HELP! In need of quick breakfasts.

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
I have to leave the house around 7:30am each morning, but my time is filled with getting myself ready, my daughters lunch prepped and made, breakfast for both my kids and getting them dressed. Not a ton of time to make myself a breakfast before I leave.

Anyone know of some great breakfasts that are high in portein and low in carbs? I only have access to a microwave at work so no blender or stove for me.

Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look into some paleo recipes for high protein, low carb.

I personally just count calories. I like wheaties/cereal(3/4 cup) with unsweetened almond milk(.5 cup)=123 calories.

At least look into the almond milk. So good and lower calories.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and some instant oatmeal. My personal favorite quick breakfast meal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I make up a batch of these mini-frittatas in advance and pop a couple in the microwave in the morning: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/mini-frittatas-687877/
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been making this overnight refrigerator oatmeal. Sounded gross at first, but I was intrigued and glad I went for it!

1/4 old fashioned oats
    1/4 almond milk
    1/4 greek vanilla yogurt
    dash cinnamon
    dash brown sugar
    Tbsp crushed walnuts
    1 Tbsp chia seeds

Mix everything except walnuts, then refrigerate overnight. Set out in the morning and bring to room temp. Add the nuts and eat!

You can add bananas, apple sauce, blueberries, etc for whatever flavor you prefer. I like it best with apple sauce or no added fruit.
  • duffyashley87
    Options
    go get those liquid egg whites and aunt milles light wheat bread its eggs and toast which if you crank up the stove it takes me literally 3 minutes to makes and its only 115 calories and it is a full breakfast!
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Check out Quest bars. I grab one when I'm in a rush. I like the coconut cashew. They're low in fat and high in protein.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    whole grain waffle and peanut butter or low-fat cottage cheese or low-fat cream cheese. Toast, spread and GO!

I can't make a much faster breakfast and this that is diabetic friendly.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of my favorite Oatmeal flavors at work. I know people will tell you there is too much sugar in them, but there is protein, and lots of whole grains that keep me filled for hours. I also add in on my heavy workout days a greek yogurt. Breakfast should be your biggest meal!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I tend to eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast alot.

cheese sticks
    cottage cheese
    turkey pepperoni
    ham and cheese on low-carb tortilla

Basically no prep needed.
  • OdeToEmma
    OdeToEmma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing for breakfast every morning. 1/2c Bran Buds and some Activia or greek yogurt. I usually use the prepacked size because I have trouble with my potions - but I make sure the little plastic container is recycled!

Bran buds + Activia yogurt = 180 calories
  • snowwhite1014
    Options
    I've been eating the Kashi Go Lean cereals with skim milk. These cereals seem to really stay with me during the morning so I even have to remind myself to eat a snack mid-morning. They are high in protein and fiber. They also have different textures like crunch, sweet cinnamon, crisp, etc. I like the "crunch" ones and my husband likes the crisp and the softer ones. I always take bites throughout the morning as I'm getting ready, feeding the kids, and getting em off to school etc. Hope this helps! Keep your goals in mind.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Search the community for "Oatmeal Bake". I entered the recipe, and it is fantastic. I bake it ahead of time, them do a quick nuke to either eat at home, or dip in sugar free syrup in the car.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Make lunches the night before, and have breakfast with your kids. Make some thing you all can eat.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast a work every day and only have a microwave. It's easy to scramble eggs in the microwave. They come out nice and fluffy with no added fat. I usually add 2 tsp of 2% milk and about 1 tbsp of low-fat Mexican Blend Cheese to two whole eggs. Sometimes, a add a little cooked spinach to make it more like an omlette. Another breakfast I like is apple slices dipped in peanut butter--the combo of protein and fiber keeps me full for hours.
  • jasbo17
    jasbo17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my favorite breakfast:

1 cup Almond or Coconut milk ( original)
    1 banana
    1 tbsp. cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 ice cubes

Mix in a blender. So good!
  • jasbo17
    jasbo17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Forgot depending on size of banana this could be 163- 193 calories and it's also awesome if you freeze it and eat it as a snack. It will definitely fill you up.
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite fast/portable breakfasts is a small container of greek yogurt mixed with a packet of Planter's Nutrition Energy Mix. I usually buy a sleeve of the 4oz Yoplait Greek 2X Protein (Honey flavor) and a box of the Planter's Energy Mix packets from Target and keep them at work. Since everything's already portioned out for you there's no measuring ... just dump, stir and enjoy for 280 calories and 14g of protein.

The Belvita Breakfast Biscuits are pretty good too, especially if you like something to dunk in your coffee. They have decent protein and fiber, considering the fact that you're basically eating a cookie. Fooducate.com gives them a B so I don't feel too guilty eating them :ohwell:
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    bump
  • skudera27
    Options
    My breakfast either consists of Fiber One English Muffin (100cal) and either 2 eggs (140cal) or 2tbsp of peanut butter (190cal).
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - I'm in a rush during the week too. Some things that have helped me:
    * pack lunches the night before if possible
    * set out all clothes the night before - you don't how many times I've been late because a kid couldn't find a missing shoe. Aargh.

Some breakfast items I've come to rely on:
    * cottage cheese with either fresh fruit or homemade jam
    * belvita's
    * almonds
    * hard boiled eggs (I make like 6 of them at a time and keep them in the fridge.)
    * Quinoa - I love it, so often times if I have leftovers from the night before I'll have it for breakfast.