Looking for Tough Mudders.

Options
I'm doing Tough Mudder Carolina's for the first time and would like to friend people in the area who are also signed up. Advice from any Mudders would be nice also. Where are ya'll at?

Replies

• kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is this where you run in the mudd and do all kinds of crazy work to get to the finish line? I believe a group of people from our church does this each year...
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of mud/obstacle races --- but Tough Mudder is probably the hardest! I looked into it here in Maryland - and got so scared, I'll be starting with Run For Your Life instead! LOL

Good luck to you - keep us posted!
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are multiple ones at different locations. I know of the Maniac mud run 5k, the Marine Corps mud run 3 miles, the spartan race 8 miles, and Tough Mudder 12 miles, and a few others. They're all obstacle courses. You can find videos on YouTube or their web pages.
  • KirstFaye
    KirstFaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have dreams of doing Tough Mudder. Checkout your local Crossfit gym, they will have people signed up. I go to a Crossfit gym and there's a list of members who have signed up, and/or completed in the past.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm doing this one too! I'm doing it on a team with my coworker and girlfriend. I'm not really in the area, I'm in Knoxville TN. It was just the closest one for my coworker who moved to Atlanta.

My advice is try to find the old tough mudder workout. The one they have posted right now is pretty crappy in my opinion. Either the exercises are too easy or too hard. The old tough mudder one was perfect.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one on the 30th. The only advice I have...hit up YouTube for advice videos. That's what I've been doing. There are a lot of breakdowns of the different obstacles and tips on training, etc. The most often tip I find is to rest the week before the Mudder and eat as clean as possible. Get to 100%, we'll need it.
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did a similar event called "Rugged Maniacs", my advice to you is make sure your pants fit!!!! I learned this the hard way...
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I did Tough Mudder Toronto this past August. It was SO much fun!!!

16km and 19 obstacles. All were doable - well, I couldn't do the monkey bars, or rings. I did give them my best shot, but did end up in the drink. :tongue

For many, the biggest challenge was the running distance, so if you can run the total distance of the course, no problem.

Have FUN!!!:happy:
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    12 miles,.. wooo, I'd have to pass. haha Good luck tho! Sounds like fun!!
  • psmith_five
    Options
    @sdereski- Thanks. The monkey bars and run are the two that have me the most worried. I've been focusing on my pull ups in the gym the most. I need to up my running though.
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just did my first mud run last weekend. You're going to have solo much fun! Bring extra clothes (they should have a shower type area) and bring plastic bags for your muddy clothes. Sunscreen, towel, extra shoes, wear shoes you don't care about ruining and if you are a runner, go with people on your same fitness level. Have fun, get muddy, oh, and keep your mouth closed in the pits and be prepared to slip in mud and fall on your butt.....a few times! :) happy mudding! Oh, and I second the fitted clothes or drawings at the very least!
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    @sdereski- Thanks. The monkey bars and run are the two that have me the most worried. I've been focusing on my pull ups in the gym the most. I need to up my running though.

Monkey bars are actually pretty easy when you just twist at the shoulder instead of pulling up to get to the next rung. I would focus more on dead hangs and forearm exercises, considering they grease up the rungs with butter & mud!
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    I'm on camp lejeune bro when and where will the race be?
  • psmith_five
    Options
    Its about 25 miles outside of Florence SC on Oct. 27th and 28th. Their website has details for registration. http://toughmudder.com/events/carolinas-2012/ I'm sure there will be plenty of fellow Devil dogs there as well.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did a round of Insanity to get me ready but my advise is to get your running in. At least a couple times a week. And no treadmills or city rounds, looks for some trails to run cross country style. Most of the mud runs are picked for their tough terrains. The one I did was at a ski hill so I don't think there was any flat running surfaces!!

Good luck to you... have fun!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options

Yes, work on your running. One of the gals on my team was not a runner and the running wore her out so bad (it took place at a ski hill, so there were lots of BIG hills) that she was unable to do several of the obstacles.
    I am a runner, so that was not a problem for me - got to each obstacle and didn't hesitate to go for it. Well, maybe I hesitated just a little at some. :wink: