UK runners: Weatherproof clothing for winter?

Options
I am new to running. I want to do it outside as much as I can this winter. I need a weather proof warmish jacket to wear running through the winter. I know there are makes like North Face and Superdry - just wondering whether they are suitable for running?

Replies

• MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have Nike running jacket I bought last year that I used through the winter and just started using again now it's getting colder. This link is exactly the one I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nike-Element-Shield-Max-Womens-Full-Zip-Running-Jacket-with-gator-425086-011-/120831940782?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item1c222518ae
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am also very new to running, so don't take my response as definitive! But this is just what I have picked up...

Superdry I would say is definitely a fashion brand - not practical sportswear. North Face does good warm weather proof jackets, for things like hiking and mountaineering.
    However, i've read that you should focus more on wearing layers, so the weatherproof outer shouldn't necessarily be warm too - just weatherproof to keep your warmer layers dry. Otherwise you could end up getting too hot, and you won't be able to remove your warm outer layer without getting wet.

Again, I may be wrong, but this is what i've read and it sounds sensible to me!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    don't forget gloves and a hat!

Bio_fit is right about the layering. Just remember that you'll be running so you don't want to overdo it.

It'll probably take you a few outings to figure out the right strategy, but a wicking base layer should be your start point.

Edit: just remember that if you wear a cheap waterproof outer layer then your sweat won't be able to evaporate and you'll still end up soaked, just from the inside!
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do what you did with the shoes. Go to a good outdoor wear shop and explain what it is you are doing and what you require. There are plenty of sports like fell running that MUST have exactly the same requriements. What you will need as a basic requirement is the ability for it to let sweat out whilst not letting rain in.

I also go with the layers idea. Just from walking we know that what you want when you start out is completely different to what you want when you have climbed a hill and if you cannot remove the thick layer because its raining you will suffer. I also suspect you don't actually want something that warm. You will warm up whilst running.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is quite an individual decision. Some people run hotter than others.

I run hot and sweat a lot even in winter. I am more concerned about windproofing rather than keeping dry. So I will wear a thin long sleeve base layer with a very light windproof jacket over that. I would wear tracksters on legs when it's really cold but generally just shorts. On my head I would wear a hat made from a buff or a peak cap if raining. Dont usually wear gloves. As I sweat a lot I dont worry too much about breathability of clothing as nothing breaths enough to keep me dry.

If you run cold it's a different matter. You could still do the base layer but maybe add another thin layer and have a windproof/ waterproof coat which might be slightly heavier unless you want to spend a lot. Leggings, running gloves and cosy hat to top it off.

Look for makes like Ron Hill, Hilly, Salomon, Helly Henson, Saucony, Asics, who tend to make more running specific clothing. Nike Addidas do stuff too but have a bewildering large range.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. I shall get Googling later! I don't want the weather to be an excuse for stopping.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My experience is that when jogging at single digit temperatures or slightly below 0'C, I'm no longer cold after 1-1.5kms. From then onwards I get increasingly uncomfortable and irritated if I'm wearing a lot of heat retaining clothing.

I tend to wear a thin pair of long-johns (with shorts over the top so I look like a bit less of a tool), a thin, tight long sleeve top (again with a t-shirt over it) and then a thin pair of gloves and a thin hat that can cover my ears - both of which I can take off and stuff into my pockets once I'm warmed up.

I wouldn't typically start a run in the rain. As you know here in the UK it tends to shower more than rain for prolonged periods so I wait it out. But I've certainly gone out when I think rain is a threat and for that I take a peaked running cap (Nike Dri-Fit) which prevents me getting too hot whilst keeping the rain from pouring into my eyes. It's thin and folds up for pocket storage when not wearing. Others may know something I don't, but I don't believe you can wear anything thats truly going to keep the rain out when running.