Forks over Knives - Pondering Vegan?

Options

Replies

• Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet...but the book Food Inc has some great things in it. It's not necessarily about becoming vegan but shows how the beef industry has affected the USA and talks a lot about the fast food industry and such.

I have up beef and pork real easy after reading that book and that was about 8 years ago. I've been gradually going fan over the past year and my only advice is to take it slow and enjoy tons of new foods!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

.Also the body doesnt get all the essential aminos being vegan.

Actually it does. The body has it's own amino acids it makes and it takes ones it doesn't make from food.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/get-enough-protein-veg-diet.php
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well, I've updated my dairy categories ... I think this will be helpful (to know what I'm eating regardless of which direction I lean towards) ... getting back on track after a rough couple weeks!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sure, a diet of unprocessed plant food can bring huge health improvements to people who were formerly eating high cal, low nutrient crap. Especially in the short run. BUT the success is attributed to eliminating all animal foods. Think logically-these people are eating less and eating better, so they're going to lose weight and feel better. Just because their diet is restricted to plants doesn't mean its the animal food that was causing the problems. If there was a control group that ate less, better quality animal products in a balanced diet, then we might be able to come to some conclusions. But there isn't.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes we can say the problems were causes by the food they ate. Have you read the china cancer study? A lot of current studies are backing this up.

I would go find all the links and current studies but I am too lazy to do your research.
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    I would agree. It would be interesting to take two groups of unhelathy people (of whatever characteristics) and put one group on a specific calorie diet of whole vegan food, and the other a whole food diet that included animal products. That would be an ideal test. I would also probably agree that while the evidence may lead to a conclusion, the variance may not be as drastic as either side may guess.

If I could write a plan down on paper and magically make my body follow it, I would probably limit my animal intake to fish and lean meats (mainly deer and other game that I would hunt and fish!) ... that way I know what's going into it and how it was processed!

However, that's not easy, especially with a family of 6 ...
    Sure, a diet of unprocessed plant food can bring huge health improvements to people who were formerly eating high cal, low nutrient crap. Especially in the short run. BUT the success is attributed to eliminating all animal foods. Think logically-these people are eating less and eating better, so they're going to lose weight and feel better. Just because their diet is restricted to plants doesn't mean its the animal food that was causing the problems. If there was a control group that ate less, better quality animal products in a balanced diet, then we might be able to come to some conclusions. But there isn't.
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Ha, didn't expect you to do it. Just gathering info, opinions, tips, and plan to do it myself. This is one of the things I intend to look at myself too ... I would like to see both sides of this study too (those that support it, and those that don't) ... then I'll just look at the disgreements on either side, and research that validity.

Then I'll post my own research paper on it and all the resouces I cited (and all the hours I put into it) and I'll have everyone else tell me that I'm full of garbage and don't know what I'm talking about :) ... it's what opponents do, right? lol

Though I am starting to get the lazy but on this research project myself so it may not happen quite as detailed as I would wish in my head ;)
    Yes we can say the problems were causes by the food they ate. Have you read the china cancer study? A lot of current studies are backing this up.

I would go find all the links and current studies but I am too lazy to do your research.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm not one to be an alarmist, and I'm still not going to be, but I have to say the movie "Forks over Knives" really brought up some interesting things for me to ponder. I'm considering moving more towards a vegan diet (and frankly I've had periods of such and felt great), but was just curious if any of you have seen the movie and/or could point me to some places for me to do my own research?

I understand that most of these POV (point of view) documentaries, are just that, a POV. However there was a lot of info to make up here, and I am believing that at least a good chuck of it has some meat to it (pun intended).

Thoughts, Direction, Reading Suggestions, etc.

~Matt

You should watch earthlings
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think its personal preference. If you like meat, eat it. I have no problem with eating animals.

