Compare calories burned from different brand pedometers

Options
Hello all. :smile:

I purchased a pedometer that displays steps, distance, time and calories burned. It is not a Fitbit so I don't know if the calories burned are reasonable for the number of steps taken. However, I am curious as to how it compares to other pedometers with calories burned for 10,000 steps. To make a proper comparison the persons wearing pedometers that could be compared in calories burned would have to be similar sized females in both weight and height. Any females interested in comparing their calories burned for 10,000 steps please let me know. Approximate weight would be about 133-137 lbs. Approximate height would be 4'11" to 5' tall. Thanks to all. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested?
  • shazzafly
    shazzafly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry cant help as wrong height and weight but also looking at pedometers and am confused as there are so many different ones at ranging prices. What have you got.
  • mamaomefo
    Options
    I purchased a New Balance mini. It cost about $18.00, not super expensive compared to some but I wasn't ready to invest in the Fitbit. It tracks steps, distance, kcals, has a timer, and the time of day. I love it. Just started using it yesterday for MFP purposes. Both days I have noted all topics in my calendar to track the accuracy from one day to the next. At about 10,700 steps the calories burned were within just a few points of each other. I am happy with this. I just need to find someone who can help me verify the calorie count is realistic for the number of steps. Any ideas on how this could be done differently would be helpful also.
  • mamaomefo
    Options
    I received no information yesterday so I 'm going to try this post one more day. I would really like to know if I can use the calories burned safely as "Fitbit" users do to make an "djustment" to their calories burned. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you haven't been getting much response on this. I also can't help you much as I am 6' and 200+ pounds. But, what I have found is the more you weigh the more you burn. I don't think that Fitbit actually gives you calories burned per step as you can burn calories just watching TV - or sleeping . I have some short friends that I ride bikes with and they always get annoyed that when we ride, I burn more calories than they do. Does your New Balance know how much you weigh? Just curious.

I think that there are a lot of factors involved. Yesterday I went mall shopping and logged about 5,000 steps. When I got home, Fitbit gave me a 379 calorie adjustment. Hope this helps a little.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit adjustment is the calories burned over what MFP says you'll burn. If I change my MFP activity level to match what Fitbit says, there will be no adjustment.

It seems to me that you're complicating things when you don't have to. I would just log the walking (duration and miles/km).
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I can't really compare either, as I am about a foot taller than you. One thing you do need to check to make sure it is as accurate as possible - is your stride length. There should be a way to set this up, as you said one thing your pedometer tracks is distance. On my pedometer, there is a way to enter in how many inches your stride is - so that your pedometer makes a correct reading on the distance you travel...

And just so you have SOME kind of reference, on a day I logged 10,665 steps, I burned 454 kCals.

Hope this helps!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it's an interesing idea but unfortunately it would be better for you to use different pedometers rather than have different people use teh same pedometer.

Check out dcrainmaker site - some terrific reviews in there - I am he has something to say on pedometers
  • mamaomefo
    Options
    @ajh1014...yes this helps just to have some numbers for comparison. Mine seemed a bit high but after looking at your numbers it is not extremely high like I thought. Yes...my weight was input during the set-up. Thanks so much for the information :flowerforyou:

@rchupka87...my stride length is pretty accurate. My husband and I measured this two times just to make sure it is accurate. That is an important number. Thank you for responding with some numbers I could use for comparing even though we aren't the same size. At least that makes my calories burned number look more realistic instead of "high" like I thought it was. I appreciate the information! :flowerforyou:

Thank you all for the input. :smile: