Paleo/Low Carb people, thoughts on Intermittent Fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If following a paleo or primal or w/e the f*** ever diet helps you follow a regime with healthier and more nutritious food choices and you like it and can stick with it, by all means knock yourself out. More ice cream for me.

If, however, someone is telling you that you SHOULDN'T count calories as if it would somehow be detrimental to your weight loss goals...well that person is an idiot.
  • ander217
    Options
    I did Atkiins for nearly two years and lost over 50 lbs. before going on a long weight-loss stall. They say do not count calories, count carbs unless you are not losing weight, and then do a reality check on the amount of calories you eat in a day. For example, butter has zero carbs but no reasonable person would think they could eat a pound of butter a day and still lose weight. If you are following a reasonable low-carb diet then you should lose weight as long as you keep the carb count down, however there comes a point when calories do matter. So if you're losing weight, don't worry about the calories. If you aren't losing, it's time for a reality check to see if that's the problem.
    When I did my own reality check I discovered I was consuming more than 2300 calories per day, much of the extra coming from cheese and artificially-sweetened foods. I had let the amounts slowly creep up over time to the point I had put myself on maintenance rather than ongoing weight loss. I did a Whole30, switched to paleo, and the scale is now moving down again.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat Paleo, that is low carb high fat, moderate protein and I been intermittent fasting for about 3 weeks now. I simply have a 24 hour period when I don't eat. Typically this is between 19:00 Friday night to 19:00 Saturday night. This day works for me as I'm not usually doing all that much activity during Saturday.

When I say Paleo it more Paleo with my own take on it. I eat mainly meat,fish, eggs and plenty of veg, I limit fruit but still eat it, I DO eat high fat dairy such as full fat yogurt butter cream, I eat nuts and berries.

I have not counted calories in a while now but did when first changing to this way of eating to get a feel for quantities. I find this way of eating the easiest most sustainable way of eating for me and it has produced the best resultsof my life. I'm leaner and stronger than I ever have been and my lifts are increasing each week using a HIT appraoch. I don't get energy peaks and troughs but feel energised all day. It feels the last few months as if I've actually found the holy grail (for me)

For me counting calories was far too tedius and not sustainable but I understand others can maintain this long term. I also feel fuller eating the food I do now and I honestly never feel hungry.

There is much research suggesting that the body produces increased HGH and other repairing hormones during the fast and of course you are decreasing insulin.

I simply cut out every piece of crap out of my diet in addition to grains. It gave me a headache for the first couple of days then I felt great from then on, never looked back really.

I did also come from the belief that you need to eat 6 meals evenly spaced throughout the day, I trained 4 days a week and ate moderate carbs and counted calories. The method I use now is far more fun, takes less time in the gym and no counting of calroies. I will of course have the odd blow out but never get a 'craving' for carbs.

Pretty sure I dip in and out of Ketosis, but as an estimate I eat between 20g and 120g of carbs a day.

Obviously lots of methods work and (again) each to their own but its just finding a mothod that works for you ultimately.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I did Atkiins for nearly two years and lost over 50 lbs. before going on a long weight-loss stall. They say do not count calories, count carbs unless you are not losing weight, and then do a reality check on the amount of calories you eat in a day. For example, butter has zero carbs but no reasonable person would think they could eat a pound of butter a day and still lose weight. If you are following a reasonable low-carb diet then you should lose weight as long as you keep the carb count down, however there comes a point when calories do matter. So if you're losing weight, don't worry about the calories. If you aren't losing, it's time for a reality check to see if that's the problem.
    When I did my own reality check I discovered I was consuming more than 2300 calories per day, much of the extra coming from cheese and artificially-sweetened foods. I had let the amounts slowly creep up over time to the point I had put myself on maintenance rather than ongoing weight loss. I did a Whole30, switched to paleo, and the scale is now moving down again.

There's a big difference between 'you shouldn't need to count calories unless you're having an issue' and 'DON'T count calories' was the point I was trying to make.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ^^How is your performance in the gym without going over 120 grams of carbs?

I low carb at times, but always carb back up.

