Intermittent Fasting

Options
Who does it? How does it work? Has it worked for you?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'm only on my 2nd week so no huge results yet but I do feel better, have more energy, no more cravings/binges and my clothes are a bit looser. I've been stalled for months so ready to try something new to get things moving again, so far no complaints. There's an Intermittent Fasting group that has LOTS of great info. I did a lot of research there before giving it a go. I'm really glad I did.
  • phxricky
    phxricky Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been stalling big time too. That's why i''m looking into this. It takes a lot of discipline. But thanks for the info.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    Honestly I've found it to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. I'm doing a 16:8 fast. I know I have 8 hours to get my meals in, a workout in that time frame also then be done with it! I eat my cals in that time frame and I'm truly full. I start getting hungry about 2 hours or so before my eating window opens back up but nothing major that I can't deal with. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • phxricky
    Options
    Thanks I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You can certainly try it, it's marvelous for some people.

But if you're having issues with weight loss, the solution is very likely to revolve around your calorie and macronutrient intake, your energy expenditure, or both, and not a meal timing issue. If IF helps you manage that, then more power to you.
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been doing ADF since 5th August 2012. 31lbs down. Working for me.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your body produces HGH after 15 hours of no calories. There is not much benefit after 24 hours and its a good limit because then you eat something every day no matter what. Also working out fasted does the same thing, like if you go straight to the gym before eating in the morning and hit the weights, then just 20 minutes of easy cardio, then wait one hour before eating (Rusty Moore has an article that talks about this). There are lots of articles out there about it. Rusty Moore on the Fitness Black Book, Marks Daily Apple, and Brad Pilons Eat Stop Eat, all those websites talk about the benefits of intermittent fasting. It helps keep you withiin a weekly calorie budget if you do it once or twice a week.

The key is you eat "normal" and then take a break from eating. Then go back to eating normal. And you can do whatever length you want. I stumbled across this on my own at the start of my weight loss journey. So I just did my own diet thing, cherry picking from all the diets I had done. Once I had the portions down so I started eating what I called "mini meals" and put my food in small portions on a small dessert plate. One diet said don't eat after 7pm so I followed that. I ate healthy foods that I like, lean in the carb department. I limited myself to one or two very small servings of carbs a day, focused mainly on protein and veggies. I did not count calories. I got a feel for the right portions because the scale trend was going down fairly consistently. So some days I realized I probably had enough to eat so I stopped at 5pm or even 3pm. It was hard. I went to sleep at night feeling hungry and it was not fun, but I always felt great when I woke up and the weight consistently went down at a slow rate and I felt strong at the gym.

So I lost 40 lbs doing my own thing and I called it "mini meals" and "mini fasts" because I realized for the first time in my life I was fasting from my last afternoon meal until breakfast the next day. I was really excited and was working patrol with one of my super fit colleagues and I told him my story. He said he lost 30 lbs the same way and told me to look up "Eat Stop Eat" on the web. I trust this guy and he is my friend but I was leery of the ESE book. But my friend who I trust said it was good. I researched reviews and it seemed that even the skeptics ended up saying it was good and backed with very good research. So I decided to get it. Along with it was a special deal for a workout, so after waffling around with my decision I finally decided to get the workout as well. This is when my life really changed. Between the IF, learning the truth about calories, and bumbling across a workout that I could sink my teeth into (any good workout would have done that, but it's the combo of all these things that created my success).
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am on my 25th day of IF (16/8) and i only struggle with eating all my calories within 8 hrs.
  • phxricky
    Options
    WOW! im getting a bunch of great information from you guys thanks!
  • elivanderslice
    Options
    I am starting my second week and am down 4 lbs with a small calorie deficit. Who knows our accurate this is as it has only been a week (weight fluctuations). Whether fasting or not, you need to have a calorie deficit to lose fat. The great thing about using this approach is the results of clinical trials showing that you lose 90% fat and 10% muscle which is fantastic. Normal dieting such as calorie deficit with 3-6 meals results in 75% fat and 25% muscle loss. You want to keep that muscle for increased metabolism. Eat a lot of protein.

It is already getting easier for me after 7 days. I have a sweet tooth so if my last meal is at 7pm, I know I wont indulge in 1,000 calories in one 5 minute cookie craving at 10pm. The cravings start to go away.

Here is a link to some great info on IF http://www.leangains.com/. It's not bro-science where bodybuilders repeat what they heard form someone that heard something. This is real studies and analysis in normal people language for the most part. :smile: Keep me posted on your journey. Good luck.
  • elivanderslice
    Options
    results so far?
  • elivanderslice
    Options
    I am on my 25th day of IF (16/8) and i only struggle with eating all my calories within 8 hrs.

results?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    An update: yesterday I stated I had no scale movement yet, I've been up and down the same 7 lbs from my most recent lowest weight (March/April). I considered it mostly water weight due to binges and more intense workouts so I never updated my weight gains/losses. As of yesterday I was down those 7 lbs....today I'm down 8 lbs!!!! Finally the lowest I've been since March! You bet your sweet *ss I'm counting that as a loss and not just water weight!! haha I realize IF isn't a cure all...I know it still comes down to cals in/out but doing IF has helped me cut out the binges and stay at my calorie goal consistantly! Yay!
  • elivanderslice
    Options
    Day 9 of IF. Down 6.7 lbs. Unbelievable.
  • elivanderslice
    Options
    Been doing ADF since 5th August 2012. 31lbs down. Working for me.

I would say so - way to go!