Howdy

Options
I new around here... I joined a week ago and did not have a scale at that time... bought one off amazon and had to add ten pounds to my starting weight... not a great way to start off...

I have never tried to loose weight... I have always been a big guy and did not care much... I recently joined the Fire Department and found the drills and training to be challenging... It is something I have wanted to do for a long time and dropping 70-100 pounds would help... so here I am...

portion control and being able to throw food away are two areas I need to work on... Since I was a kid I always ate the left overs... so now if my wife or kids are full dad cleans up... that has to stop... probably wouldn't hurt if I ate a bit healthier as well... but one step at a time...

Replies

• saraifoss
    Options
    Good luck!
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    welcome and congrats on your life changing decision. Growing up we were always forced to finish everything on our plate. Even if we hated it. I have struggled with that through my adult life but I have learned to slow down while eating and stop when your full! This is a wonderful place to start and continue your journey. What kind of scale did you purchase?
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Feel free to add me as a friend. I love to motivate others :happy:
  • cneisen1961
    cneisen1961 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome...you made the right choice. This program has been the secret weapon for me. I am accountable but also have discovered my weak spots that I would have never been aware of. Be true to yourself, get plenty of rest and make good choices. Good Luck!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    hi! I have similar issues with food. I'm a compulsive overeater and know how hard it can be to get yourself to stop eating. Good luck!
  • espi180
    espi180 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My heaviest was 280 as well. I started taking MFP seriously three weeks ago. My weight was 258 and I'm down 9 pounds already. The community is very helpful. Best of luck on your goals... feel free to add me!
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What kind of scale did you purchase?

the Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale (ultra wide version)... first scale I have ever used that gave my the same number twice in a row... from reading the reviews if you have any problems the company will ship you a new one... seemed like a good one to get...

I also picked up a small digital scale so I could do a better job at guessing my portions... had to remove about a quarter of the mixed nuts from my lunch to get back to and ounce...
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Welcome...you made the right choice. This program has been the secret weapon for me. I am accountable but also have discovered my weak spots that I would have never been aware of. Be true to yourself, get plenty of rest and make good choices. Good Luck!

thanks...

getting plenty of rest is something I am working on as well... I get up at 5:30 am... and had been going to bed around midnight for years... I have moved up my bed time to 10 at the latest... I am waking up around 4ish and having to roll over and fall back asleep... trying to get to 8 hours...