At what weight should I run ?

Options
My name is Steve Farris and I have lost 78 lb. I am around 300 lbs. My question is what would be a good weight to start running ?
I was told a few years ago when I was around the same weight by a doctor that 300 lbs was too heavy for my feet . What are your thoughts n this ?

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I started at 310 and I'm 280 now. I started the c25k five weeks ago and I love it.
  • riotshows
    Options
    I would amp up the walking. Running has not been proven to be a better exercise for weight loss. Do enough walking to feel like you
    have accomplished a push. As it gets easier add more blocks and more time. Add slopes and stairs as the weight comes off and you
    feel better.
  • espi180
    espi180 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was 265 when I started, although my 'run' would probably be considered a 'jog.' I have completed 4 half-marathons though in the last two years, all at 250 pounds and above and finished them just at 3 hours. I'm working on getting this weight off so I can improve my time.

One thing that has helped me is wearing a heart rate monitor while running. I got one for $30 at a sporting goods store. Staying in my target heart range helps me keep pace and go the distance.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    If you're worried, start with the x-trainer. Much less impact, which i'd imagine would have been the doctors concern. After you get good on that switch to a treadmill or cross county running.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I run now at 280... I am doing it more to help my stamina and lung capacity then anything else... I started running one block and then walking one block... I'm now up to .8 of a mile in the three weeks I have been doing it... working towards a mile...

a lot probably depends on you height as well... I am 6 feet tall... I would think 280 at 5'6" would be a different story...

good luck
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would start walking first and see a doctor who could refer me to an orthopedist to look at the state of my joints. They could make the most reliable recommendation, as well as advising you whether you should use supports or wear compression gear for comfort and safety.

Can you walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's going to be a particular weight that really matters as to when you should start running. Your body composition, stamina, the state of your joints, and how long you've been obese/sedentary for all matter.

I started jogging again when I started attempting to lose weight. I was 285. However at the time I worked 10 hour days on my feet all day walking around. I knew I had the stamina and I'd been a cross-country runner in high school at close to the same weight.

On Sunday- a little over 6 months in and weighing in at 235 I did a 7.5 mile trail jog followed by a 3.5 mile hike.

I guess that my point is that when you decided to start jogging should be up to you and your doctors and not dictated by a certain weight.
  • stevefarris
    Options
    Yes at times I can walk 5 miles in one walk. I usually ride a bike for excercise and switch off with a walk and some times I do a 5 mile walk and a 8 mile bike ride the same day.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I started out doing more elliptical and walking at first. Around 250lbs I started running. I did a c25k type program to get my running endurance up. I'm ~230lbs now and I'm running 3-3.5mi 3x a week now. It takes time and persistence.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    "Running has not been proven to be a better exercise for weight loss. Do enough walking to feel like you
    have accomplished a push."

I believe this as well but it seems every website out there says that running is better for weight loss because you are doing something that demands a high rate of calories over an extended time. Other websites say it is better to walk as fast as makes you slightly breathless and walk for longer than you would run.

I think that brisk walking for longer than you would run is likely to burn more calories compared to running and possibly keep your metabolic rate elevated afterwards for longer.

Any views on this?
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Yes at times I can walk 5 miles in one walk. I usually ride a bike for excercise and switch off with a walk and some times I do a 5 mile walk and a 8 mile bike ride the same day.

That's promising. But seriously, I would check with a doctor re joint vulnerabilities. They can occur with people of all ages and all sizes, but obviously the more weight put on the joints the more vulnerable they are. You do not want to blow out a knee.

A doctor or approved trainer might be able to suggest a transitional method: maybe you could start out by jogging (not running) for 30 seconds,and then walking for two minutes until you work up to being able to jog, then run for the entire period.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    "Running has not been proven to be a better exercise for weight loss. Do enough walking to feel like you
    have accomplished a push."

I believe this as well but it seems every website out there says that running is better for weight loss because you are doing something that demands a high rate of calories over an extended time. Other websites say it is better to walk as fast as makes you slightly breathless and walk for longer than you would run.

I think that brisk walking for longer than you would run is likely to burn more calories compared to running and possibly keep your metabolic rate elevated afterwards for longer.

Any views on this?

I can't answer your question about the relative benefits of extended brisk walking versus a briefer period of running. I will point out, however:

--Some people find the movement of jogging or running easier than brisk walking. At a certain point, it makes more sense to run.

--Others prefer the intensity of jogging or running to walking. It's more fun; they feel more alive.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My name is Steve Farris and I have lost 78 lb. I am around 300 lbs. My question is what would be a good weight to start running ?
    I was told a few years ago when I was around the same weight by a doctor that 300 lbs was too heavy for my feet . What are your thoughts n this ?

Have you been walking at all? You might start with walking first, or a program like Couch to 5K to ease you into it. Stop if you feel pain in your knees or ankles.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    In the meantime, you might want to consider an electronic pedometer like the Fitbi. The default goal is 10,000 steps a day. Maybe you could aim for 15,000 or 20,000 steps most days. Perhaps your 5-mile walks would put you in that range already, I don't know.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well I'm certainly no doctor... but they have 500lb people run on the biggest loser and Extreme makeover weightloss edition... do you WANT to run or do you just feel like you will get a better work out by running? If you want to run... then start out slow... maybe walk for 5 minutes, run for a minute, and so on until you can work your way up more... If you don't really want to but just think it will give you a better exercise, then try an elliptical... same motion and increased heart rate as running but not so bad on your joints... Or skating... plus that one is more fun too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Well there you go. You are ready for Couch to 5K at least. But honestly, if you have a bike that you enjoy riding, then that will have the same cardiovascular effect as a slow jog. (and much easier on your joints!)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    You can run at any weight! :)

I love running, it's so stress relieving.

You do have to be in semi shape to run, so start out slow so you can work yourself into getting used to it .

Do the Couch 2 5 K, that one helps.

Intervals, walk 2 minutes - run 30 seconds.... create intervals like this to help you get used to it. Even a slow jog is fine.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Start walking and try to add a couple of jogs during the walk. Start slow and work up to it.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm right around 300 lbs and I can't run at all because of the strain on my knees and my ankle that I injured years ago. I focus on low impact (there's a great machine I use called a precor that depending on how fast you go ranges from a stair climber to an elliptical) or if I am doing treadmill, I walk usually at a 3.5 but I crank up the incline. That way the pressure on my joints isn't so bad, but my heart rate is still getting up as high as if I was running because of the incline.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is a function of oxygen consumption. The more oxygen you need to fuel an activity, the more caloires is burns. This ALSO means its a funtion of time and/or distance. So if you can run a mile in 10 minutes, or walk a mile in half and hour "technically" you will burn the same amount of calories. That's before you start up the debate about oxygen debt/EPOC/afterburn.

So basically of you are breathing harder you are burning more calories and if you have enough endurance to keep it up for longer you will burn more calories.

OP: If you currentlu have no foot/knee concerns I'd give it a go. One of the other posters talked about walking 1 block/jogging one block - that's a great place to start.

I will add that heavier people need a sturdier shoe to support heir weight, so make sure your shoes are in good nick. And if any unusual aches/pains emerge check in with a sports doctor/physio/run coach (i.e. someone who will support your goal to run).

And if you like it, keep it up. I love running but can still vividly remember my first time trying it out on the treadmill, wondering why time had stopped.

Good luck.