I did have to LOL at "I cut out every piece of crap out of my diet including grains" but I see you drinking a pint.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If your'e not counting calories, why are you on this website? For the amazing forum posts?

Amazingly stupid posts maybe.

Some people are on here to keep track of what they eat generally, not just the overly simplistic idea of calorie balance.

IF has some grounding in science and allowing the body to 'recharge and repair' but for women it has some downsides which I have linked to before but am too far into the red wine to find now ;)

Stefani Ruper is worth a search on the subject.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I did have to LOL at "I cut out every piece of crap out of my diet including grains" but I see you drinking a pint.

LOL- Yeah it is funny. I didn't say I never enjoy myself ;) . That pic was taken a while back but having a binge session with my friends every few months is part of my lifestyle being maintainable, once its done though 'm back on it

As for carbs and workouts- Now my body has adjusted to feeling energised all the time I don't get a lul in energy without carbs. I'm seeing my lifts increase weekly and have honestly not seen a difference regression in strength or energy in the gym since cutting them. I'm now near my strongest I've been and I'm about 80kg and 12% BF. Dealifting 150kg for reps,benching 80kg for reps and squating 130kg for reps. Which I think isn't too bad for a skinny guy.

Its working for me and I don't plan on changing it any time soon, like I said I've done many methods over the years but the combo I have currently is working great.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have now been told by a fellow Paleo-ist, that I should NOT COUNT CALORIES....only CARBS even with weightloss goals.

Terrible advice.

Fat and protein still have calories and if you eat too many total calories you will not lose weight. Regardless of how many carbs you eat.

Truth!~

My mom tried the Atkins for a while. She went on and on about not eating bread, then I watched her scarf down an entire slab of ribs. True story.

Calories matter.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    If your'e not counting calories, why are you on this website? For the amazing forum posts?

NEED I say more? lol!
  • thecapaccino
    Options

2) IF is the new craze. Anyone suggesting it as mandatory or even desirable for fat loss without considering your preferences is basically clueless. Dietary adherence will trump any meal frequency protocol and it should always be your top priority to structure your intake timing on preference, gym performance, and obviously any medical need. If you get to the point that you're eating or not eating because "it's not 4pm yet", I firmly believe you're doing it wrong.

Now that being said, my eating style most closely resembles a 16/8 IF, because it is my preference.

I am on Paleo/low carb cause my mother is a diabetic on dialysis and I couldnt lose weight even while on low calorie diets. Cutting out carbs was the ONLY thing that worked. Now I dont feel so lethargic, or have stomach issues with eating etc.

You mentioned 16/8 IF. Could you expound? I used the example of 4pm is almost a whole day....which I would try to do every other day or so.

I admit I could be doing it all wrong...and am here for help and comments:-)
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    I'm paleo and I count calories. I tried only counting carbs and totally overdid it with butter, bacon, super-thick cream, dark chocolate, nuts , cheese, cold cuts etc. I gave up the dairy and started watching what i eat more carefully and strated to lose the pounds.

You're allowed dairy and dark chocolate on the paleo diet???

Dark Chocolate - yes...a lot of people say it is ok.
    Diary, strict Paleos no....but those who can handle it...they do
  • thecapaccino
    Options

Lol---- I go to gym (when I am home- am travelling now)....but dont do excessively heavy weights.
    Now started c25k.
    I feel I have just as much if not more energy. When I was eating lots of carbs...I couldnt even attempt to go to gym on an empty stomach. Now it is perfectly fine.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carber & I've been doing IF for a few weeks now, if anything, it's kept my hunger under control. Different strokes for different folks and all, but it's been working out for me. I'm a fairly active female too, started C25K this week after biking on average 20-30 miles everyday to every other day wasn't pushing my body enough on top of doing circuit training/weight lifting 3x's per week.

I know for some women IF isn't for them, the hormonal balance gets all out of whack, so really it's been trial & error. If it works for you, great. If not, don't do it anymore.

As for not counting calories on top of everything else? Bullpuckey. You still have to watch the calories and the macros.