Interactive charts of myfitnesspal data

Options
Hi everyone.

For a bit of fun I built an app which provides interactive charts of average daily calories and weight using myfitnesspal data. The motivation for it was seeing how weight can fluctuate quite a lot from day to day, so being able to see an average figure seemed helpful. It also allows you to see the correlation between calories and weight over long periods, which is pretty useful.

If you'd like to check it out, please go to http://coogeewebstudio.com/resources/mfp/chart.php in a browser. It's optimized for the iPad but works on desktops (running a modern browser) and smaller devices too. You need to log in with your MFP username and password, and the app will go off and download the last month's data. All comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Cheers

David

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    That sounds great, and I am interested. What's your privacy policy, and what happens to the data? There's no info on the page you linked to.
  • sparky532
    Options
    Hi there - thanks for the interest.

The app's very much in 'development mode' at the moment so I hadn't yet turned my mind to things like privacy - but it's a good point.

I do need to store data on my server otherwise every chart would take some minutes to generate - I have to use a script to get a web page from MFP for every date on the chart. I don't think there's any commercial value in the data I'd be gathering though and naturally I'd be happy to delete a user's data if they requested it.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    That sounds really interesting, bump for later :-)
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MsBunnyBaby
    Options
    For later
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I will take a look when I get home and have the iPad!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Trying...

That is really neat to see the weight going down and the calorie intake going up. Wishing it would pick up my exercise though...

Thanks for posting!
  • sparky532
    Options
    Thanks for the interest everyone! There seems to be a problem with it picking up the exercise calories for a lot of people though - sorry about that. It would be really helpful if someone experiencing that problem could help me diagnose it, by sending me a copy of their food diary page as follows:

1. Log into myfitnesspal.com on the PC
    2. Go to the 'Food' tab
    3. Save a copy of the html page somewhere on your hard drive (usually the key combination Alt + F, then S works, or File -> Save As)
    4. Email the html file to me at david@coogeewebstudio.com

For me the exercise shows up on that page as 'You've earned [ ] extra calories from exercise today', which is where I've been getting the exercise data. It must be that for some people it says something different for some reason.

Thank you for your help!
  • sparky532
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's tried using the charts so far and especially to those that have provided feedback.

The glitch loading exercise calories has now been fixed, so please feel free to log back in and update your data.

I've made the URL a bit more user-friendly - you can now find the charts at http://coogeewebstudio.com.au/resources/mfp

I hope you find it useful!