Need encouraging!!!!

Options
I am having trouble recently of believing in myself. Im actually more scared I have that evil evil EVIL voice in the back of my head telling me "who are you kidding a marathon???" I know they say never tell yourself anything you wouldnt let someone else tell you. Any tips on killing that mean little witch in my brain????

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and listen to some inspiring music. I have Miley Cyrus's "The Climb" on my iPod that I listen to when I work out, and it's not only reassuring, but helps me push.
    I have been hearing that wicked little voice in my head lately, too. I don't know if you're religious or not, but I know for certain that when we really try, the Lord won't let us fail! I've had this reinforced many times to me since starting this journey.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thats the little voice that wants u to fail, We all hate change and thats what your doing! But guess what? Thats just a small voice and you are a strong wonderful woman who can live up to this goal! Tell the small voice to shut up and push it back, yell at it (yes I know this is the equivilent of talking to yourself) But you can do it! Good luck dont let anyone tell you, you cant because you can...even if it is yourself!

PS I do this often LOL, I even yell at myself (in my head) when I'm on the eliptical and all I want to do is get off and go home. I Scream "who are you cheating but yourself!!!" It really does work for me.
  • LETIN1
    LETIN1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Just try and stay focus. Think about how good you feel and will when you reach your goal. :smile:
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    all of the above are very good ideas. Music really helps me. One other thing I have recently noticed, I have to exercise in the morning, I guess the endorphins are helping me and my mood. I have noticed I get so down if I don't exercise in the a.m.
    YOU can do it! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    I read somewhere once that all races under 10k are about endurance. Races longer than 10k are all mental. This is part of the process. It's good practice to learn how to overcome those voices for when you're at mile 20 and feel like giving up. During my first half marathon a couple years ago, I got down on myself at mile 12. I could see the freaking finish line and I started to get upset! How crazy is that??

This morning I had a tough time doing my 5 miles...just take it one step at a time. I finished--it wasn't my greatest run ever--but I finished. You'll get through this...just keeping moving. :)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!! The sports physcologist said itis the most mental of all sports. Running I can do for hours if needed its that voice that says differently. Its not advised we use mp3s during the race but Im gonna anyways but Im also gonna train some without it so in case they tell me I cant at all use it I will toss it at dad and not get screwed up. I like the stay focused and listen to inspiring music. I LOVE the biggest loser song...I may buy the cd cause its all inspiring push thru it music. I did a tough run today merely 1.5 but thru the agoinizingly bad blizzard that has crippled the city kinda made me feel like superwoman...
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Put mine in time out this weekend and threatened him with a belt, behaving nicely now, except for lunch, but that's another post...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Joani.........make a list of all the things you have accomplished in the past year, five years and since you were 18. I did this once.......just wrote down what my dreams were at 18...........and how many of those things I actually accomplished, even though my inner self said it was impossible.

This helped me tremendously.

You can do this Joani..............you CAN do this!!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie