Foods for IBS

Options
I was diagnosed two years ago and am still working on figuring out what makes me feel bad (sometimes I'm too lazy, or just completely forget). What do you eat or avoid to alleviate symptoms?

I know everyone is different, but so far my list to avoid includes:

Caffeine (coffee, pop, black/green tea), cheese, milk, milk chocolate, ice cream, red meat, chips, spicy food, high sugared foods, high salty foods, greasy/fried food.

I also limit beans, white grains (including more whole grains), acidic fruits, dark chocolate, processed foods (working on cutting this out completely), and yogurt (replacing with Greek yogurt). I don't drink alcohol, so that's not a problem.

To alleviate symptoms, I drink a lot of water and peppermint (caffeine free) herbal tea, and walk a TON.

Any other suggestions? What do you eat/drink to replace what you can no longer have?

Replies

• Lkatinas
    Lkatinas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a majority of fruites, vegetable, white meat and fish. There is a great book called "IBS - The First Year" by Heather Van Vorous. There is a specific part in the book that tells you what foods are "safe foods". There are three stages of food. You can actually go to her website helpforibs.com and there is a printable guide of what foods are safe, which foods should be eaten with care, and which foods shouldn't be eaten, It changed my life. I used that guide to begin with and now have adjusted it after knowing what works for me the best. I also take probiotics which help tremendously.
  • sue_886
    Options
    Thank you!! I'm looking at it now. I also take probiotics and find them extremely helpful.