Shins hurting after running.

Options
Okay I started running two weeks ago and my shins have started to really hurt. I run three times a week so I have plenty of rest days. I know about shin splints and I think thats what this is but I don't know how to prevent it?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Have you been properly fitted for running shoes? If not, go to a running specialty store and get a fitting. Buy the shoes they recommend. Everyone's feet are different, and there are different shoes out there to correct a variety of problems.

For example, I started running back in May. I was wearing my New Balance shoes I bought at Kohl's. My shins hurt every time I ran. I got fitted and found out that I under-pronate.....which means that I land more on the outside of my foot than the inside. They recommended Brooks Adrenaline shoes - they are a stability shoe which helps correct my stride. I ran all summer in those shoes and trained for a half marathon, and I was completely pain free!!

Invest in a great pair of fitted shoes - it will really help your shin problem.
  • stepgirl0705
    stepgirl0705 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shoes are important, but also remember you are working new muscles. If you have good shoes and still have issues, it will take building those muscles up. My shins hurt tremendously when I started to become active in general. I got the shoes, did the orthotics, and still had pain. As I began to build my muscles, the pain went away.
    Give it good stretches; active before running and static aftewards. Awesome that you started running, it is a great high!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Okay I started running two weeks ago and my shins have started to really hurt. I run three times a week so I have plenty of rest days. I know about shin splints and I think thats what this is but I don't know how to prevent it?

Is it a sharp, localized pain or a dull ache that runs the length of your shin?

Sharp and localized is shin splints and you are on your way to a stress fracture. That demands rest. Might need to check your shoes, add in more rest days between runs and to run on softer surfaces too.

A dull ache running the length of the shins is usually just regular muscle soreness from using new muscles. Stretching the muscles when warmed up helps, as does an OTC anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am currently running in Nike Air Max Converge Traix. I understand I need to get fitted but I really can't afford new running shoes. It looks like the average price of them is £80 and that is nearly a 1/3 of my monthly wage!
    I'll let it rest for a few days and see how I go on Sunday... then I might have to start saving up for new shoes :( Quite annoying because I started running to avoid paying a gym membership!
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    SUFFICIENTLY stretching BEFORE AND AFTER!!! i learned the hard way -- and yes, kick *kitten* sneaks help too :)
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am currently running in Nike Air Max Converge Traix. I understand I need to get fitted but I really can't afford new running shoes. It looks like the average price of them is £80 and that is nearly a 1/3 of my monthly wage!
    I'll let it rest for a few days and see how I go on Sunday... then I might have to start saving up for new shoes :( Quite annoying because I started running to avoid paying a gym membership!

If you can't afford new shoes, then get some type of Gel support inserts.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Did you start slow? If you just jump right into running you could do more harm than good. Try alternating running and walking until those muscles get stronger.
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You say you started running two weeks ago? What kind of distance are you putting in on each run and what type of surface are you running on. You need to build up your distance gradually so that the muscles are gently worked into shape. Try to add no more than 10% of your current distance each week (i.e. someone running 10 miles/wk can add 1 more mile the next week).

If you have shin splints you might try compression socks to help prevent shin splints from recurring once these have healed.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    get better running shoes, stretch more, and ice and you may want to consider finding a better running surface. Right now you need to rest them so that they can heal.

I find that treadmills give me shin splints while outdoor running doesn't, but that's not normal. I suspect that running on the tread mill is throwing off my cadence.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There are exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles on the front of your legs. Google or YouTube for specifici examples and ice your legs. Do NOT "run through the pain" or you'll end up with stress fractures or broken bones.

Ice and compression to treat, plenty of rest and start exercises other than running to strengthen your legs.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All sorts of reasons why you might have sore shins but right now it's MOST LIKELY due to fact you are new to running. So without any other evidence the only advice is to rest and build up your running gradually.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am running the 5k101 running programme, so definitely starting slow! I only run for 2.5 minute intervals at the moment. Also, I only run outside on concrete pavement so I may have to try finding some sort of park to run in if a softer surface will help.
    I will start doing muscle strengthening exercises and see if it helps! :)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    SHOES!!! like everyone has said, make sure you aren't increasing speed or mileage too quickly and yes, stretch stretch stretch. It's important to stretch the shin muscle. :drinker: Keep at it and good luck.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    it is a common problem when you are starting. take it easy and take rest days like you have been doing. Once you manage through it, then it probably won't be a problem later if you run regularly. It is generally an injury that happens when you increase your weekly miles too quickly, or if you just starting.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am running the 5k101 running programme, so definitely starting slow! I only run for 2.5 minute intervals at the moment. Also, I only run outside on concrete pavement so I may have to try finding some sort of park to run in if a softer surface will help.
    I will start doing muscle strengthening exercises and see if it helps! :)

Just to give you an idea of the relative softness of surfaces, from softest to hardest:

-Grass
    -Rubber track
    -Dirt
    -Asphalt
    -Concrete

Treadmills vary a lot, but the treadmills at my gym seem to be somewhere in between dirt and asphalt in terms of how my knees feel.