"breaking up" exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have heard that short bursts (10 or 15 minutes) don't really do anything and that you need your heart pumping for a good 20-30 minutes for maximum fat loss. Now, does that 10 or 15 minutes HURT anything? Nope. Does it do SOME good? Yup. Just don't expect 1 hour broken up to be the same workout as 1 hour straight. Only thing I can recommend is asking whoever watches your children (because I'm assuming you have a child care provider during work) to watch them an extra hour so you can work out. I have no idea if this is feasible or not. Some gyms also offer child care. Otherwise, depending on their ages invite them along. My 8 year old LOVES doing 30DS with me, but I hate it when she does. She's bouncing all over the place and is like, "Jumping jacks are SO EASY! I can't believe people have problems with these!" as I'm huffin' and puffin' away. Otherwise, take them for a family walk/bikeride. I remember being little and doing my mom's aerobic tapes. Teach your children from a young age that exercise is fun, and hopefully they won't be 30 going, "Ughhh! I hate going to the gym and I can't believe I had to walk an extra 20 feet from my parking spot this morning"

This post reminds me SO much of doing the Redbook Tummy and Thighs VHS with my mom! After she had my little brother she did this every day to lose weight and I did it with her sometimes, and then eventually on my own. :) Great memories of working out with mom!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Any exercise is better than none at all. So fit it in where you can. Just do it!
  • lauren0804
    Options
    It's not about how long, or how short you exercise. It's about getting your Heart Up. I only do interval training for about 28-30 minutes. I use to do 45-1 hour on a cardio machine and did not see the results I wanted. Now I spend less time at the gym and feel great. I sweat more too!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I too exercise with my kids. I have a 2 yr old, and two 8 yr olds. They bike with me (the baby in a trailer) and we just started running together last night (baby in a stroller). They complain sometimes, but oh well LOL. It's good for them!
  • Cat_296
    Options
    Yeah - I'm with the 'don't worry, just keep moving' opinion. If you want to add more exercise then one of the best ways is to fidget when you're at work. Anything from foot tapping to leg raises under the desk to chair swivelling all helps to keep burning a few extra calories. If you have a close set of stairs, then once an hour go and walk up and down them a couple of times..... It all adds up and if I were you I wouldn't worry about having to split your exercise through the day.

You're doing great, just keep going! :-)
  • palomanegra__
    Options
    I definitely think that research about exercise is important but I feel like everyone's body is unique and is going to respond to activity different. It depends on where you are with your diet and your metabolism as well as other factors. I echo the other comments that say you should just get in whatever activity you can. At the end of the day, exercise is better than none at all. Don't get caught up on what experts and "people" tell you. Find what works for YOU and stick to that.
  • tmoore_20
    tmoore_20 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Appreciate your opinions. I will find time to work out a little longer but I do love the burst of energy the workouts do give me through out the day
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only read OP. You can lose weight with no exercise at all, so broken up exercise is fine as far as that goes especially milder cardio.
  • farklf
    Options
    I swim in the morning.

I use an elipptical at noon.

i walk in the afternoon.

I have never felt better. Nothing hurts from overuse.

I Play All Day!