Does anyone read while they exercise?

Options

Replies

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you can read while you're "exercising", then you're not working hard enough. :flowerforyou:
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wasn't sure at first if I'd be able to do it while moving. I made the font bigger and found it was fine. At first it's a little hard to keep my place but once I get into it I haven't had a problem.

I don't know about not working out hard enough. It's possible... I'm still at the beginning of my weight loss, I've only lost 6lbs so far; I'm still a good 279lbs. But I do 1.25 miles on the elliptical in about 20 minutes, then I'll hit the treadmill for 40 minutes and 2.5 miles. I'm working my way up on the elliptical, made it to 25 minutes this week. My goal is to do my whole hour on it instead of the treadmill.

Maybe once I get to that point I won't be able to read while I do it anymore. We shall see!

I obviously don't read while strength training, weight lifting, etc. I should have been more specific :)
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i tried once. Barbell hit me in the face. Never bench press 1 handed.
  • mrsbrightside4
    Options
    I see people read all the time at the gym. I can only do it if I'm on the bike. I wish I could read while on the other machines, I get motion sickness :(
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Oh man I get headaches if I try. I'm bouncing around too much, no way. A lot of women at my gym bring their e-readers, but they're also skinny and strolling along on the treadmill.
    I either need intense music, or I've started watching TV on my phone. This is because I don't need to stare at the screen the whole time as long as I can hear it, so I don't get headaches, but I still am distracted from how much my excersising hurts.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    people used to bring textbooks with them to the gym in college. i just can't focus on words when i'm working out. plus, i like to have an ESCAPE from everything and just zone out. :)
  • valcladdagh
    valcladdagh Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    too funny!
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I love reading on my kindle when I am on the stationary bike. Sometimes I read on elliptical, but sometimes it makes me motion sick.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If I was planning on the ellipticals and only the ellipticals, I brought my Kindle. Now I'm trying to get some running in most days so it's a pain to have it.

I think music is better option for me. Often when I'm at the gym Paula Dean is on the food network slowly killing her family with butter and it's entertaining to watch since they've enabled the closed captioning on all the TVs and I don't have to deal with her DRAWLLLL

I'm trying to increase my speed and distance running so very few just ellipticals days now.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I can't read or even watch TV while working out at a high level of intensity. I need to have an accompaniment of fast-paced music with a strong beat.
  • valcladdagh
    valcladdagh Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    too funny!

was referencing the comment about people not recognizing a book, but the quote didn't attach, oops
  • maricardenas
    Options
    I would recommend you stop reading.. personally I feel that people should TRAIN HARD or GO HOME.. motivate to do your best each time and concentrate on your workout!

xx
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to attach a book to a barbell.

LOL.

I tape my book to the sled on the leg press and when I let it descend I turn the pages.
  • jlobraun
    Options
    I ALWAYS read while exercising! It is my favorite thing to do while walking/jogging on the treadmill or using the elliptical. I get several magazine subscriptions and I like to read them while working out. Sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and relax while reading a magazine in the evening, but I'll make myself wait until the following morning to read while I workout. I figure I'm learning and using my brain while exercising- it's a win/win situation!
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to, but then realized that I wasn't really working hard enough if I was able to read while on the bike.

^ This.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I used to read my Nook all the time on the bike and treadmill. I workout at a rehab hospital wellness center so most of the clientele is older, and for a while it was aggravating because everyone would stop and ask if it was a Kindle and I'd politely say 'no, it's the Barnes and Noble Nook' and answer all their questions. That calmed down after a while though. I've stopped taking it with me though, because now I'm paying more attention to my speed/rpm's and heart rate and that holds my attention. As I get more used to what my body is doing and how it should feel, I'm guessing that I'll be taking my Nook again.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So, I'm going to say something, but I'm really nto being disrespectful. I see it sometimes, but I can't for the life of me figure out how one can read and exercise. I've tried it because it looks like fun. But, then my exercise was half-@$$ because I wasn't really pushing, but rather just turning the pedals. totally different. Yeah, when I see people reading, I don't really think they are working out much at all. Again, i do not mean any disrespect it's just my opinion since I've tried it. Maybe I'm just super bouncy.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I post sometimes in between sets...
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Oh, I notice probably 3/4 of the people attending my gym reading. I can really only manage to balance/not get sick doing it if I'm on the bike, though, and I find it more difficult on the elliptical.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks on my ipod while on the elliptical, on the recumbent bike I get online and surf the forums. Hard to comment though so I save that for when I get off the bike and after I log my exercise.