Do you refrigerate your ketchup?

Options

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Bottle says refrigerate after opening. I know we have always kept it in the fridge.

Now, peanut butter stored in the fridge...HECK NO!!! We did for years but after finally having enough with hard peanut butter punching holes through soft bread, into the cupboard it went.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    aren't you supposed to?
    For "best results" but it makes my potatoes cold.

"for best results"? What brand are you buying?
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    yes u refrigerate ketchup... irks me when people refrigerate peanutbutter.. u crazy bro sh-ts never gonna spread!!

I can't not reply to this one......one of my sons (don't know which one....doesn't really matter...) Put my Uncle's Peanut Butter jar in the freezer in the middle of the night one night. Took him most of the next day before he had to open his freezer for something and found it. Sucker was rock solid, it was awesome.

As for the ketchup, yes, it gets refrigerated. So does mayo, miracle whip, mustard, bbq sauce......
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    we've always kept ours in the fridge - mostly because it says so on the bottle. id imagine if you use it fast enough it wouldnt matter though... i work at an AM/PM (gas station/convenience store) and we sell hot food. we have a condiment dispenser, and all of them (mayo, mustard, ketchup, bbq, ranch) have a 7 day pull date after opening.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I refrigerate mine but have yet to see a restaurant that does. They always leave them out, even over night, day after day. So, I really think it is just a matter of preference. i don't believe it is a necessity. :)
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    aren't you supposed to?
    For "best results" but it makes my potatoes cold.

"for best results"? What brand are you buying?
    Heinz of course!
  • sbowl
    sbowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    According to the Heinz website (http://www.heinzketchup.com/faq.aspx):

Q: Do I need to refrigerate Ketchup?

A: Because of its natural acidity, Heinz® Ketchup is shelf-stable. However, its stability after opening can be affected by storage conditions. We recommend that this product, like any processed food, be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration will maintain the best product quality after opening.

I think restaurants don't bother to refrigerate because they go through ketchup MUCH faster than a regular household.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've done the safe food handling training here in Australia and I ALWAYS refrigerate my tomato sauce (that's Aussie for ketchup, by the way. :)
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I assume since it's made with tomatoes, it would go bad quickly if left out.... gross.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I put most of my sauces in the fridge - the climate in Australia is too hot not to! Warm sauce? Ewwwww!
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ok, I dont mean to hijack the ketchup thread but I have a buddy and his whole family leaves the butter out on the counter. Is it ust me or is that freakin weird?
  • katiefly86
    Options
    In my household we do not refrigerate ketchup!! Never had an issue with it! I too use Heinz!!!
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I refrigerate my ketchup but I don't do that with peanut butter or mustard.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well at least this isn't some weird post touting that there's a metabolic advantage to cold ketchup vs warm ketchup. Progress.
  • katiefly86
    Options
    Ok, I dont mean to hijack the ketchup thread but I have a buddy and his whole family leaves the butter out on the counter. Is it ust me or is that freakin weird?
    My grandma uses real butter and does this, and I too think it's strange! Lol! But, then again, I use margarine (supposed to be refrigerated), so what do I know!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've always kept it in the refridgerator. And it's got to be Heinz!
  • Goonygugu
    Options
    Yes. I'm such a pushover. I should be a rebel, but the "refrigerate after opening" gets me every time. I do it to the mayonnaise too.

This!! :noway:
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No we do that too lol
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

No, we do it too. It's much easier to use if it's room temperature. But I grew up doing that. I don't bat an eyelash at it, honestly.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I like my ketchup be red and not brown.