HELP! Possible Senna Tea Overdose?

Options
Hi! I've been drinking senna tea in the form of cassia seeds for about two weeks. I didn't have any symptoms until today when I woke up with a terrible stomach ache and have been having diarrhoea. I feel terrible! Has this happened to anyone else? How long did it last? What should I do to ease symptoms? I've certainly learned my lesson about laxatives...

Replies

• aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    yes i used to drink that tea to help me lose weight then i started getting bad cramps so i stopped but diarrhea lasted for a couple of days
  • hiddenplace
    Options
    Why do you use senna in the first place ?
    It is not recommended to use it for over a week. Your digestive system might get addicted to it and after some point, you will have real bad constipation problems...
    If you have a problem with going to the bathroom, eat fiber.
    Senna is really an emergency solution like if you don't go at all for a whole week but even there, it's better to consult a doctor first...
    It is normal that you are feeling cramps, it increases the peristalsis of your intestine.

My advice ? Just STOP it.
    I work in a natural supplement store and I heard too many sad stories about people developping irritable bowel syndrome and chronic constipation because of a prolonged use of senna.....
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to overdose your system with this tea. Be very careful with this stuff. What other liquids have you been drinking? Water, diet soda, other teas? If you continue to have severe cramps and diarrhea, you must see a doctor!!! Otherwise, stop drinking the tea and stay away from it for a long time. You should replenish your system with water, Pedialyte, or Light Gatorade. The cramps are due to your intestines losing large amounts of fluids. Basically, your guts are dehydrated. Kinda like the headache you get when you are hungover; well that's what your intestines are going through. The Pedialyte or Light Gatorade will help replenish your system of electrolytes and much needed potassium. Potassium will also help ease the cramps.

As always, please get yourself to a doctor if your diarrhea persists for more than 36-48hrs and/or you begin to run a fever, have chills, vomiting, severe headaches, nausea, rapid heartbeat, or changes in the color and/or temperature of your skin such as clammy skin. These can be symptoms of severe dehydration.

I'm not trying to scare you, but laxative teas can have very serious side effects and should never be used for more than a few days. They are most often prescribed to patients suffering from constipation related to medications such as painkillers. Only you knows YOUR body!!! If you think something is way off, get to the E.R. ASAP!!!!