Opinions on my diet

Options
I've been considering booking an appointment with a local dietitian to get their professional opinion on my diet.... but figured i should ask you guys first.. :)

I'm losing around 2-3lb a week, and am feeling pretty good about my progress. I'm trying to focus on getting better at running and have set the goal of doing a 10k next year. I'm going to the gym 7 days a week first thing the morning, running 5km 3 times a week, on the other days doing lower impact cardio and weights.

My concerns are that i'm not eating the right kind of foods to support optimum weight loss whilst retaining muscle and losing fat.

I'm 5' 10" (179cm) and weigh 203lb (92.5kg). I'm aiming for 165lb (75kg). At my heaviest (2.5 months ago) i was 227lb (103kg).

My diary is open, so please give me some opinions.

Replies

• sergiotacchini
    Options
    Hey Gordon,
    That's a great work-out routine your doing!
    Have you tried a Diet Whey protein shake? Opinion is somewhat divided on the effects of it but I've been using it since joining the gym and it works for me, it aids weight loss, helps build and restore lean muscle.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough to fuel yourself properly. Men generally need more calories. What is your activity level set to? How tall are you and how many pounds are you trying to lose?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am with chubby checke on this that you may be under eating a little? also, maybe add sodium to your mfp watch list, as it seems that is very high?

the best type of foods are stuff you can make yourself meats, veggies, some fruits (limited cos of the sugar) try to make your own stuff as much as possible, including sandwiches.

Add some snacks, nuts\protein shakes
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Activity level.... Here's the bits from the profile.
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,360 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,370 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 990 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 2.0 lbs/ week

I'm 5' 10" (179cm) and weigh 203lb (92.5kg). I'm aiming for 165lb (75kg). At my heaviest (2.5 months ago) i was 227lb (103kg).
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    I am with chubby checke on this that you may be under eating a little? also, maybe add sodium to your mfp watch list, as it seems that is very high?

Normally it's very low, i think one of my foods on the 17th is incorrect in the food database.

I've added sodium to the food diary table, thanks for the tip :)
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    Did you set yourself as sendentary when you set up your profile? With the exercise you have listed, you're pretty active. I'd at least eat your exercise calories. Also, losing slowly is better for retaining muscle mass.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Did you set yourself as sendentary when you set up your profile? With the exercise you have listed, you're pretty active. I'd at least eat your exercise calories. Also, losing slowly is better for retaining muscle mass.

Yep, i sit in front of my computer all day, so Sendentary seemed correct.
    2lb a week is relatively slowly isn't it?
    I eat when i'm hungry, and i don't get hunger pangs or anything like that. I've been reading the various opinions on eating exercise calories and i'll dip into them if need be..
  • _granola
    Options
    It sounds like way too large of a deficit for the amount of exercise you are doing.
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you're fine in my opinion. You're eating plenty of protein and you're working out. You can't ask for much more than that. Of course, there are always improvements you can make to your diet to for optimal health/energy which will make it easier to have great workouts. The best piece of advice I've gotten is about getting heaps of variety in the diet, to make sure you're covering all your micronutritional needs. You might also want to try (if you haven't already) supplementing with Creatine to help you build and retain muscle as you lose fat. There is heaps of information out there about Creatine so just do a google search.
  • twinketta
    Options
    IMO and you do not have to take this as gospel, but think maybe you are eating to low? I know you want to lose fast, we all do want the same thing :0

But for a guy I think the cals with what you are exercising is a little too low? Good job with the sodium checking it was very high a few days running. I would also watch the sugar.

But most of all maybe try to eat every 2-3 hours if you are going to eat so low? I am no expert and don`t claim to be an example of perfect eating!

Try to make your own foods and avoid the make up stuff from takeaways (sandwiches etc)

Hope you get some advice from the guys that will be a lil better with the whole nutrition for guys lol!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    It sounds like way too large of a deficit for the amount of exercise you are doing.

My daily goal is 1,370 calories/ day, I aim to eat that full allowance every day.
    If i'm doing a run, it'll be around 500 calories i burn, otherwise if it's a weights day the easy cardio amounts to about 200 calories.

But for a guy I think the cals with what you are exercising is a little too low? Good job with the sodium checking it was very high a few days running. I would also watch the sugar.

Good call on the sugar, i only just added it to the table, i think i need to avoid the Powerade and the cappuccinos.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ This is correct.

Also, your protein intake is a bit on the low end.

Curious about your weight training program as, if it's too far removed from "a reasonable starting program" it, along with your calorie deficit, will likely fail to contribute to retaining lean mass as well as you could be.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options

My daily goal is 1,370 calories/ day, I aim to eat that full allowance every day.
    If i'm doing a run, it'll be around 500 calories i burn, otherwise if it's a weights day the easy cardio amounts to about 200 calories.

I don't think MFP differentiates between male and female very well. I changed my stats to what yours are and it gave me 1300. I eat around 2000 a day and only exercise 3-4 days a week. When I stick to the plan, I lose pretty regularly.

Do what you feel is best, but I believe you're doing yourself a disservice by not eating enough to support your activity.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Gordon, really for a 5ft 10in man 1370 cals is not good...please believe me, especially if you are working out on top of it!!

I am really trying to encourage you and I wish some guys on the site would help you with the answers :-)

I don`t know how much weight you have to lose but I would think around 2000 cals would be better and healthier??

Just my opinion! you don`t have to take it on board! good luck either way!!!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options

Curious about your weight training program as, if it's too far removed from "a reasonable starting program" it, along with your calorie deficit, will likely fail to contribute to retaining lean mass as well as you could be.

My protein is on the low end? I'm worried it's too high. I try to keep it below 140g/day.

Here's my weights program, it's pretty "beginner" at the moment... I've only just moved to free weights from the machines.
    Sets Reps/ Sets Weight/Set
    Bench Press, Barbell 2 16 28
    Shoulder press, barbell 2 14 20
    Preacher Bench Medium-Grip Barbell Curl 1 14 24
    Lat Pulldown 2 12 40
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

^ This is correct.

You should probably listen to this guy.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options

^ This is correct.

You should probably listen to this guy.

I'm keen to :smile:
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

My protein is on the low end? I'm worried it's too high. I try to keep it below 140g/day.

Here's my weights program, it's pretty "beginner" at the moment... I've only just moved to free weights from the machines.
    Sets Reps/ Sets Weight/Set
    Bench Press, Barbell 2 16 28
    Shoulder press, barbell 2 14 20
    Preacher Bench Medium-Grip Barbell Curl 1 14 24
    Lat Pulldown 2 12 40

What MFP sets is a minimum. At 235lbs, I aim for about 180-210g of protein a day, and if I go over it is an added bonus
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe look to see what your body fat is to ensure it's fat you're losing.
  • _granola
    Options
    I don't think your protein is low. I think it is *set* too low, but you go over it considerably each day.

I still say your calories are too low for a male with your activity level. You may consider setting your goal to lose 1 lb per week instead.

ETA: Ok, protein is a little low on some days. People have different opinions on how much protein one needs while dieting and exercising, but in general, 1g per lb of lbm is a good measure. I think I've done just fine on a little lower than that. More like 0.8g per lb of lbm.