5 Mins of HIIT

Options
Would only 5 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) have any negative affect on me before weight training? I do it so my warm ups wont be as long. I usually sip a protein shake right after the HIIT and then go into my weightlifting.

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define "high intensity"

5 minutes max, all out effort right before weight lifting might leave you a little winded and, depending on your fitness level, maybe lower your lifting ability for quite a while.

5 minutes of "hard enough to be breathing hard" probably would not be so bad.
  • hristossida
    hristossida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Firstly, don't warm up BEFORE a weight session, warm up AFTER. If you must warm up do a ACTIVE warm up. Whats that you say? Its warming up your body and getting the blood flowing by actively working up to your working set. Example, my working bench set is 80kilos, so I would do 50kilos, 60kilos, 70kilos, all one set each, then I'll start my working set of 80kilos.

About the protein, take it either before or after, doesn't really matter. Since I'm on a cut I have two scoops, one during lunch (before) and one after my workout during dinner. Protein is protein, as long as it gets in you!