A funny observation on my weight loss

Options
I keep a weekly log of my weight (for the past 16 months) and use this to calculate monthly loss averages, and a chart with trend lines (yes, I'm a data geek). Today, I calculated monthly averages based on my exercise. And this is what I came up with:

These go in time order too. The first one was from May '11 to September '11, the second from October '11 to February '12, and the last one is March '12 forward.

Average Before Exercise: -3.9
Average Walking Exercise: -3.4
Average Running Exercise: -3.7

Though what these numbers don't show is how much I'm eating. Before I started exercising, I was obviously at the beginning of my journey and weighed a lot more. My target calories were around 1460 a day. When I started walking, I was probably averaging eating 1500 calories a day because I eat back my exercise calories. With running, I shoot to net 1200, so eat anywhere from 1600 to 1800 on workout days. Halfway through my "running" months, I also switched from walking on non-running days to biking on those days.

I was just a bit surprised that the difference wasn't bigger between the different methods, but encouraged that after 16 months, it's still so consistent. And, over time, I've been able to eat more and more LOL.

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    its all about moving a bit..and how we decide to fuel our bodies...
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First of all, data geeks are cool ... I like my charts too :)

Secondly, congrats on your consistent journey! :)

Finally, I always like to remind myself that I don't exercise to lose weight (I do that in the kitchen with a calculator). The separation between nutrition and exercise helps me not focus so much on the scale (even if it does help!) ... I remind myself that I exercise because it's healthy and it keeps my heart, bones, and body strong ... period. The added bonus is the more I exercise the more I can eat lol ;) ... I remember a shirt at a race that read "I run so I can eat" :)

Happy running ....
    ~Matt

"If you see me collapse, pause my Garmin"
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I almost snorted when I read your tag line...LOL

And yes, I totally run so I can eat!!!! It makes things so much more sustainable to be able to eat more.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love how you averaged it out. It really is about being consistent and moving more. I totally exercise so that I can eat more calories. Otherwise I am consistently over my caloric budget. I know from these four years there lies the way to weigh way too much!
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Hey, based on your runs it looks like we're neighbors ... unless you really like our races so much that you travel across country to find them! Michigan is pretty awesome if I do say so myself :) ...

I ran the Warrior Dash this year (twice actually!) ... once on my own, and then my 16 year old daugther wanted to join me on the 2nd one in Grand Rapids so my wife and I dropped our other 3 children off with my parents, and went out there and made a weekend of it with her ... pretty cool sweet 16 if I do say so myself! :)
    I almost snorted when I read your tag line...LOL

And yes, I totally run so I can eat!!!! It makes things so much more sustainable to be able to eat more.
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    ... and I should mention I'm recovering from a rib injury I got during the Dash ... lol ... but that's another story! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Hi neighbor! I'm just south of Ann Arbor.

Check out this running group in Livonia. I might check it out sometime!

http://www.parkrun.us/livonia/home
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Awesome, thanks! I've seen this done, but didn't realize Livonia had one! How cool and close!
    Hi neighbor! I'm just south of Ann Arbor.

Check out this running group in Livonia. I might check it out sometime!

http://www.parkrun.us/livonia/home