Grrrr... Plantar Fasciitis

Options
Well this just sucks... I've been on MFP for about 2 months now, and have lost 32 lbs. It's been a great experience so far, one of the things that I've enjoyed most is the 2-4 mile walk that I've been taking at lunch. Last Wed. I had a sharp searing pain in my right arch on and off all day, and then since then it's been a non stop pain since then.

I went to see a Podiatrist today, and sure enough, it's Plantar Fasciitis (and a developing heel spur too). He wrapped my foot up to give it some support, and when I go back next week, we'll talk about whether I need orthotics or not, but now, I'm scared to go walking again. The pain (other than that first day) hasn't been to bad, but the last thing that I want to do is to make it worse and have to deal with pain like that on a regular basis.

It's depressing to be making progress, and then have something like this happen. I've tried the recumbent bike in the gym a couple of times, and that just doesn't do it for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions of cardio that I can do to keep this weight loss going, without having to be worried about damaging my feet?

Thanks!

Replies

• lorettarailing
    lorettarailing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bicycle
  • Gr8mum77
    Options
    The elliptical is my favorite. You're still on your feet, but you aren't raising them up and bringing them back down like you do on the treadmill. It is more like a seamless transition from step to step. Good luck and feel better!
  • wallisjules
    Options
    I suffered with this in both feet for about a year. I got orthotics and had a few pain relief injections but didn't really do much. In the end I had Extra-Corpreal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) and after 4 treatments and about 6 weeksafter I have never had pain again and that was about 5 years ago.

I still wear the orthotics in my gym shoes and do a range of cardio classes and my feet have been great. I do Body Balance and i am sure this also helps keep my feet in check with all the great stretches.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll ask the doctor about this, but will have to take it slowly on the elliptical. The few times that I've tried it, it has hurt my knees (hopefully when I get down another 30-40 lbs, that will get better).
    The elliptical is my favorite. You're still on your feet, but you aren't raising them up and bringing them back down like you do on the treadmill. It is more like a seamless transition from step to step. Good luck and feel better!
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I read a little about ESWT. Hopefully, I caught this early enough that with some rest and maybe orthotics I'll be OK. Thanks for the information though, and I'm glad that you're over it!
    I suffered with this in both feet for about a year. I got orthotics and had a few pain relief injections but didn't really do much. In the end I had Extra-Corpreal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) and after 4 treatments and about 6 weeksafter I have never had pain again and that was about 5 years ago.

I still wear the orthotics in my gym shoes and do a range of cardio classes and my feet have been great. I do Body Balance and i am sure this also helps keep my feet in check with all the great stretches.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Swimming, if you can.
  • hunterpie
    hunterpie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    stretch several times a day....trust me...will help a ton!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Also try rolling your foot over a cold soda can (sounds crazy) and keep your calves stretched well. I had it for a while and it was very related to tension in my calf muscle. If you have the option, a chiropractor may be able to help also - bad alignment can exacerbate it. Mine also had this "thing" (technical term LOL) that looked like a stick with beads on it - you would roll it up and down the back of your calves to keep the muscles lose - he said it helped a lot with PF.

Well made, well fitting shoes are also key - and never go barefoot - always wear shoes even in the house.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this also last year. He gave me a cortizone shot, put me in the wrap for 10 days with NO walking or running, then fitted for orthotics. It helped & got better....for a few months. Slowly it came back but in the other foot also. Now I just wear my orthotics & threw out all my flats (not an issue you'll have obviously). It's to the point I absolutely cannot walk without shoes of some sort on but his next suggestion to me was surgery & I refuse to go that route. You can get a great cardio workout on the bicycle, elliptical or Concept II Rower. Good luck!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    dont get down!! there are spome foot streteches you can do to help with the pain as well as rolling your foot over a ball. I had the same thing a few months back and with a little time and patience it got better..try doing other excercises in the meantime such as swimming or weight training!! good ,luck!
  • grumpster72
    grumpster72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've had ongoing plantar fasciitis for a while now and bicycling does seem to help. They tell you to stay off your feet, but that's not going to happen.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not. You don't really want to 'rest' with Plantar's. What you need to do though is to stretch that tendon before you get out of bed every morning. The tendon gets stiff in the night. You have to stretch it out before bearing weight on it each day. Also, freeze a water bottle and roll it around under your foot. The cold will ease the inflammation. Plantar's does get better over time so it's not a big deal. Don't let this minor setback hold you down.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    Lots of stretching. You can find the exercises on the Internet. More importantly....you need a great pair of shoes. Personally, I have found that all I can wear comfortably now are Asics. Took me hours to try on probably 150 pairs. Lots of arch support and heel padding. I spent 6 months in pt and a night boot. Don't push yourself to that point please!!! If walking hurts, don't do it. :) And once it feels better, make sure to keep up the stretching. Good luck!!!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain...literally...a few months ago i was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis and Plantar Fibromatosis in both feet, however, now, only my right foot gives me pain which does make it difficult with working out. i am not about to have surgery though so i am suffering with the pain and trying to ignore it the best i can. i wear orthotics in my sneakers, and bought Strutz which are awesome because it allows me to walk barefoot or just in socks, and without pain but if i walk for any distance my foot will hurt.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with it now too. I also developed it after losing about 25 lbs. I know it's frustrating. Here are my tips:
    Frozen water bottle...roll your foot over it for 10 min.
    Stretch 5-6 times a day...use a step to hang your heel down below the rest of your foot for 30 seconds a few times, alternate feet.
    I bought heel cups for $8. They help the pain immediately, but they push my feet forward so I need a 1/2 size bigger shoe now. I think they're throwing my body mechanics off too, since my knees have been hurting since I began using them. It's still better than the heel pain.

As for other exercise, I still walk...even though it hurts.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Agree :happy:
  • gigivanb
    Options
    I have a frozen water bottle that I roll under my foot. Ibuprofen. LOTS of stretching. Lots and lots. Shorten your stride. Get your feet evaluated for perhaps a new shoe -- I lost weight, my foot changed because the way I walk changed. Hope it feels better fast fast. p.s. dont run around barefoot when you're at home -- that's what hurts me the most :(
  • dkmclean
    dkmclean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not. You don't really want to 'rest' with Plantar's. What you need to do though is to stretch that tendon before you get out of bed every morning. The tendon gets stiff in the night. You have to stretch it out before bearing weight on it each day. Also, freeze a water bottle and roll it around under your foot. The cold will ease the inflammation. Plantar's does get better over time so it's not a big deal. Don't let this minor setback hold you down.

I had the same problem and ran through it. The frozen water bottle is the best, I had one at home and one at work. I run 4-5 miles a day at work and I actually can't remember when my PF stopped bothering me but I never stopped running/stretching. Good luck
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had horrible plantar fascitis in both feet until very recently (I started my weight loss in May at 394 pounds and it was hard to even get out of bed and walk the few feet to the bathroom). I started doing water aerobics and treading water, lost 60 pounds, and in the last two weeks or so have felt huge relief of my PF. If you can access a pool, it may do wonders for you like it did for me, Also as others have suggested, bicycling and the elliptical may be good options. I think what has helped the most is steady weight loss, so it would be great for you to focus on refining your eating to maximize your weight loss and get relief for your feet and entire body. Best wishes!
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had it, I got it because I went running in poor shoes. I stopped running, did stretches and now I have a bike. Would love to go running again but this time with proper shoes and when I've lost a bit more weight.