Anyone else have lupus or fibromyalgia?

Almost 2 years ago I was diagnosed with lupus, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. I was only 38, seemed way too young to have so many things wrong but it did explain the issues I'd been having before that. I felt like crap for a long time and didn't do any exercise, not that I'd been an avid exerciser before that. Heading towards 40 and hating what I was seeing in the mirror made me realize I had to do something. My rheumatologist told me I could swim or do Tai Chi but that was it as far as exercising. Neither of those are easy for me to do because of other factors. I've been working out using my Wii Fit to try to get in shape and lose weight as my doctor said it would be better for my joints. Some people don't understand though why I don't ride my bike or jog or even do heavy weights but those things would tear my body up. Just wondering what others do and any tips you might have.

Replies

• crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    im 24 and have fibro, ive had it a few years now. my wii fit is a gods send for bad days as i can do gentle yoga if nothing else. i have found swimming helps but it does hurt and can cause flares if im not careful. best advice, do what feels right for you and dont push it. yoga is very good though if you want to give it a try. start off small though
  • I feel your pain. I was diagnosed at 38 with nerve damage. Because of it I can't walk without a cane, have constant pains in my legs, arms, and lower back. Walking more than a mile is impossible, and then there's the tremors in my hands. I have gone from working and being able to do almost anything, to applying for SSDI and laying in bed most of the day. It really sucks. Since staying at home I got up to 364 pounds. I now weigh 310 pounds thanks to myfitnesspal.com. Exercise is hard for me to do also because of my condition. I use my elliptical machine and try to do 700 steps a night. I know it's not alot, but it's better than nothing. I also try to do some weight training. I've set a goal to weigh 245 pounds by February of 2013. Keep up the faith, do what you can, and look forward to the good days.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    I don't have lupus or FM, but I do have ME, which carries a lot of the same symptoms. It often makes me feel inadequate that I can't exercise the way I see and read about other people doing. When I've tried to do that in the past, I've ended up making myself a lot worse and taking a long time to recover.

Now I just do pilates, mostly on a machine (my mother kindly gave me her reformer when she upgraded to a newer model). I'm hoping to eventually get some cardio in, either with the cardio rebounder on the reformer or when I can finally afford an exercise bike, but for the moment the gentle pilates is enough to get me moving and help strengthen me up.
  • Yes, I have lupus, sjogrens, RA and fibromyalgia. With that being said exercising can be challenging because of the lack of energy I have. Any suggestions?