But I have a lot of veg* friends and as long as you're not one of those preaching *kitten* veg* you're good. There are a lot of material out there for getting the right amount of macros with just vegan or vegeterian lifestyle

Good luck sir
  • jen14128
    jen14128 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I watched it and then went pescatarian. I don't want to go full vegan because it seems like a PITA. But, vegetarian seems pretty easy, especially allowing fish. I don't know where to point you. I'm just letting you know that I made the leap after seeing that movie. I also think the movie has some controversy. Like anything "study", there's always things they leave out. Some of their data was subject to criticism, and you can google it. But, there's always haters, no matter what the situation.

I haven't really noticed anything or much difference except that I never feel heavy anymore. After a meal, you feel light, but full. I like it. It takes some getting used to.

One thing is, I sleep better at night. I used to be a horrible sleeper. Now, my sleep has improved a lot.

Agreed! vegetarian for 2 months now and the change in energy levels, sleep quality and general "lightness" is amazing!
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    It was only a click away! (thanks to Netflix) ... well ... that and mailing back one of my discs :) ... it's in my queue, thanks.
  • CRichards22
    Options
    I am a pescatarian, mostly vegetarian after seeing Forks Over Knives and Food Inc. I have also read a few books about the subject. I particularly liked Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I was vegetarian for approximately a year and then decided to add fish by into my diet for convenience when eating at restaurants. I eat very little dairy products but plenty of eggs. So I guess I'm my own breed of "conscientious eater". I avoid labels because of the kind of people like the close minded ones above who are all about a label and judgmental attitude toward others.

I like her reply! That sounds like my take. I haven't seen it yet plan to soon. Obviously the changes to eliminate as much processed food as possible is going to be good for you. Eating less dairy and meat everyday can't hurt the body either I'm sure.
    Thanks for the info on sites to check out as well! Bumped to read some later!!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It was only a click away! (thanks to Netflix) ... well ... that and mailing back one of my discs :) ... it's in my queue, thanks.

Watch it here and save yourself a Netflix disc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19eBAfUFK3E
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    bump
  • slkehl
    Options

The China Project is a well known example of an epidemiological study. Epidemiological studies are not controlled and therefore only reveal correlations. As anyone who has taken statistics could tell you, correlation does not prove causation, since third variables may not be accounted for . Meaning you CAN'T say "the problems were cause by the food they ate"

And as for you being "too lazy to do your research", good thing I'm graduating soon with a major in a Nutrition Science. I've read the research widely and have yet to come across a reliable body of information indicating that lean meats and fish should be avoided.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Eating a HEALTHY vegan diet can help people with health problems like high cholesterol in some cases. Sure it's 100% possible to be unhealthy and vegan and have a diet high in processed foods, but that's about any diet.

Wouldn't you agree, if done correctly, a vegan diet can be healthful?
  • fitsin10
    Options
    lots of good info here so.. Bump!
  • katejain
    Options
    I have been vegetarian since childhood, not for good health reasons but more for save a life eat more fruits and veggies reason. However I love cheese too much to become a vegan. I have no issues getting enough protein!! I'm sure being vegan would be great for getting fit and a healthy lifestyle!! Good luck whatever you decide :-)
  • slkehl
    Options

Eating a HEALTHY vegan diet can help people with health problems like high cholesterol in some cases. Sure it's 100% possible to be unhealthy and vegan and have a diet high in processed foods, but that's about any diet.

Wouldn't you agree, if done correctly, a vegan diet can be healthful?

I would definitely agree. A vegan diet has the potential to be very healthy. However, I also believe a diet with a reasonable amount of lean meat and fish can be just as healthy. I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise.
  • Thecatstevens
    Options
    It's interesting that you posted that. I was JUST discussing this with my ex husband who has turned complete vegan which is amazing considering what he used to eat. I asked him how and why he was doing this (besides the hot young girlfriend) and he told me to watch that movie forks over knives and it would change my life. Allegedly it's on Netflix and I'm going to take a look as well. He is a fireman and said he had a physical where his cholesterol was alarmingly high and after just doing it briefly he saw dramatic results. He is 50 this year and looks in the best shape I've ever seen him in honestly. I think it's worth the due diligence! Good luck!