New member, starting tomorrow morning!

Options
So I was online browsing forums, when I came across someone talking about MFP. I decided hey, why not try it out. I just signed up and I LOVE it already! I went ahead and posted tons of food that I eat into "my foods" so I can easily track from the app I downloaded on my phone. This is going to be so much easier than keeping a notebook in my hand all the time! I am really excited!

Here is my story. I am a 23 year old female, 4 foot 8 (very petite) and 151 pounds! I have had two children, ages four and five, via c-section. I was 100 when I got pregnant and got to 140. I lost 20 after he was born. Then I got pregnant with my daughter and got up to 160. After she was born, I lost 20, going down to about 140 pounds. Then, I gained 15 simply from eating McDonalds and drinking soda EVERY day. I am not kidding when I say I ate McDonalds at least once a day for the last four or five years. All of my weight seems to be in my stomach and thigh area. My weight loss goal is to get about 130. My BMI calculator says I need to be at least 110 to be "healthy" and not "obese". I believe that is because I am so short.

The past year, I have been working my way off of the fast food. I cut soda out and replaced it with water and the energy grape packets from Walmart. I go a few weeks without McDonalds, and then go on a few day binge. I literally feel like I am having withdrawls. When I stop eating fast food, I go a few weeks feeling "shaky and weak" and have to shove as much junk in my mouth as possible to feel better. I feel like I am going to faint. I had blood work done, but testing negative for diabetes or any other issues. My blood sugar was 69 when it is supposed to be 70, but they said that was not significant. I also have high cholesterol levels.

I also started phentermine about a week ago, half a pill of the 37.5mg tablet. I know this is NOT healthy, but I was getting desperate.

I have three bulging discs in my neck and severe carpal tunnel, along with a pinched nerve. Whenever I work out, my arms get weak and I can't lift them over my head (began in Zumba class). I am scared to exercise because the weak hands are debilitating. I can't lift/grip/carry things for days after. I used to have to sleep with arm braces for the CT, but now it seems to be easing down a little.

My biggest problem is I do not eat healthy. I grew up on McDonalds, fast food, pizza, ramen noodles, mac and cheese, etc. I never ate vegetables OR fruits until recently. I don't like anything because I am not used to it. I have to force basically everything down. I enjoy corn, peas, bananas, and potatoes <--all the worst ones you can have. I have changed my diet around to low carbish. I am eating a lot of meat and mixed veggies, cheese sticks, and fruit cups. An example of my diet is a banana, a piece of balogna, string cheese, fruit cup, pork and veggie. I don't think I am getting enough calories.

I just wanted to kind of vent and get my story out there. I always try to google forums of people who have similar stories and read the responses they get, but it is never as good as posting your own. I look forward to our weight loss journey! Thank you guys!

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I am 23 years old, female, 5'4". I started at 207lbs and am currently at 186. :D
    I worked at Mcdonald's for 5 years as a manager, so I know that it can be addicting.
    I would be glad to be friends and offer support (or a friendly reminder when you binge on McD's) if you want to add me as a friend.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Oh. And I hope you love MFP and stick to it. I love it.
  • almalaurathomas
    Options
    Thank you! I really hope I stick with it and don't binge! I feel so crappy for two or three weeks after, and it just isn't worth it! Congrats on your weight loss! I'm glad we can be friends!
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bingeing is an indication that you may not be getting enough calories or nutrients. Your body is saying "AHHHH HUNGRY MUST EAT ALL THE FOOD!" Logging your meals here is a great first step that lets you go over what you're actually eating. If you keep your calories consistent and not too low, it can help you learn how much you're supposed to eat and how you should feel on a consistent, healthy diet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou: I posted on your Phentermine thread, and I thought I should officially say "hi" on your intro thread.

I agree with the previous poster, you go on binges because your body intinctively needs certain nutrients. McDonalds food doesn't have much nutritional value.

Try to always, always get your protein in. The number for Protein on your Food Diary is a MINIMUM goal to strive for. Going over your protein here is a good thing.

Then work on your fats. Get enough of these through healthy sources like nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil. One portion of cheese or butter a day is plenty. Eggs are good.

Once you start meeting those goals, start to fine-tune your food intake to meet all your nutritional needs. Calcium, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Potassium etc.

Eating the right things, and enough protein, will stop your cravings.

The one thing you don't want to do is go over on your Carbs. That will just increase your cravings for more carbs.
  • almalaurathomas
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Your information was very helpful. I am trying to eat as much protein as I can! I love meat. I am very picky so I am working on expanding my food options. It is very hard since I grew up on JUNK!
  • jenshoeee
    jenshoeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also grew up on eating junk. My parent's would let me have whatever I wanted and I think that's where/how my weight problems started. They continued by me getting a job. I have money to eat out whenever I wanted. To make things worse, I turned 21. Drinking and junk food are my two biggest issues. I have been doing good now! I decided enough is enough.

If you'd like to talk more or anything, feel free to add me.
  • lizzieokane
    lizzieokane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're doing it the right way and you'll feel SOOOO much better after sticking with it for little while! It's definitely not easy but it will be worth it when your kids grow up seeing their mom making healthy eating choices. Good luck! You got this!