I am so discouraged :(

Options
I started losing by cutting out excess sugar and bread/grains and ate some grains, but primarily protein and veggies which started things off great. I then started recording here because I was starting to plateau. It has worked, I have been losing, but slowly.

Well, I just got into my daughter's snacks :( I know I shouldn't let them in the house, but I think I should be able to have more control. I have been in that zone before (control) Well, today I screwed up royally :( Feeling like giving up but thought I would post as a final call for help :-/

Replies

• MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Everyone slips up sometimes. Don't let it get to you, just use it as motivation for trying harder from now on.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the horse. A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. You probably didn't eat that many calories.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    So, my advice is forgive yourself and move on to another day in your journey. **** happens and we all go through the mishaps and bad decisions. the key is to get back on the horse and move forward, in my opinion.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't let a bad moment turn into a horrible day (or wreck your whole plans).

Look at the bigger picture - how much have you lost in total?
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    I think we have all done at some point. Don't give up. The best thing you can do is log it and move on. Don't beat yourself up over it. Start fresh this minute and move forward. Hang in there. You can do it :)
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't give up just because of one day! Your willpower muscle is probably tired from overuse.

I give myself a splurge every week. I still log everything, but I just don't worry about what I'm eating. The longer I do this the less I am able to/want to eat, so it's not that bad. You'd have to put in a real effort to eat through a whole week's deficit (3500 calories!) in one day.

This method may or may not slow my weight loss, but it works for me because it keeps me sane and keeps me from feeling deprived.

The guilt is tough, but chalk it up to human nature and put it behind you. No reason to give up now!
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Not only is every day a new day, but every moment is a new moment! I ate half of a bag of Caramel Apple Kettle Corn from the fair last night while laying in bed. -_- I worked harder this morning. You will be fine! :)
  • rclcolumbus
    Options
    Don't let this get you discouraged. Just recognize how it made you feel and learn from it. If you "diet" aka eat the way your supposed to, throughout the week and then allow one day for yourself (I call it treat day) then you wont want to munch or feel you have to sneak. It'll give you something to look forward and work towards. mine is every saturday. My husband and I go out to eat and I'll eat some sort of dessert as well. Throughout the week if I want something sweet I grab a yogurt or make a smoothie or even a 100 calorie sorbet fruit pop from wegmans. As long as you use proper portions and tell yourself "Hey it'll taste better saturday when I've earned it!" You can do this!!! slow and steady wins the race!!!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    It is not easy to stay the course, if it were this site would not exist. You can't change what has happened, maybe you should go for a walk and take care of those extra calories! You have complete strangers rooting for your success, how can you not at least care for your well being as we do? Get up, get offline, go for a walk.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I couldn't possibly tell you how many times I've slipped up in the last year of dieting. It happens to all of us for many different reasons. Forgive yourself and learn from it.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    Most people have a "give in" day every once in a while. Forgive yourself and move on. Like someone already said, it's 3500 cal for1 pound of fat. Just work out a bit more and behave the rest of the day
  • BobbieJoDever
    Options
    We all have slip ups, we are only human! Don't let it discourage you. When I crave foods I make a chocolate protein shake, use pepper jelly, or freeze sugar free pudding for pudding pops. I would do some research on healthy snacks for those hard times. It might also help to get healthier snacks for your child. Deserts are not supposed to be a normal thing but our society makes them that way.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I tried to take a look at your diary but it is not public. As others have said, one binge isn't the end of the world. Just get refocused and move forward. One thing that I would suggest you consider though is that the currrent food plan you are following may be to restricitive and may not be one you can follow for long periods. You don't say (or I missed) how long you've been at this diet but a break and reset may be in order and possibly a less restrictive plan going forward. Just food for thought.
  • ronning1
    Options
    Dear discouraged, have you looked into the Ideal Protein program? It solved my problem.
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It happened to me today, too. I just ate a big donut here at work. I hate that I gave in. But, like someone just told me, the day is young and there is still time to burn calories!
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Every once in a while you can have some treats. This is a lifestyle change not a diet. My doctor tells me I can eat anything I want. I just have to remember moderation and not have it everyday. Pick yourself back up and get back to getting yourself healthy. You go girl.:smile:
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    NEVER GIVE UP!! You deserve more for yourself.. We all are going to have good and bad days.. NOBODY is perfect, and that is why all of us are on here.. We need each other! Nobody has complete control, as much as we try. You just have to do the best you can... Live your day meal by meal instead of day by day!!! This is a complete life change, stick with it, DO NOT LET YOURSELF DOWN!!!! Stick with it:) Good Luck!!
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    on sunday i had a spicy chicken meal.....and a jr cheeseburger....then for dinner went to cookout which included chicken, pulled pork, homemade onion rings, french fries lobster salad and here we are on wednesday and im down a pound since last friday....if its just one day and not every other day its fine
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hear you. What you are feeling now was the SINGLE most important thing I changed about my journey. I would go on these insane diets, be perfect for 4 days, then binge, feel disgusted and give up.

I had to change my mind before I could change my body. I still have moments of weakness, but I am on this journey for a lifetime now, not 30 days or whatever the fad I was following suggested. My goal was to be healthier, fitter and stronger, not just slimmer. I am achieving all my goals - slow and steady. I got better about planning my treats and working out for me is essential - if I sweated for an hour there is NO WAY I am eating a snickers in 20 seconds and wiping out all my effort. Funny the way that works :laugh:

Learn from it, pick yourself up and move on. Don't give up.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to give up just because you gave in,
    And forgot all about being healthy and thin.
    So what! you went over your allowance a bit.
    It's your next move that counts....SO DON'T YOU QUIT!

It's a moment of truth, it's attitude and change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It's telling yourself 'you've done great up till' now',
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow.

It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You're still gonna' make it, just stay in control.
    To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to get back in the race.
    But often the struggler's, when losing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip...

DON'T YOU QUIT!

Author unknown