HIIT???? Educate me...

Options
Hi all!

I keep seeing people refer to HIIT as a means to break plateaus and just for general increased fitness. What is it? Always up for learning something new.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    HIIT = high intensity interval training. It's a form of cardio.....Go all out for say 30 seconds, then lower intensity for a minute.......repeat.......You can do it with pretty much any form of cardio.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    HIIT = high intensity interval training. It's a form of cardio.....Go all out for say 30 seconds, then lower intensity for a minute.......repeat.......You can do it with pretty much any form of cardio.

what he said :) there are plenty of examples on the internet.. google is your friend :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I run like crazy for 30 secs then walk fast to recover for a minute..I do that for a minimum of 20 mins, I love it!
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I do that when I work the Nustep at the YMCA! Never knew what it was called but it was easier and made me sweat more, so I figured it was a good thing! lol
  • Wilson929
    Options
    I take HIIT classes and the way they are structured is 3 mins. of 3 different high intense moves for 1 min. each. Then rest for 30 sec. If you have seen the infomercial for the Insanity DVDs.... that's HIIT.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. It basically is what it sounds like. It's a burst of intense cardio then a period of active recovery, then another burst of intensity then some more active recovery. It's just back and forth the entire workout. If you have ever done any of the Insanity workouts or even anything by Jillian Michaels they focus a lot on HIIT training. Hope this helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

If you're a smart phone user, there are a few HiiT timers that help you get going.
  • dmb0114
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!! Sounds like I need to try this...