my thread with some links on fitness..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/743724-useful-links-for-you-must-read
  • aleana90
    aleana90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe drink "boost" or nutrition drinks ALONG with your meals.. they have strawberry or chocolate flavored and tend to be about 200 calories but when chilled taste quite yummy and would give you added calories in a healthy way
  • dotmango
    dotmango Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We are all so proud of you! Olive oil on everything you like it on, healthy dips like hummus with crackers and veggies. Try smoothies, especially with your high calorie fruits(mangos are great for that, so are bananas).
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

BMR is NOT maintenance -- unless you are bedridden and resting all day long. TDEE is maintenance. The original poster is exercising and currently underweight for her height, so she should be eating at least maintenance for her healthy weight, if she can.

To the original poster. Great that you recognize you were hurting yourself. Perhaps you could talk to a nutritionist to help you eat healthy, and not just more. Some of the other suggestions here were good -- try for nutritious and calorie-denser foods. Some are
    avocado
    nuts
    peanut butter
    salmon
    When you should eat more, but aren't hungry, have just a little bit. It may stimulate your digestive system, and even if it doesn't, you had a bit more than nothing.

Stay away from "diet" foods with weird ingredients. And while your adjusting, please take your vitamins and maybe some omega 3 supplements. A doctor who specializes in weight issues who I heard speak recently suggested that rather than selecting a specific target weight, pick a range, it's easier, accommodates normal fluctuations and removes some of the pressure. I'm not an expert, but good luck being healthier, having more energy, enjoying your life and being happier!

I really liked this answer sweetheart. I'm glad you come here for support but you really should have a nutritionist or doctor helping you with your diet. Good luck to you precious young one.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    I/some friends were in a similar situation. You can also sorta trick your mind by eating foods that don't seem like much but are still healthy and have lots of calories at the same time - especially nuts helps a lot. Just eating a handful of peanuts doesn't seem like a ton of food at all but it will have enough calories to up your intake a little more if that's your goal!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Losing a third of your body weight is actually pretty serious. Nonetheless, overcoming the psychological factor of your eating disorder is a definite step forward.

There are various approaches to weight recovery for anorexics with the elected method mainly dependent on the degree of malnourishment: some promote a smaller increase of calories while others a much larger. Calories are not the only concern, however, as improving proper fluid and electrolyte balance is also essential since VLCDs are noted for being deficient in minerals such as potassium and magnesium. Thus, multivitamins are often prescribed.

It may seem as though increasing calories to what your body will eventually require is a rather large amount, but during refeeding, anorexics display a hypermetabolic state which allows them to quickly adjust to higher caloric intake in a short amount of time. One of the reasons behind this is due to the energy requirements per kg of weight in an anorexic is actually greater than that by a normal weight person.

Most doctors who prescribe a traditional approach will start a patient at 1200 calories including 3 meals and 3 snacks with an increase of 200 calories every other day. It's very common for patients to end up eating 2600+ calories during the final weeks to optimize the return of Resting Metabolic Rate and hormonal functioning. The higher the calories at baseline predicts faster weight gain with a weight gain expectancy of 2.5 kg per 17 days.

Those under a more rapid refeed - severe malnourishment - will be fed nutrient dense foods at a total of 70 to 100 calories per kg per day. The plan here is to promote weight gain of 4 to 7 lbs per week. This rapid refeed is comprised of 4 stages, each focusing on various amounts of the macronutrients protein, carbs and fats.

In Stage 1, 55-60% of calories comes from carbohydrates, 15% from proteins and the remaining 25 to 30% from lipids. This stages continues for 3 to 4 days and reduces painful GI function. Stage 2 lasts between 1 to 2 weeks depending how much weight needs to be regained. Carbs are decreased to 50%, protein up to 20% and lipids remain the same. With Stage 3, lipids are increased further to 30 to 35% and carbs and proteins are adjusted to the individual depending on degree of inflammation experienced during the healing process. Finally, Stage 4 has a distribution of 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% lipids.

You should contact a doctor specializing in eating disorders to see which refeeding pattern is best for your individual needs and concerns.
  • crazylikefox
    Options

I can't decide if inferring that an anorexic girl eat under a thousand calories is vanilla ignorance, or actively malicious evil.

OP, I'm so happy you've taken the tough first steps in seeing the problem. I know you are strong enough to seek the help and support that will help you be victorious in your fight!