Vitamin supplaments

Options
So i've read that taking vitamins while dieting can help you lose weight. I have started by taking calcium, a fiber powder and a multivitamin. I was wondering if anyone knew any other good vitamins that could help?

Replies

• semperfit1823
    Options
    any generic brand will do
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Where did you read that? I've never heard that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D and Fish Oil in addition to a Multi and a magnesium.

Start tracking different nutrients in your Food Diary and see which ones you can get through food, and which you are missing.

I live in a cool northern climate, and Vitamin D literally changed my life. Do some research before adding anything. Too much of some vitamins can be a bad thing.

Try WebMD or MayoClinic.com
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic and vitamin D!
  • cbsavga
    cbsavga Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do. Been taking this for one month. Its great... Not cheap though. http://www.naturesplus.com/sourceoflife/
    The former Mr. Georgia body builder who owns the health food store recommended this. He has been on it 26 years. Looks fantastic.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    So i've read that taking vitamins while dieting can help you lose weight. I have started by taking calcium, a fiber powder and a multivitamin. I was wondering if anyone knew any other good vitamins that could help?

Where did you read this?

If you Google about taking a mutivitamin every day, you'll get a different opinion. Its not recommended to take them daily, because at best they tend to have little affect and at worst can be harmful.

As I say, read up on it. I take a multivitamin / mineral every couple of weeks just in case I'm "lacking anything", because my diet is not the best sometimes (lactose intolerant and dont like fish). But if you are taking a multivitamin, there should not be any "other good vitamns" that you're missing.

I take zinc if I have a cold coming on (been proven to reduce cold severity and length if taken when the symptoms come on), calcium (lactose intolerant), glucosamine sulphate (I'm arthritic and although there is no definite scietific proof this helps in any way, I no longer have pain where I did before I took them) and fish oil tablets (I dont like fish and the body has no way of getting...erm... something that is in fish which I cant remember!). :)
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    Where did you read that? I've never heard that.

Would like to see the article also.
  • catinhat24
    catinhat24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK so some of you asked where i read about the vitamin supplement to aid with weight loss and here is the article i read from webmd. Like the article says it's not a proven science but they can help.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/diet-weight-loss-supplements
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A multi can be helpful for making sure you get adequate micronutrients but don't really help with weight loss IMHO. There is some research that Omega 3 fish oil does help with weight loss. I believe it is critical to get the highest quality supplements one can afford. Most generic ones have very low uptake and utilization factors. I use a New Chapter multi and it's $37 for 72, so about .50 per day. Kinda of high priced but, for me, why waste your money on a poor quality supplement that does do you much good?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    OK so some of you asked where i read about the vitamin supplement to aid with weight loss and here is the article i read from webmd. Like the article says it's not a proven science but they can help.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/diet-weight-loss-supplements

All of the claims in that article say "May help in weight loss." The thing is, you can get all the same benefits from eating correctly. I have my Calcium % set for 150% here on my food diary, and I'm able to meet that by diet and a multi-vit. Fiber is really easy to get from food, too, and I see no reason to take an expensive fiber supplement. When I go on vacation I often take a fiber supplement along because of the difficulty in finding whole foods when eating out for every meal. Food is all you should need - I'm even on a 1490 cal a day plan, and I'm able to get those nutrients from food. Granted, it takes a bit of planning.