65 years old and eating 1400-1500 cals,what are you eating

Options
Hi I am soon to be 65 and I eat 1400-1500 cals daily that is 1300 + exercise cals burned.....I have just upped my calories cause I am not loosing weight..I do exercise...I have lost 30 pounds in another program but I am not loosing anymore just up and down 1 to 2 pounds every week.I have been with MFP since I January 2012 and not much success

I would appreciate answers from people 60 years and over...no offense to others

I am 65 -179 lbs..5'1'' and eat 1400-1500 cals daily...........can you let me know how many calories you are eating....

thanks ahead of time for taking time to answer this post HELP :blushing:

SORRY to those who are not 60 and over the only reason I have asked for that is that if you are 30 and I am 65 our Metabolism are not working the same way...far from it...so I can not compare with what you are saying...thanks anyway

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 and set mine at 1300, and not eating back exercise, which is pretty minimal anyway except on golf days. I am losing slowly but pretty steadily. With so many years of yoyo dieting I'm pretty sure my metabolism has gone way downhill, and I don't think mfp takes that into account when setting goals.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    23, was at 2500 and just trying 2200 for a few weeks to see if I can cut the fat faster. I will abort and go back to 2500 if lean mass loss starts to happen.

Heh, didn't see the 60+ requirement. If it helps, I feel it some days. Also curious about the responses.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Almost 62 and did great the first 6 months loing 50. Now I go up and down the 1 -2 lbs too. I tried upping for the last couple weeks.. didn't gain any extra now just starting to cut back to about 1300. I am hoping it will help. I am going to start lifting some weights a little.. everyone claims it will help. Othewise my exercise is walking, I have had to increase speed and swing my arms more now. Good luck.
  • myreedtx
    Options
    I am 66 and 167# and eating 1,200 calories and drink lots of water. I have lost 13# since August 1. I am adding more exercise (I do very little) because I am frustrated by the slow loss rate.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm 65; will be 66 in November
    Been +/- 3 pounds from 'goal' weight for ten months
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Izzyfit ====have you lost your 30 pounds since you have been here on MFP since January...see we have both been here since January and at first I was eating 1200 and was told I was in starvation mode and I have nothing to show for all of my hard work since January..thanks for answering
  • dbarchus
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear from those younger than 60 (which I am) but I am in menopause, which for me created a DRASTIC slow down in my metabolism. What worked for me is to:

* eliminate bread, pasta, crackers (basically all WHEAT products which aren't sprouted grains) from my diet.
    * drastically reduced my sugar intake, and eliminated all calorie free sweetners, except for stevia products.
    * replace my oils with real butter, olive and coconut oils.
    * I set MFP for a 1200 calorie day and a low activity day, then I exercise ~60 minutes / day and eat back ALL the calories I earn. I do 20 minutes of yoga and another 40 minutes of either walking or elliptical, nothing terribly creative.

When I do this, I have a hard time gaining weight, even when I eat above my daily allowance.

As soon as I add back wheat products, even if I only eat my 1200 calorie allowance, I start to gain weight and I feel bloated.

Take what you like, I know it's tough to replace wheat in our culture, but you can always try it for a few days and see what happens. :)

Good luck!
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    PU 239=====yes I did increase them...see I was doing only 1200 and stopped loosing so I was informed that I should be eating more in order to loose...by the way my BMR according to my age height and all was calculated by MFP for 1300..thanks for your response
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Hi dianefisher47, I am 62. I have been on MFP for a few months. I am 5'2 and a super small frame. I had my proverbial last 10-20ish pounds to loose (finally, after a life long loose a chunk at a time journey).

I had lost some pounds before joining MFP by faithfully doing cardio exercise and trying to be more healthy this time. I have lost 15 pounds now of which about 6 (really 8 but haven't posted it yet as I wasn't sure they were going to stay away, but they have) were with MFP. I started all of this last part of my journey in April this year and joined MFP about two months or so later.

MFP set me to eat 1200 cals and suppose to eat back exercise cals for a projected of maybe .5 pound a week or less. I did a lot of cardio with Leslie Sansone DVDs and ate back as much of the calories as I was hungry for but tried to stay at around eating back 1/2 or sometimes less of them. I learned about eating more to loose more so I increased my protein and fiber intake and tried to cut back on carbs but didn't do well with the carbs. I did well upping the protein and fiber though. (I logged everything unless I went to a carb binge really late at night b/c by then it was too late and just had to do better the next day). Other than that I was super diligent about loggin cals and thinking through everything I wanted to eat.

I'm in 'maintance' right now as I don't really want (at this time) to loose more pounds but to tone so MFP gave me an extra 70 calories not counting eating back cals. I'm struggling in this phase as it is new to me and not sure how to balance exercise/ tone/ maintain / eat.

Wishing you the best in your desire to be healthy and fit.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am 64 years old and I have mine set for 1200 calories a day. I exercise an extra 700-1200 calories a day. I try to do both aerobic and strength) I generally eat around 1200 calories a day, but I try to eat more every few days, just to trick my metabolism so it doesn't think I am in starvation mode. I read some where that it takes at least 3 days for your body to feel like it is in starvation mode. I do not eat alot of breads, etc.--just occasionally. This seems to be working for me--I lost over 50 pounds before switching to MFP (mostly because it gave me a better way to track things) and I have lost another 3 since being on here a couple of weeks. I hope this helps. You are welcome to friend me if you wish.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Izzyfit ====have you lost your 30 pounds since you have been here on MFP since January...see we have both been here since January and at first I was eating 1200 and was told I was in starvation mode and I have nothing to show for all of my hard work since January..thanks for answering
    Yes that's since Jan., averaging about.8 lbs/week.
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm 61 and eating about 1800 cal or more a day that is with eating back excercise calories. I started in Aug. 2012. I've lost 20 lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!