Ive lost weight but I dont feel that much better!

Options
When I graduated nursing school last year in June, I weighed 148 pounds. I am 5'4". I was a size 9, a tight size 9 and I had a muffin top and didnt feel comfortable weariing any snug fitting top without a cardigan or a sweater over it. I could hide everything under scrubs as a nurse!
Then I got tired of feeling so heavy and feeling everything jiggle as I walked. I didn't have much energy and I wasn't motivated to work out at a gym that was down the street from my house at my college. One of my friends, ex-friends had worked out with me occasionally but it was inconsistent and sporadic. I also wasn't on a diet. I ate whatever I wanted. And I ate out every day, multiple times a day. I was making small progress. Minimal.
In May I began to diet very strictly. No fast food, salads, high protien, no carbs, no sweets, etc. But I was not exercising enough to lose weight quick enough. I was very deconditioned. The first month is the hardest and most important! You truly learn about what your willing to tolerate and do for your body. After jogging 15 minutes, my sides would start to hurt and I would become short of breath, like I couldnt take it anymore. In about a month and half, my strength increased and I was running 20 miinutes, no problem. I got less cravings for unhealthy foods and craved lean meants and fresh ingredients more than anything. The only problem was I was still casuall drinking with friends. Mixed drinks, cocktails, beers.
I am still not willing to change that.
I do however want to educate myself better on muscle building and fat percentage loss. I need book suggestions.
I work out 5 times a week now. And I lift weights almost everyday. I alternate using the treadmill and stair climber machine. I worked my way up to 37 minutes on the treadmill, Lightly running. And I'm at 16 minutes on the stair climber, at a low intensity level. Which is very difficult still.
I now weigh 127.4 pounds. As of today. I am a size 4-7, depending on the band of clothing.
My bust went from a 36 to a 34, but I'm still a C cup thank god!
My thighs still touch but they dont rub as much and my shorts dont ride up! My legs dont jiggle when I walk and my glutes feel higher. I havent measured inches but I plan on doing that next!
i eat 2-3 times a day, low carb, sugar-free, high protien, low fat. I don't count calories.
I feel like I have more energy, confidence and stamina! But despite having more energy, my confidence could be better, and I feel like I still am too strict with eating as if Im depriving myself of foods I really like. I think Im over disciplining myself. But the end result of it is good and I feel like it's worth it. And I enjoy having less guilt. Actually zero guilt. Anyways, thats my success story :)

Replies

• zoeluiisa
    Options
    Sounds like you DO feel better to me! Well done.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

agreed!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing :) Nothing about not feeling better except the title, so maybe a typo.
  • shedaeday
    Options
    I guess Im highlighting that just losing weight and looking better is NOT going to instantly just make aspects in your life better. And of course that seems obvious but I had expectations about my outlook and perspective.. I still have the same stresses like everyone else.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That is so true. I've heard many people have this idea that their life will suddenly be perfect when they lose weight and then they find that they still have the same friends, same job, same family issues. Those things don't just disappear because the weight does.

It's a very astute observation. A lot of people battle with it. You're not alone!
  • rickhefner
    Options
    I like counting calories (and this site makes it easy) because it gives me confidence. Before counting calories, when I "dieted", I never knew whether I was being strict enough, or why I had set-backs. Now I know that if I hold to my allocation of calories, I'm good. I don't feel guilty having that drink, or that sweet, beause I KNOW I'm still under and will lose weight. (BTW, you'd be surprised how many calories some alcoholic drinks have in them. Recoding the calories helps you make better choices. Now, when I'm out with friends, I know where I stand for the day - if I'm under, I have the drink guiltfree - if not, I'm happy with water.)
  • HMToomey
    Options
    I guess Im highlighting that just losing weight and looking better is NOT going to instantly just make aspects in your life better. And of course that seems obvious but I had expectations about my outlook and perspective.. I still have the same stresses like everyone else.

I know what you mean! I think a lot of us tell ourselves if I lose weight I'll be happy, fall in love, get my life together etc... But the truth is for those things to happen you need to love who you are! It's the hardest thing in the world to let yourself love yourself and build yourself up but it is really, really worth it! :)

Congratulations on your new self! :)
  • shedaeday
    Options

I know what you mean! I think a lot of us tell ourselves if I lose weight I'll be happy, fall in love, get my life together etc... But the truth is for those things to happen you need to love who you are! It's the hardest thing in the world to let yourself love yourself and build yourself up but it is really, really worth it! :)

Congratulations on your new self! :)

Thank you, yes so true, if you dont love yourself, how can people love you ;)
  • shedaeday
    Options
    I like counting calories (and this site makes it easy) because it gives me confidence. Before counting calories, when I "dieted", I never knew whether I was being strict enough, or why I had set-backs. Now I know that if I hold to my allocation of calories, I'm good. I don't feel guilty having that drink, or that sweet, beause I KNOW I'm still under and will lose weight. (BTW, you'd be surprised how many calories some alcoholic drinks have in them. Recoding the calories helps you make better choices. Now, when I'm out with friends, I know where I stand for the day - if I'm under, I have the drink guiltfree - if not, I'm happy with water.)

Youre right, alcoholic drinks have so many hidden calories, its terrible!! All i wanna do sometimes is just sip a girly drink without having to taste alcohol :( and unfortunately, club soda or tonic water doesnt cover it up!
  • shedaeday
    Options
    That is so true. I've heard many people have this idea that their life will suddenly be perfect when they lose weight and then they find that they still have the same friends, same job, same family issues. Those things don't just disappear because the weight does.

It's a very astute observation. A lot of people battle with it. You're not alone!

:) my whole life has changed! i left my old town due to a bad relationship that was wearing me out. so i literally have all those new things :) but im still me!!! some things i love, some things i dont!! lol!!
  • shedaeday
    Options

Thanks girl :)!! I do in some physical ways!!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You've done great, you look great, and it really sounds like your head and your heart are in the right place. I am totally confused by the title of your post though!
  • shedaeday
    Options
    You've done great, you look great, and it really sounds like your head and your heart are in the right place. I am totally confused by the title of your post though!

THanks!! I didnt realize that the title was that inaccurate until i posted this thread.. Writing helps to process my thoughts and feelings I guess. Then I tried to edit ithe title and I couldnt -_-
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!