HOME EXERCISES

Options
HAD RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY A FEW MONTHS AGO ON MY SHOULDER AND MY STRENGTH HASN'T CAME BACK FULLY LIKE I EXPECTED PLUS, WHEN I LIFT WEIGHTS IT BECOMES VERY SORE AND UNCOMFORTABLE SO....... I AM IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE WITH FINDING SOME GREAT "AT HOME EXERCISES" THAT ARE EFFECTIVE.

HELP A BROTHA OUT FITNESS PALS!

THANKS!

Replies

• Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yoga, My brother lost 65 lbs doing yoga! There's some great DVD stuff.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a surgery that should have been followed up with some physical therapy. You could always hire a therapist privately. It's not a good idea to just exercise away without some professional assistance. You could damage your shoulder again. A good therapist will give you exercises that are safe and effective at rebuilding the strength in your shoulder and can be done at home.
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cickpeach
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    P90X and Insanity are all programs you can do at home with minimal equipment.

Alternatively you can create your own workout:
    Work your upper body for a few mins (eg push ups, pull ups)
    Work your core for a few mins (ab work)
    Work your lower for a few mins (some plyometric or intense cardio)
    Break
    Repeat
    Break
    Repeat for a toal of 45-60 mins, 5-7 days a week.

Just don't sit on your couch all day.
  • Adrian_Bowen
    Options
    I WAS GIVEN A SERIES OF STRETCHES TO DO WITH A EXCERCISE BAND, THAT'S PRETTY MUCH ALL I'VE DONE IN PHYSICAL THERAPY SINCE THE DISLOCATING BEGAN, AND I WAS GIVEN DIRECTIONS AFTER THE SURGERY TO USE THE BAND AND THE STRETCHES.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    To start with, I agree with Chickpeach - google Physical Therapy exercises for shoulder... pick up some PT bands at a sports store and do those exercises first. Any exercises like P90X, Yoga, Tapout XT, might just further the injury. Work on the smaller muscles first, then get back into the harder at home workouts.

Good luck with the recovery
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I WAS GIVEN A SERIES OF STRETCHES TO DO WITH A EXCERCISE BAND, THAT'S PRETTY MUCH ALL I'VE DONE IN PHYSICAL THERAPY SINCE THE DISLOCATING BEGAN, AND I WAS GIVEN DIRECTIONS AFTER THE SURGERY TO USE THE BAND AND THE STRETCHES.

I responded during this response...

Try DDPyoga - which is what I'm doing. INSANE workouts with great results... I have a super bad (operated twice) ankle... and I now feel no pain... in any joints
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Walking actually is a fantastic exercise you can do which will have no impacts on your injury and give you time to heal while creating a good calorie burn that is high in fat.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Some great sites that I use for at home workouts (just search on Google and you'll find them):

Blogilates
    Bodyrock
    Zuzka Light
    Jenny Ford Fitness
    MyoMy fitness

As well, you don't need any equipment to get a good workout in....you can always start walking, running, do some jumping jacks, crunches, Squats, lunges, dance, etc.

P.S. There are some great sites for when you do get stronger such as Turbulence training and the Angry Trainer....