Its been a week in a half, i havent even lost one pound! Hel

Options
A year ago, i was on the "depo birth control shot, and it made me gain 35 pounds. I was in a size 5, now im in a 10. I dont feel attractive anymore, and i dont like to get dress up and go out with the girls anymore. Im just miserable. My mother brought the idea across my head that i should just stop the shot, and the weight would just drop right off since im always active and everything.

Well, she was wrong. Here i am a year later, still the same weight and still as miserable. Then my boyfriend came up with this idea that we should start working out at the gym. And then this idea hit me, that maybe i could get on a diet and drop this 30 pounds in time for graduation!

I have been working out for a week now, everyday, 2 or more miles a day. I have been eating right, keeping my calories down below 1200 and drinking plenty of water. I eat lilttle meals, 5 times a day.

Today, i went to the bathroom, pulled out the scale, feeling really confident that i have lost some weight. But when i stepped on, i weight the same then what i have been a week ago. I am so upset. I feel like im gettting no where and theres no point in even trying. But i know i dont need to be like that, i need to stay confident and i will get some where. My mom said you lose inches before you do weight, i dont know if thats true of not. Someone please tell me whats wrong, or what im doing is wrong, or i just weighed mysef way way way to soon, and i just needs time.

Replies

• dalejackson
    Options
    Keep it up! Do NOT get discouraged after a week. Keep exercising... I swear that's the secret. There is no way that if you keep doing what you are doing that you won't lose weight!
  • teebear1985
    teebear1985 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my birth control and then we decided to have a baby and I added even more weight. I can tell you a few things that seem to help me. When you start working out you build muscle and since you are building muscle your weight may not change and can even go up and first but if you keep track of your inches you might feel better. I also read in a fitness magazine that you should try to weigh yourself everyday at around the same time. You can see how your weight is fluctuating that way and make tiny changes. Also for women it seems that your may not lose the weight if you are around your cycle. I know that the week before my cycle I don't seem to lose any weight and then when it is over I magically drop 3-4 lbs. So everyone's body is different but hang in there. Hope that helps!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    1 week is not enough time to say something is not working or even to ask for help.

First of all, take a deep breath and relax. Stressing will only make the weight harder to come off..........

Your body is going through some changes and you don't have much to lose, so it is just not going to fall off like that over night.

Focus on the positive things like:

1. How are you feeling? More energy?
    2. Are you sleeping better?
    3. Are you feeling satisfied with the foods you are eating?
    4. How do you feel after exercising?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I have been eating right, keeping my calories down below 1200 and drinking plenty of water.

Nuh-uh. That's not "eating right."

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • zumbaluv909
    Options
    I JUST JOIN MYFITNESSPAL THIS WEEK BUT I HAVE BEEN WORKINGOUT AND DIETING FOR A LONG TIME I USE TO GET AGRAVATTED ABOUT NOT LOSING. I WOULD START MEASURING YOURSELF EVERY WHERE WRITE IT DOWN AND THEN EVERY WEEK WEIGH AND MEASURE YOUR SELF AND YOU WILL SEE RESULTS YOU MAY HAVE LOST INCHES AND WEIGHT THATS WHAT MY BODY DID BECAUSE I WORKED OUT SO MUCH. P.S. I AM A ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR YOU SHOULD PICK THIS WORKOUT UP IT IS SO FUN (IT IS THE ONLY WORKOUT I HAVE STUCK TO) IT IS A FUSION OF LATIN HIP HOP AND INTERNATIONAL MUSIC DANCING WITH FITNESS MOVES ADDED INTO IT . ITS MORE LIKE A PARTY THAN A WORKOUT . YOU AN BURN ABOUT 600 CLORIES IN AN HOUR .
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    Just keep with it. You may not have dropped any weight yet, but you will. Perhaps you have lost an inch or two. With working out your body replaces the fat with lean muscle. Point is your becoming healthier and in time you will see the weight come off.
  • marypetteys
    Options
    You might be gaining muscle mass (which weighs more then fat). You muscles will start burning the calories off from your workout long after you are finished.

Hang in there! Keep going. Don't give up.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Keep it up!!!
    Did you put on the weight in a week? In a month? I doubt it.

Have you taken measurements? If not, do that immediately. You may find your mother is right, and you are losing inches not lbs.
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Did you think to take some measurements before you started? If not, do them now. chest, waist, hips, thigh maybe, and calf maybe. Use that, as well as the scale, as I am sure everyone will tell you muscle weighs more than fat and your workouts might just be very effective at creating muscle. don't give up....you will begin to see changes. Keep an eye on the nutritional content, and make sure sugar is staying in line with 'goal'.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

I have been eating right, keeping my calories down below 1200 and drinking plenty of water.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I have to agree with one of my #1 motivators on this site. She is right. Your metabolism is shutting itself down to conserve if you are eating less than 1200 calories. You have to stay above 1200 or this battle will be harder than it needs to be! I did the starvation thing, and sure I lost, but it all came back. I too gained weight; about 80 lbs from 2 rounds of depo. I know your pain. Just stick with us, we are a great network and DO NOT GIVE UP!!

