healthy roasted nuts?

Options
I've been looking at a few recipes for roasted nuts or almonds online and most of them are absolutely packed with sugar. i don't mind a bit of sugar/honey but most of the recipes require about a cup! does anybody have a recipe to die for that's also on the healthy side? i was thinking id roast up a big-ish batch and then weigh out 100 calorie portions to have as snack during the day.

Replies

• bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Do you need a recipe to roast nuts? Is it not just nuts + oven = roasted nuts? I feel like i'm missing something :laugh:

Edit: ok, just realised perhaps you are looking for recipes for flavoured roast nuts. Maybe try some savoury options? I'm guessing all the sweet ones will have sugar. Maybe something like roast with spices like cumin and paprika?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Brown rice syrup might be good.
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Haha i meant something with spices :-P just to get some variety :-) I've had ome delicious spicy nuts but they tend to be.packed with sugar as well :-\
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this, but just thinking out loud - how about roasting with some soy sauce and ground ginger? Maybe some powdered garlic/lemongrass for a thai twist? Especially if you throw some coconut chunks into the mix :smile:
  • mathematical2011
    mathematical2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How about roasting chickpeas, instead of tree nuts?

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/honey-cinnamon-roasted-chickpeas/

:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just toss nuts with a little oil and spices that you like and roast. For example:

Toss pecans with olive oil, worchestershire sauce, chili powder, red pepper and a little sea Toss walnuts or almonds with a light oil (canola, sunflower, etc) cinnamon and ceyenne
    Curry or chai spices are good too.

Just experiment.