FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES

beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
Here is an article from the Mayo Clinic that I found on energy density.

Feel full on fewer calories. It sounds like a diet gimmick. But in reality, the concept of energy density can indeed help you feel satisfied with fewer calories. By consuming fewer calories, you can lose weight over time and keep it off long term.

Energy density: Volume versus calories

All foods have a certain number of calories within a given amount (volume). Some foods, such as desserts, candies and processed foods, are high in energy density. This means that a small volume of that food has a large number of calories.

Alternatively, some foods — such as vegetables and fruits — have low energy density. These foods provide a larger portion size with a fewer number of calories.

Two factors play an important role in what makes food less calorie packed and more filling:

Water. Many fruits and vegetables are high in water, which provides volume but not calories. Grapefruit, for example, is about 90 percent water and has just 39 calories in a half-fruit serving. Carrots are about 88 percent water and have only 52 calories in 1 cup.
Fiber. High-fiber foods — such as vegetables, fruits and whole grains — not only provide volume, but also take longer to digest, making you feel full longer.
Your best food choices
Changing lifestyle habits is never easy, and creating an eating plan using this concept is no exception. The first step is knowing which foods are best.

Vegetables. Most vegetables — salad greens, asparagus, green beans, broccoli and zucchini, for example — are low in calories but high in volume. Each vegetable serving is about 25 calories, and typical serving sizes are 1 cup raw, a half-cup cooked or 2 cups leafy vegetables. Some vegetables are starchy — such as corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes and winter squash — and contain more calories, about 70 calories in a half-cup serving.
Fruits. Practically all types of fruit fit into a healthy diet. But some fruits are better choices than others are. Whole fresh, frozen and canned fruits without added sugar have about 60 calories a serving. Limit fruit juices and dried fruits, as they're concentrated sources of natural sugar and therefore have a higher calorie content.
Carbohydrates. Most foods in this group are either grains or made from grains, such as cereal, rice, bread and pasta. The best type is whole grains because they're higher in fiber and other important nutrients. Examples include whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, oatmeal, brown rice and whole-grain cereal.
Protein/dairy. This includes foods from both plant and animal sources. The best choices are those that are high in protein but low in fat and calories, such as legumes — beans, peas and lentils, which are also good sources of fiber — fish, skinned white-meat poultry, fat-free dairy products and egg whites.
Eat sweets and high-fat foods in moderation since many of these foods are high in calories but low in volume.

Make it work for you
Starting a healthy diet that emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains makes room in your diet for some of your favorite foods in small quantities: a piece of chocolate cake or a small scoop of ice cream, for example. When you're not feeling desperately hungry and deprived, as you might on some diets, you can enjoy a small portion of dessert without guilt.

Here are ideas to make this eating plan work for you:

Increase the ratio of fruits and vegetables in your meals. For example, add blueberries to your cereal in the morning. Or top your pasta with sauteed vegetables and tomato sauce. Decrease the meat portion on your plate and increase the serving size of vegetables.
Experiment with new foods and combinations. Try mango or peach slices on whole-wheat toast with a little peanut butter and honey. Toss some mandarin orange and peach slices into a salad. You may find some new tastes you love that fit within your eating plan.
Start with soup or salad. Begin lunch or dinner with a broth-based, vegetable-filled soup or a large salad with a small amount of low-fat or fat-free dressing. These foods take longer to eat and curb your hunger. Next, serve whole grains, an extra portion or two of vegetables and a small serving of lean protein for your main course.
By eating larger portions of foods less packed with calories, you squelch those hunger pangs, take in fewer calories and feel better about your meal, which contributes to how satisfied you feel overall.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
Jan 19, 2007

Replies

• beep
    Here is an article from the Mayo Clinic that I found on energy density.

Feel full on fewer calories. It sounds like a diet gimmick. But in reality, the concept of energy density can indeed help you feel satisfied with fewer calories. By consuming fewer calories, you can lose weight over time and keep it off long term.

Energy density: Volume versus calories

All foods have a certain number of calories within a given amount (volume). Some foods, such as desserts, candies and processed foods, are high in energy density. This means that a small volume of that food has a large number of calories.

Alternatively, some foods — such as vegetables and fruits — have low energy density. These foods provide a larger portion size with a fewer number of calories.

Two factors play an important role in what makes food less calorie packed and more filling:

Water. Many fruits and vegetables are high in water, which provides volume but not calories. Grapefruit, for example, is about 90 percent water and has just 39 calories in a half-fruit serving. Carrots are about 88 percent water and have only 52 calories in 1 cup.
    Fiber. High-fiber foods — such as vegetables, fruits and whole grains — not only provide volume, but also take longer to digest, making you feel full longer.
    Your best food choices
    Changing lifestyle habits is never easy, and creating an eating plan using this concept is no exception. The first step is knowing which foods are best.