• I have been eating right, keeping my calories down below 1200 and drinking plenty of water.

Read these:

I have to agree with one of my #1 motivators on this site. She is right. Your metabolism is shutting itself down to conserve if you are eating less than 1200 calories. You have to stay above 1200 or this battle will be harder than it needs to be! I did the starvation thing, and sure I lost, but it all came back. I too gained weight; about 80 lbs from 2 rounds of depo. I know your pain. Just stick with us, we are a great network and DO NOT GIVE UP!!

I agree with this 100%. You actually need to take in around 1400-1500 calories, may just run another mile a day. Below 1200 your body is going to conserve all of its fat resources because it thinks your starving. Also I would try to make sure you drink atleast 4 bottles of 16.9oz of water. You may have lost body fat and gained water weight. Drinking more will let your body not store as much and you should see results on the scale.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I gained on the shot also, but getting that shot didn't put 35 lbs on you overnight. It took time to gain and it will take time to lose.
    I saw that you said you are eating under 1200 :noway: EAT MORE!
    Even more so If you are exercising, you need to eat back the burned cals and eat 1200 min, not under 1200. 1200+
    You might start to lose once your body is feeling like it is being feed again.
    Good luck, don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Anything below 1200 isn't eating right. And even if you eat 1200-1500 you still have to be careful about what you eat because you have absolutely no wiggle room for empty calories.

Your body isn't stupid. If you starve it, it will store absolutely any excess as fat. So if you do over indulge after severe restriction - you'll really pack on the pounds. It is necessary to restrict calories to loose weight, but 1200-1500 daily is necessary - and then you need to make sure that within those calories is enough calcium, fiber, Vit C, etc. Plan your meals ahead of time and make careful choices. You will see results...but if it took a year to put it on it should take a year to take it back off.
  • DanceAngel25
    Options
    Hi! You need to keep exercising and eating a high protein diet. You won't lose weight this fast! it takes time and once you get your diet straight you will start seeing results! For example, I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day and am on a strictly high protein diet. I eat no more than 100g carbs , 180g protein and 40g fats a day. I only drink water and tea. I try not to eat breads and have stopped eating any kind of desserts. I have lost 15 lbs since the beginning of December. There is a great site called www.bodybuilding.com. They have so much information about diet and exercise! For you diet is key! It's all about what you're eating that will help you loose or gain weight or stay the same in your case. I would definitely suggest that you also go on www.bodybuilding.com/guides and look at their fitness plans. It will tell you how much you specifically need to eat and in what amounts. Like how many calories, carbs, proteins, and fats you should be eating for your weight and height. Keep on eating right and exercising and you WILL see results! I guarantee you! Good luck!
  • haileyco
    Options
    Remeber, that when you start exercising your muscles retain water at first, and the first 5-10 pounds of weight loss are usually water weight, so I am sure you are just holding onto a little water!! Also you should never go under 1200 calories perday, especially if you are exercising, it will put your body into starvation mode. I would try and stick to at least 1200 cal a day and eat a little more if you are exercising. Be sure you are drinking enough water too. I have been struggling, and although I am not seeing the results on the scale that i would like, I feel better and my body is less jiggly.....LOL. Keep up the good work, it's only been one week!!
  • branda
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the support and motivation. But now that i am going to eat more, can i just eat what i want, or still eat a well balanced diet like salads and half portions of food.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You NEED to eat your exercise calories. it seems counterintuitive, but it works. Look at it this way, you've tried NOT doing it, and it hasn't worked, so what have you got to lose by trying it for a week to see what happens?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    A week is nothing, you haven't even gotten started yet. Take measurements, weigh once a week at the same time of day/week/etc. in the same clothes, and wait for the fun to begin.

Here's my welcome aboard post:

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about a year now and we've done well. Lost over 100 pounds between us, and we're in much better shape.""

Piece of cake, you can do it.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You still need to eat healthy and exercise! Dont go for a big cheeseburger...go for something lighter that will give you more energy.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I agree with basically what everyone has said, a week is not long enough to determine success or failure, you need to eat more and it needs to be nutritionally balanced. That being said, I don't think you would be in starvation mode yet, not after just a week, unless you were already under-eating before you started trying to lose the weight. It is more likely that your body is still adjusting to this new way of life or that your progress is being masked by normal weight fluctuations.

That being said, you can do this. It will take time and it will take effort. Try not to focus too much on the scale. Focus more on how you look and even more important on how you feel. Your weight will naturally fluctuate so it can be hard to see progress when you first start out or if you weigh yourself too often. Just remember you are looking for a general downward trend and a few lbs one way or another really doesn't matter and may not be indicative of your effort.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming graduation!