Plateau blues............

Options
I've been trying to deny it but now that I'm rounding out a solid month of no loss I have to admit I've hit a plateau.......
I will admit, the last few weeks have not been the best for me, but I stay at or under my calorie goal and work out almost every day. I'll admit that my daily caloric intake is above 1200 - I usually eat closer to 1,500and1,600 calories a day. I have a physically demanding job and eating that little leave me feeling weak and under-fueled. I'm hoping there is a way to break this without dropping my calories too much.
Today I finished the level 1 of the 30 Day Shed - going into level 2 tomorrow.
I'm also worried because my college classes start up next week and I'll be out of the house from about 8 in the morning until near midnight....I know that's just going to have to take a lot of time on my part - but I still worry.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more not less to get over this plateau.
  • lucyspagettins
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - there comes a point when you shouldn't really drop anymore calories e.g. not below 1200.

Don't forget that your muscle weighs more than any fat you used to have so whilst you may be feeling like you're plateauing - it may be the case that your losing fat but gaining muscle.

In order to drop 1/2 a week I have to stay at a very strict 1,200 calories a day - and sometimes that just isn't possible - I often find at exercise makes me more hungry and so I feel ravenous after a run!

There are lots of pieces of weight loss advice like drink loads of water, eat more protein after the and stay clear of carbs but if your really busy sometimes you can't do all these things.

I find that things that take the edge off my hunger, given me fuel to do my job andf in turn allow me to keep my calories down are as follows;

hot tea with semi skimmed milk and sweetner/canderel
    coffee with or without milk
    homemade ice tea with lemon
    popcorn
    low cal yogurts
    a low cal choc mousee with raspberries
    low cal wholmeal bread with spread & something savoury

The more you lose - the less there is left and so you naturally slow down but that doesn't make it frustrating!!!!

Don't forget to log all your moving around as well - it sounds like you never sit still!
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am on a 6 week plateau. In the past I've been able to bust past it by upping my exercise but that hasn't worked this time. My calories are good but I'm thinking about restricting carbs a bit and see where that gets me. I had been steadily losing until now and had hoped to lose 20 pounds more by the end of the year but that goal is out of reach now, Not fun!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There is a great podcast on plateaus here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/ it really helped me to shift off the dreaded plateau. Hope it helps.
  • DTreas
    DTreas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DTreas
    DTreas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    how do you determine the amount of maintenance calories to try for the 2 weeks?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why don't you try a month at 1800-1900 calories.... or if you want, post your height, weight, age and workout routine and we can run some numbers. I have a feeling, you need more, especially since you have an active job.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a month at 1800-1900 calories.... or if you want, post your height, weight, age and workout routine and we can run some numbers. I have a feeling, you need more, especially since you have an active job.

H: 5'5"
    W: 215
    A: 20
    WR: 30 Day shed, cardio 2-3 times a week (between 40 to 60 minutes normally)
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Personaly, when this happened to me, I really decreased my carbs to below 100 grams. but I replaced the calories with good fats. Fats won't make you fat, carbs do because they drive insulin and that makes you fatter.

It's a little weird at first to drop carbs that much, but eating more fats will satisfy you, keep you fuller, carbs tend to not stick around too long.

Give it a try!
  • SuperSmudger
    Options
    I find eating MORE helps get over a plateau...
  • wthomson
    wthomson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have also been battling a plateau for about 4 weeks, I have lost 18 lbs, with a goal of 18 lbs more. I am not going over my daily calorie total of 1200 calories a day unless I exercise that day, then i will eat back some of my calories. I feel your frustration and am trying to decide a plan of action. I have decided to start taking my measurements periodically to see if they are changing, even if my weight isn't. Perhaps I am gaining some muscle that accounts for the stall. Crossing my fingers.....
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    If I don't have enough protein, I hit plateaus and I'm hungry all of the time!

Make sure you have your "ammo" food with you when you return to school. On the long days, take a little can of Bumlebee tuna with you, 17 grams of protein. It's dry, so maybe take a fruit, also. And be sure you have your water. Spend the time to PLAN your meals and your SNACKS so you are eating something every 3 hours or so, and don't let your blood sugar get way down. I have a nice insulated bag that is large enough to hold a boatload of healthy foods for me to eat. Small pieces of cooked chicken - put em in frozen so one or two is ready when you need the boost. Salad stuff, cut veggies, yogurt (I love "Fage" Greek yogurt. Yogurt is one of the great foods. etc. etc.

It's all in the planning.

Take care, LeeAnn
  • psuLemon
    Options

H: 5'5"
    W: 215
    A: 20
    WR: 30 Day shed, cardio 2-3 times a week (between 40 to 60 minutes normally)

Yea, I would have you eating 1900 calories with that workout schedule. Now where you really would benefit is by replacing some cardio with heavy weight training. WT is much more effective at cutting body fat and maintaining lean body mass. I would also recommend setting your macro's at 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fat. High protein diets are more effective than low fat or low carb diets.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Personaly, when this happened to me, I really decreased my carbs to below 100 grams. but I replaced the calories with good fats. Fats won't make you fat, carbs do because they drive insulin and that makes you fatter.

It's a little weird at first to drop carbs that much, but eating more fats will satisfy you, keep you fuller, carbs tend to not stick around too long.

Give it a try!

Carbs don't make you fat, eating more calories than you burn makes you fat. What happens when you reduce carbs is your body will store less glycogen/water so you lose a bit of water weight. But over time, low carb diets provide no benefit in terms of weight or fat loss as compared to just eating below tdee.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have also been battling a plateau for about 4 weeks, I have lost 18 lbs, with a goal of 18 lbs more. I am not going over my daily calorie total of 1200 calories a day unless I exercise that day, then i will eat back some of my calories. I feel your frustration and am trying to decide a plan of action. I have decided to start taking my measurements periodically to see if they are changing, even if my weight isn't. Perhaps I am gaining some muscle that accounts for the stall. Crossing my fingers.....

You won't have muscle gain on 1200 calories. It's not enough to make your body go into a anabolic state. There are hormonal responses to preserve body fat if you do not eat enough. You have to keep in mind there are two places that your body can get energy from, food or muscle. When you prolong eating too few calories, your body will start to take the amino acids from your muscle to fuel your body. Maybe you should try eating around 1800 calories (if you are active) for a month and that should help. Also, the closer to a normal weight, the harder it will be to lose weight.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was on plateau for the past 2 months and I think I just starting busting through it! I will tell you what I changed:

I UPPED MY CALORIE INTAKE....that's basically all I did other than maintain my exercise. I don't exercise like a maniac. I am also doing 30 Day Shred. Yesterday was L2D6. I took a break also. Additionally I TRYand run 2-3 times per week for 30 min-45 min. I did some Bikram Yoga in the past couple of weeks too.

Anyway, I am pretty sure upping my calories is what did it. I have shown a loss on the scale for the past 5 days....i'm confident it will stick!