Kombucha

Options
Thoughts on Kombucha and/or Kombucha with Chia Seeds?

Replies

• droogievesch
    Options
    I heard it was really good for you, but I haven't tried it. I would love to hear some opinions from users who have tried it. All the "reviews" I've read on it was on kombucha websites, so biased imo. I'm not necessarily looking at it to be a "wonder drug" or a "lose weight quick" kind of deal. Just an honest opinion on how it made people feel.
  • SunshineDay76
    Options
    I have known about it for about a year, but have only started drinking it regularly about a month ago. I really have grown to like the taste, and of course the benefits since it gets things moving.

But honestly - I don't really know that much about it! So I'm hoping some of you all out there know a little more about this stuff and can help educate me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's considered a fermented beverage. Many nutritionists promote fermented foods.
    Mine does. I drink it.

And I use chia seeds daily in my yogurt etc. but not in my booch.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally...how much do you have to drink to improve digestion issues is my question.
  • reddingaz
    reddingaz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sprouts Market & Whole Foods carry a bottled drink called Synergy that is made of Kombucha and some flavors have chia seeds in them too - I personally didn't really care for the Kombucha but I love chia drinks - I make my own at home but those same stores carry a brand called Mamma Chia that are good too!

I recall some friends years back fermenting their own Kombuch from live cultures - that would probably be more cost effective that buying the bottled beverages.
  • SunshineDay76
    Options
    Bump - hoping more people chime in.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love Kombucha :) Would drink it everyday if it wasn't so expensive. I like to drink it when I want a fizzy type drink. I use it as my "soda".
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    we just make our own. You can usually find folks giving away scoby for starter. I also use Kefir in my shakes. I do prefer kefir over kombucha though.
  • SunshineDay76
    Options
    we just make our own. You can usually find folks giving away scoby for starter. I also use Kefir in my shakes. I do prefer kefir over kombucha though.

What is Kefir?
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I love the taste of Kombucha (sp?). But, I hate that snot part at the bottom. I also love kefir. And, I keep chia seeds around for various recipes.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like it, especially on fasting days. How much you need to drink to improve your digestion depends entirely on your digestion.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Love Kombucha :) Would drink it everyday if it wasn't so expensive. I like to drink it when I want a fizzy type drink. I use it as my "soda".
    Me too :drinker:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty adventurous ....... just had it for the first time and thought it tasted like crap ...... you asked :laugh:
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Kefir is another fermented probiotic drink. There are actually two different types of Kefir. The more traditional style is made from milk and the other is water kefir. I Much prefer the water kefir over the milk kefir--the milk kefir tastes like sour milk to me. However, that being said, I prefer Kombucha to water kefir. All of these can be made at home, but I suggest you buy some of the synergy or another brand to try it first. My favorites from Synergy are the ones that have ginger in them, but I am told that they are more of an acquired taste.

Both Kefir and Kombucha are great because they are both probiotic and prebiotic. This means that it helps keep the good bacteria in your gut healthy and happy.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty adventurous ....... just had it for the first time and thought it tasted like crap ...... you asked :laugh:

Which one did you try? I have tried nearly all of the Synergy brand as well as some of the other brands and have found that I greatly prefer some flavors over others.
  • klingerman73
    klingerman73 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the High Country Kombucha (http://www.hckombu.com/wp/). I deal with gout and swear by my kombucha helping cleanse my system. Good stuff maynard!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options

Which one did you try? I have tried nearly all of the Synergy brand as well as some of the other brands and have found that I greatly prefer some flavors over others.

Sorry, don't remember ...... I'm willing to give them another try ..... oooh, I just shivered thinking about it :laugh:
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    While I don't know a lot about it and have not gotten into the Kombucha drinking (I may in the near future) I have a friend that makes her own and feels it's very beneficial. Here is a blog post she posted on the subject you may find informative. Kefir on the other hand I love and make my own!
    ******************************************************************************************************************************************
    I learned about kombucha (Kom-Booo-cha.) from my Nourishing Traditions cookbook, and have since heard about it from many different blogs, websites and other books I've read. I was convinced of it's health value, but still nervous to try it.

