Some friendly advice and help??

Options
I'm looking to lose about 50 pounds but I'm scared that I won't have the right things to do it. I can't afford food, so I have to deal with whatever is in the house and we have to eat random not so healthy food. We don't really have any food for that matter. Also can't afford any type of workout program or anything. I just really need some advice how to do this under my circumstances. I've been over weight my whole life and I'm only 5'0. I had a baby almost a year ago and then got on the depo shot for a 6 months, and I'm pretty sure it helped me gain all this weight so I stopped it. I'm at 198 right now and I would like to get down to 160 within a decent amount of time. [: any helpful advice would be great.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm cheap, I'm not broke but I refuse to have to pay more to be healthy, so I still have my food budget, I ALWAYS look through the cataloges and I end up going to 3 or 4 supermarkets but it saves me a LOT of money, as for training, running's free, and I youtube work outs if I want something different. Try Cassie Ho pop pilates
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Jogging around your neighborhood or doing bodyweight exercises are free. There's a ton of YouTube channels for workouts, bodyrock.tv is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

As for food, start with where you are. Track what you eat for a week-- eat normal. Then you can poke around and see which things to eat more and less of.

If you don't really have any food, have you checked into getting some assistance? Food stamps or church food baskets or something?
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about your situation.
    Some thoughts:
    Some grocery stores just throw out food when it is about to expire because people think it is automatically bad. I have heard of these stores selling the "expired" items at drastically reduced prices. It is kind of like having access to the managers special. I would make some calls and find out if that is an option for you.

Food pantries, buy in bulk stores, places like Aldi. There are a lot of cheap to free ways to get food they just require extra work. I know it sucks.

I would suggest using what energy you have to get a good nutritional base for yourself and then worry about exercise. Walking is free. Walk everyday, but don't worry about making it long or intense until you know you have the food to back it up. Good luck.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Who needs to buy expensive stuff! Get out and walk! You can put your baby in a stroller and go! As far as winter when you get stuck inside there are some really cheap videos you can look at they may only cost $10 and many to choose from. You can even look up You Tube videos and you will find some stuff on there you can do too :) Hope this helps :)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    In my area, local farms sell boxes of fresh produce every month. You pick it up at a specified location once a month for a low price. Its a lot of produce and products. Enough for a family and really inexpensive.

Buy produce when its in season and cheaper and freeze.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't have the extra money to buy organic or a ton of fresh produce. I buy canned fruit (always light) and rinse with water. You also don't need a gym membership or expensive equipment. Jog/walk your neighborhood. Youtube Zumba and other cardio videos. Bodyrock.tv is also helpful. You don't need money to lose weight, but you do need determination.

Good luck!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tight budget and manage to feed a family of four healthy meals for a month. I shop sales and buy in bulk if possible. I make meal plans for 3-4 weeks at a time. I cook many things from scratch. I buy fruits and veggies when they are in season/on sale.

I'd check out this site: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

And, if you live close to an Aldi, and a bakery outlet (we have one called Gardners where I can get whole wheat bread, typically Sara Lee, for about $1/loaf) find them.