Vegetables. Most vegetables — salad greens, asparagus, green beans, broccoli and zucchini, for example — are low in calories but high in volume. Each vegetable serving is about 25 calories, and typical serving sizes are 1 cup raw, a half-cup cooked or 2 cups leafy vegetables. Some vegetables are starchy — such as corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes and winter squash — and contain more calories, about 70 calories in a half-cup serving.
    Fruits. Practically all types of fruit fit into a healthy diet. But some fruits are better choices than others are. Whole fresh, frozen and canned fruits without added sugar have about 60 calories a serving. Limit fruit juices and dried fruits, as they're concentrated sources of natural sugar and therefore have a higher calorie content.
    Carbohydrates. Most foods in this group are either grains or made from grains, such as cereal, rice, bread and pasta. The best type is whole grains because they're higher in fiber and other important nutrients. Examples include whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, oatmeal, brown rice and whole-grain cereal.
    Protein/dairy. This includes foods from both plant and animal sources. The best choices are those that are high in protein but low in fat and calories, such as legumes — beans, peas and lentils, which are also good sources of fiber — fish, skinned white-meat poultry, fat-free dairy products and egg whites.
    Eat sweets and high-fat foods in moderation since many of these foods are high in calories but low in volume.

Make it work for you
    Starting a healthy diet that emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains makes room in your diet for some of your favorite foods in small quantities: a piece of chocolate cake or a small scoop of ice cream, for example. When you're not feeling desperately hungry and deprived, as you might on some diets, you can enjoy a small portion of dessert without guilt.

Here are ideas to make this eating plan work for you:

Increase the ratio of fruits and vegetables in your meals. For example, add blueberries to your cereal in the morning. Or top your pasta with sauteed vegetables and tomato sauce. Decrease the meat portion on your plate and increase the serving size of vegetables.
    Experiment with new foods and combinations. Try mango or peach slices on whole-wheat toast with a little peanut butter and honey. Toss some mandarin orange and peach slices into a salad. You may find some new tastes you love that fit within your eating plan.
    Start with soup or salad. Begin lunch or dinner with a broth-based, vegetable-filled soup or a large salad with a small amount of low-fat or fat-free dressing. These foods take longer to eat and curb your hunger. Next, serve whole grains, an extra portion or two of vegetables and a small serving of lean protein for your main course.
    By eating larger portions of foods less packed with calories, you squelch those hunger pangs, take in fewer calories and feel better about your meal, which contributes to how satisfied you feel overall.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
    Jan 19, 2007
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for the info. I'm going to try implementing it today at our big family dinner. I need all the help I can get with a Mexican meal.
  • valgreg38
    valgreg38 Posts: 17
    thats a wonderful article, it is what I do and I have lost 41 pounds and 49.5 inches!
  • valgreg38
    valgreg38 Posts: 17
    62131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Excellent article! Loading up on the veggies now.
  • beep
    Now, may God give me an insatiable desire for celery....
  • honeybee71
    honeybee71 Posts: 47
    Is the coconut in mounds bars considered a vegetable/fruit? If so I have really done well today!:happy:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Hey Beep! Have you ever heard of the Core Plan with Weight Watchers??? Well, it preaches EXACTLY what you've posted here! The plan gives you a list of "free" foods consisting of veggies, fruit, lean meats, whole grains, and FF dairy. Then of course you have 35 flex points for the week for things that aren't on the list. I did the Core plan right out of college to shed my 15 of college weight... it felt like I was eating ALL THE TIME but before I new it I had lost the weight! Plus, my skin looked great!

Thanks for the reminder! I may have to do the Core Plan again. It's so refreshing to remember something I forgot about that worked so well! :flowerforyou:

:heart: KB
  • beep
    Is the coconut in mounds bars considered a vegetable/fruit? If so I have really done well today!:happy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • beep
    Hey Beep! Have you ever heard of the Core Plan with Weight Watchers??? Well, it preaches EXACTLY what you've posted here! The plan gives you a list of "free" foods consisting of veggies, fruit, lean meats, whole grains, and FF dairy. Then of course you have 35 flex points for the week for things that aren't on the list. I did the Core plan right out of college to shed my 15 of college weight... it felt like I was eating ALL THE TIME but before I new it I had lost the weight! Plus, my skin looked great!

Thanks for the reminder! I may have to do the Core Plan again. It's so refreshing to remember something I forgot about that worked so well! :flowerforyou:

:heart: KB

This is information the Sonoma Diet uses as well, with all their delicious recipes. They use plate size instead of points, so you don't have to count calories, but I'm finding putting my food in here is really helping me the most because I tend to cheat :devil:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Yeah, beep, I know what you mean about cheating :devil:

When I did the core plan I made sure to write down what I ate (if I would've known about MFP I would've been here). Anyway, good post! Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks for the info beep