Whole Foods Market sells bottled GT kombucha. It's almost $4 for a 16 oz glass. With my homemade brew, it costs under $10. I win all around!

It's even catching on in the 'main stream'.

Some of the health values of Kombucha (and some random websites about it):

1. It cleanses the body of toxins (detoxing): according to this article from Weston A Price Foundation's website (amazing website BTW): 'Kombucha is rich in B vitamins and a substance called glucuronic acid which binds up environmental and metabolic toxins so that they can be excreted through the kidneys. Glucuronic acid is a natural acid that is produced by the liver. Kombucha simply supplies the body with more and boosts the natural detoxification process. '

2. It's great for filling that craving for a soda, since it has the same fizz. I do not care for it plain, but when I add about 1/2 cup of my favorite juice (mine is red grape juice), it's divine!

3. It aides in digestion. Which is why I am trying to get us to drink it with our lunch every day. We all have some definite digestive issues, and I hope this will help us on our road to fixing them. The SCOBY basically eats the black tea/sugar mixture for 5-7 days, breaking it down into easily digested, highly 'alive' enzymes. So it's similar to eating fermented veggies with each meal (which we still don't do, but will someday...).

4. It seems to aid in metabolism as well. That one, I can attest to personally. I started drinking it a few weeks ago and I could honestly tell my metabolism has sped up. I lost a few pounds, and hopefully will continue to. I had read it, but didn't really believe it. But it really does seem to be doing that-for me anyway. Here is a great 'question and answer' on making kombucha.

5. It's so easy to make! Here is how I do it:

What you need to make your own:
    Black Tea bags/leaves
    Water
    SCOBY (anyone making it will have 'offspring' you can have)
    Glass Jars (2 preferably-although bowls and crocks work to)
    1 cup of organic white sugar
    strainer
    cheesecloth or light-weight towel
    1/2 cup of organic juice-preferably freshly juiced, but bottled works too

Directions:

I take a gallon of water, boil it and add 8 tea bags (black, organic is best), or the equivilant in tea leaves. Steep for approximately 30 minutes.

Add 1 cup of organic white sugar, stir well, and then let come to room temperature.

Put tea into a glass container (I use a gallon glass jar I bought for $2), put SCOBY on top and pour leftover liquid over mushroom. Cover with cheese cloth.

Leave it for 5 days in a warm place (I put mine on my counter, a few feet from my stove).

After day 5, I put a cup of organic juice in another glass gallon container.

I take out the SCOBY and put it in a larg bowl with about 1 cup of kombucha (very important to keep some from every batch for consistency and safety).

Then I pour the rest of the kombucha in with the juice. I use organic red grape juice from WFM, no additives at all, but I've also juiced apples and white grape juice. Be sure and mix well.

At this point, I strain them into 16 oz bottles. It all fits in 8 bottles. Or, I pour them into quart canning jars and put the plastic lids on them.

Leave them out for another 2 days, to get fizzy and eat some of the sugars from the added juice.

I do prefer them cold, so I refrigerate them after the 2 days are up.

That's it. It's really so simple once you get into a 'routine' with it. It takes time, but very little maintenance. I find that is true of the most nourishing foods in life (sourdoughs, bone broth, fermented veggies and fruit, kefir).
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Looks like fungus water. Tastes like fungus water. I'm going to stick with my fungus grape juice and fungus barley mash, thanks. :)
  • mmbk
    mmbk Posts: 2
    Options
    I drink Kevita Mango Coconut. It only has 1g of sugar in it and it tastes really good. A lot of the others have too much sugar in it for me and this one isn't too vinegar tasting. I buy it at WF and this brand/flavor sells out so fast whereas the others do not.