small NSV for me......

Options
Hi ya'll. I have been a member of mfp for awhile. I have never stuck to anything and still remain overweight. I am so sick of being overweight but I just can't seem to get it off. I have lost 28 pounds but that has been over several years... My mini goal is 20 pounds to get into onderland. I am hopeful that I will make it. Since I have not met that goal I do want to celebrate a mini nsv.

Today is my 37th birthday. I completed my very first 5K on September 8th. My goal was to complete a 5K by my birthday! Let me say I LOVE running!!!!! I am 5'3 and weigh 219 pounds. It is hard, it is hard on my knees and my ankles and I cant run the entire thing yet! But I am jogging most of it. I have stuck with this running thing now for 3 weeks. I have 5 weeks on the program and after 8 weeks on C2K your supposed to be able to run a 5K. I had so much fun at that race that I entered another one for the end of the month. The Race for a Cure. I am hopeful I can beat mpatheticic time of the last race of 51 minutes.

So if nothing else I am going to celebrate one goal met and the fact that even though I am a SLOW FAT RUNNER I am out there moving and eventually the weight has to come off .........right? PS I came in 5th in my age group LOL

Happy Running.

Replies

• joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and Congrats to you......
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I applaud you. I ran at 255 lbs and it was incredibly hard and hard on my body. Its much easier now at my current weight. Just stick with it, the weight will come off!
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
  • fatgottago
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone else had success running overweight.
  • feepug
    Options
    congratulations, that is a fab achievement, i would say its a big victory not a small one, kudos to you!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! and way to go!!!!!!!!! keep it up!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Just think how awesome you will be doing by your next birthday!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • fatgottago
    Options
    Yes my goal is to be able to RUN a 5K and win by my next birthday LOL
  • SherriLeigh68
    Options
    Congrats on the 5K and Happy Birthday. Do not give up. I have struggled with my weight for my entire adult life. I have just entered onederland for the first time in over 20 years. Be persistent and don't give up. You can do this. I am 43 years old and became a grandmother last August. I am determoined my granddaughter will never remember me as "big". Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    way to go! at this point, be thrilled with your accomplishment and I think beating your time will give you that bit of extra motivation! I'm 5'4" and at my heaviest, I was 218, so I totally understand! feel free to add me as a friend if you feel we can encourage each other! :)
  • nursedonnaj
    nursedonnaj Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    “Your beliefs become your thoughts,
    Your thoughts become your words,
    Your words become your actions,
    Your actions become your habits,
    Your habits become your values,
    Your values become your destiny.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Congratulate yourself on this GREAT accomplishment! It isn't a pathetic time. You did it. You got off the couch and trained and you did it! Be proud of yourself. You can do this!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!! You'll get there and the fact that you LOVE to run will make ti that much easier to get out there and do it and lose the weight.

YOU GOT THIS!!!!
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 5k. I'm proud of what you have accomplished and that you've signed up for a 2nd one! 51 minutes isn't a stellar time but you finished and have a goal now of a time to beat. Sounds like you won to me!!! ETA: You've given me inspiration!

I'm slowing making my way thru the c25k and am thrilled with every single little milestone I hit. I'm working toward a 5k the first Saturday of November. Still not sure I can even finish it walking at this point. Once a jog/run my first interval of 4 - 5 minutes I can't do much after that but walk. I'm making sure to get my 30 minutes total in and am progressing but I'm taking it very slow. My goal is to continue to get out there and so something/anything. Right now, that 's my win!
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think that's awesome! Congrats on finishing your race. And no matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch (and everyone who's too scared to attempt a 5K, like me!)
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    congrats to you! ive walked a couple of 5ks but i want to start training to atleast be able to jog one soon :)
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! I ran my first 5k last year at about 275lbs and I felt amazing when i finished. This year after losing a bit more weight I ran again and bettered my time a bit. I was so inspired by how much I beat my last years time that i immediately signed up for another in 2 weeks. Its a great feeling to really push yourself and complete something like a 5k. Keep it up and let us know how you do! Happy Birthday!
  • mrspenton2009
    mrspenton2009 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Where I am from, We celebrate the litle things sweetie. I applalud you for sticking with it. You may not work out every day, but you have not stopped working out completely, so ta dah....."that in itself is something to celebrate!!"

Hang in there hun, you will not lose your weight over night because you didn't gain it over night. Keep pressing toward your goal. Pretty soon, you will be telling us how you've arrive in WONDERLAND!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! KEEP PUSHING GIR!!!!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Right on and congratulations! That's a huge achievement, and I'm happy for you that you've discovered you like running. It gets more fun the more you do it!

Happy birthday!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your proper motivation is in your first post. You love running. So don't try to lose weight for the numbers anymore, do it to be a better, faster, more durable runner with happier knees. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!