People with no thyroid

Options
I see all kinds of posts about low thyroid and such, but not many from those like me with no thyroid; due to surgery. The replacement medication is supposed to put you in a normal range, but I feel it's still hard to lose weight.

Replies

• LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I also had my entire thyroid removed, had cancer...that was 15 years ago...but didn't struggle with a bit too much weight until i hit menopause about 4 years ago...sucks! But my wieght is coming off slow but sure. Thyroid issues can be different, heck people are different, do you have routine blood tests regularly to check your levels? Hang in there Kimie! :flowerforyou:
  • vickyd205
    vickyd205 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in 1999. For me, as long as I keep my TSH levels in a good range then I haven't had any issues losing weight at all - I've lost 163 lbs over the past 2+ years and I'm in my late 40s which normally makes losing weight a bit more difficult.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite in your boat, I still have a third of mine because of surgery to remove nodules. I'm on meds and get my levels tested around every 6 months. It DOES make it more difficult to lose weight but it IS possible. I'm proof of it. I have found though that I have to be much more diligent with my calories and even though I have a body media fit and it tells me how many calories I burn per day, I can't eat all those. I end up gaining rather than maintaining. Good luck!
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mine was was melted away with radioactive iodine so i do not have one either. I take 175 milligrams of levothyroxin a day. I too have been struggling despite the major changes I have made in the last year. As it turns out, I have PCOS. Another condition that seriously affects weight loss efforts. If you are really following a plan and working out and still not getting results, talk to your doctor. Mine did not want to believe me until she saw my blood work and saw how good my numbers were. Only then did she believe me. Maybe something else is going on. The last time I lost any significant amount of weight I was doing a lower carb diet. Which I am now back to. Good luck!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I also had my entire thyroid removed, had cancer...that was 15 years ago...but didn't struggle with a bit too much weight until i hit menopause about 4 years ago...sucks! But my wieght is coming off slow but sure. Thyroid issues can be different, heck people are different, do you have routine blood tests regularly to check your levels? Hang in there Kimie! :flowerforyou:
    Yeah, I had cancer too and had the surgery in 2006. I have my levels checked once a year. I have an appt. coming up in November. I think the menopause is kicking my but too. It's like my body is wanting to be a certain weight and is fighting me to go any lower. Grrrrr.....
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bumping