Attempting a "5K"

Options
So tonight I'm going to attempt to run a full 3 miles no stopping for the first time. I've been successful running 2 miles in under 18 minutes and I feel like I can do it. It'll be the furthest I've ever run without stopping in my life and a HUGE NSV for me. I'll let you all know how it goes later tonight.

Replies

• JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great job! With your 2 mile time you'll be able to run 3 miles without trouble (although I'm guessing your pace will need to slow a bit). Good Luck and welcome to the addictive world of 5K running!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    please let me know how it goes-I am doing the c25k now and can't wait til I can do 3 miles!!!!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Just start your run, SLOW, slower than you think....your speed will increase as you go along.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have a great run!
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    Options
    Yeah, I ran a 5K Mud Run last year when i was around 275lbs, or should i say walked with some jogging. Then this year I ran the same race Jogging with some walking and beat last years time by 7 minutes. Now I have another Mud Run in a week and a half where I plan on getting under 40 minutes total. Its a tough 5K with a bunch of obstacles and Mud. My biggest feat will be the Tough Mudder next month. Celebrating my brothers return from deployment. 12 miles, 25 obstacles including Ice, Fire, and Live Wires.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Good luck and congrats on taking on a huge goal! You will be able to do the 3.2 miles. Your pace might need to slow a bit, that's quite a substantial increase.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it.
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just start your pace a little slower and speed up towards the end...you CAN do it =)
  • Lisasfit
    Options
    Go for it! You can totally rock that run!!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • Culley34
    Options
    A 5k is 3.1 miles, while not a huge difference from 3 miles -- if you're doing 10 minute miles (hypothetically, I know you've been going faster), just expect to add on a little extra time (i.e., 30 mins v. 31 mins).
  • dasmi
    Options
    Congratulations and Good Luck!!

I am on today I did my fourth run in two weeks after 15 years of no running at all. 10 years before that, I was a distance runner in high school. I am feeling like I can do anything and SO CAN YOU. Set your mind to it and tell your body what YOU are going to do!!!

My personal goal is a 5K in 20 minutes. Currently I am at 30. Got a ways to go!!!
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    Options
    A 5k is 3.1 miles, while not a huge difference from 3 miles -- if you're doing 10 minute miles (hypothetically, I know you've been going faster), just expect to add on a little extra time (i.e., 30 mins v. 31 mins).

Yeah I know about the extra little bit over 3 miles. Time isn't my concern at the moment, its mainly pushing through to the end with no walking that I'm concentrating on. I actually mapped out the run I'm going to try and its 3.16 Miles.
  • myriahj84
    Options
    You can do it! Your two mile run time is already good so if you just slow your pace a little you will be fine. It's really mind over matter. Let us know how it goes!
  • 65Fa5tback
    Options
    Awesome, great work!! Ill be attempting my first mud run & 5k run myself. I just started jogging again after a year & half without jogging.
  • NoExcusesAllProgress
    Options
    Unfortunately, because I was asked to stay late at work I wasn't able to go running like I planned last night. I did get 1 mile in on a treadmill though. Tomorrow is weigh in for the competition so I might attempt the run tomorrow morning before I weigh in to sweat out an extra pound or two :-P