Gaining weight and following the rules :(

Options
Ok, ok, so I have had a few days where I've gone over my diet calorie goals... not by much and after working so hard during the week, I don't even feel bad about it! I didn't weigh in for three weeks, not because I didn't want to, scared of results, but because I have yet to invest on scale. I have been completely faithful with the Insanity workout, and during the week I for sure stick to the calories I am allotted. I don't feel hungry and I don't get crabby very often. I went to visit a cousin in Chicago who is down to 120, a little too skinny for me since my goal weight is 145, but he talked me into getting on is scale. I started this program at 170, and here we are a month later and I am 171!!!!! Why??? AGgghhhh this was frustrating news for me!!! That was on Sunday, I still have been logging my calories like a good girl, but I caught myself stress eating at McDonald's.... needless to say I had to have a very small dinner last night because of it :( I am a max stress eater and I would love to hear some ideas...or anything motivational... or simply why this weight is not coming off of me :(. I've seen the strong tough love from you people I've read the blogs, and I've given my advise.... please help me return!!!!!

Replies

• newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    do a search on this very topic. seems about once or twice a week the topic is raised. I didnt say answered because in about 10 minutes you're going to have 10 different opinions and I'll leave it to them to list them.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    First of all, weigh yourself on the same scale every time. You could just be experiencing different calibration. Second, make sure you really are logging everything and that you are correctly estimating your portions. Portions are small! Third, it is notoriously easy to overestimate calories burned.

Oh, and every comment after this is going to tell you to open your diary.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What you should be also doing is measuring because you may see the size of your arms, legs, tummy, chest going down while you're working out and retaining water to rebuild your muscles.

Plus, different scales show different numbers, so who says his scale was correct?
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I agree. You can put absolutely no stock in this weigh-in. You need to be on the same scale, the same time of day, and wearing exactly the ame thing (nekkid is easiest IF you're weighing at home, and not in the doctor's office or a cousin's home. :P )

How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Far more accurate guidelines than a scale...and especially given you are using different scales, probably wearing different clothing, and at a different time of day.

Continue to follow the "rules", whatever you have decided they are for you.
  • gelaasiu
    Options
    This could be for a number of reasons. If you are working out more it could mean you are just turning your fat into muscle! Muscle weighs more than fat so it could be a good thing?! If you really want to measure your progress a measuring tape is a good idea sometimes instead of the scale.

Another thing I noticed with alot of people is portions. Alot of times the portion of food you log is different than what you believe. I never knew an ounce was so small. Not sure if this is the cause for you but I found this info and it helped me alot!

The Grain Group
    1/2 cooked cup rice ---- tennis ball
    1 pancake (1 ounce or 5") ---- compact disc (CD)
    1 piece of cornbread (2 ounces) ---- bar of soap
    1 slice of bread (1 ounce) ---- audiocassette tape
    1 cup of pasta/spaghetti (2 ounces) ---- a fist
    1 cup of cereal flakes (1 ounce) ---- a fist

The Vegetable Group
    1 cup green salad ---- baseball or a fist
    1 medium baked potato (1 cup) ---- computer mouse or a fist
    1/2 cup cooked broccoli ---- light bulb
    1/2 cup serving ---- 6 asparagus spears; 7 or 8 baby carrots; 1 ear of corn on the cob

The Fruit Group
    1/2 cup of grapes (15 grapes) ---- light bulb
    1/2 cup of fresh fruit ---- 7 cotton balls
    1 medium size fruit ---- tennis ball or a fist
    1 cup of cut-up fruit ---- baseball or a fist
    1/4 cup raisins ---- large egg

The Milk Group
    1 1/2 ounces hard cheese ---- 9-volt battery or your index and middle fingers
    1 ounce of processed cheese ---- your thumb
    1 cup of ice cream ---- baseball

The Meat and Beans Group
    2 tablespoons peanut butter (= 2 oz. meat) ---- ping-pong ball
    1 teaspoon peanut butter (= 1/3 oz. meat) ---- fingertip
    1 tablespoon peanut butter (= 1 oz. meat) ---- thumb tip
    3 ounces grilled/baked fish or chicken ---- checkbook
    3 ounces cooked meat, fish, poultry ---- your palm, a deck or cards or a cassette tape

Discretionary Calories

Fats, Sugars and Sodium
    teaspoon butter, margarine ---- stamp, the thickness of your finger or knuckle to thumb tip
    tablespoons regular salad dressing ping-pong ball

Snack Foods
    1 ounce of nuts or small candies ---- one handful
    1 ounce of pretzels ---- two handfuls
    1/2 cup of popcorn ---- one man's handful
    1/3 cup of popcorn ---- one woman's handful

Serving Dishes/Utensils
    1/2 cup ---- custard cup or mashed potato scoop
    1 1/2 cups ---- large cereal/soup bowl
    1 1/2 cups of pasta, noodles ---- dinner plate, not heaped
    1/2 cup of pasta, noodles ---- custard cup or mashed potato scoop
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenLeffelman
    Options
    I'll have to admit Ive always been a beast and I do know things are getting pretty solid... hehehe I do have stomach muscles under all that flub!!! I know that now, so I guess I should probably get some tape and drop the discouragement
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    open your diary.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all solid food and measuring liquids? If not you are probably eating more than you think you are.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The only number that matters is the one inside your pants. If THAT number goes up, then you have something to stress about.
  • LeslieNDH
    LeslieNDH Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, I hit a stalling point earlier this year, it drove me crazy to work so hard and see no results. But they came eventually. And for all the weight I was not loosing for a while, once it started going again, it really fell off. I was stressed out about other stuff when I was not loosing, and not loosing made me stress too. After my stress went way down, was when I started to loose. So not sure if they are related. But keep your head up, if you stick with it, it will come eventually!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've seen this kind of posting several times after people start these workout dvd's. Give it time :).
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
  • jehuster
    Options
    Bump for measuring guidelines
  • mtworden
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way. I do everything "right" my husband (a very toned military man) helps me with portion control AND my work outs. I have a 4month old and I didn't leave the hopsital in regular jeans like I did with my forst child, and I just cannot seem to drop this weight! It is very depressing...I see everyone around me looking great and eating whatever they want and not exercising. I feel like giving up.