LOW CARB PEOPLE HELP PLEASE :)

Options
Ok, so I have been low carbing I guess and didn't realize it really until I was doing some reading... I was doing it pretty effortlessly. And as you can see, I have lost weight...I took a Ketone test today just to confirm, and yes I am in Ketosis. Soooo... If I am eating no more than 50 carbs a day, how much ratio should be the micro's? I think I have mine for 20 carb 35 protein and 45 fats... Does that sound ok? I just changed it and not sure if this is where I should be since I eat low carbs? Some help with the micro's would be greatly appreciated what you have yours set to. Thanks

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about keto. I just know that the macro % isn't as important as the grams per macro. Example: Until I exercise, I only require 70g of protein. If I get more than that, it's a waste of calories. If to stay in keto is a requirement of being under 50g of carbs, then I would say you should adjust your macros so it stays under 50g or around that.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    yeah I just don't know where to put the protein or fat percentages?
  • Weeble2005
    Weeble2005 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would ask Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me! I think everyone should self experiment and find what works best for them. But I would definitely recommend higher fat, moderate protein, low carb!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Those are my macro percentages: 20% C, 35% P, 45% F. I'm not in ketosis though.

In my experience, most people who are in ketosis are 10-15% carbs, 30% to 40% protein, and 45% to 65% fat.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about keto. I just know that the macro % isn't as important as the grams per macro. Example: Until I exercise, I only require 70g of protein. If I get more than that, it's a waste of calories.

This is not true. Your body can use more then that even if you do not exercise. I eat 100 grams per day of protein whether I exercise or not. I have lost almost 120 lbs and kept most of my lean muscle.

Your macros are not that important. Eat what you want. You can eat more protein for the calories so go that way if you want. Just make sure you get both as the aminos are needed by your body.
  • MizzTweezy
    Options
    Those are my macro percentages: 20% C, 35% P, 45% F. I'm not in ketosis though.

In my experience, most people who are in ketosis are 10-15% carbs, 30% to 40% protein, and 45% to 65% fat.

I think the brain needs a certain amount and you can go into ketosis at 100 carbs or under.. Are you sure your not? Have you tested? I had no idea I was myself either... Maybe it takes more for some people not sure how it works, but I'm registering at moderate level of ketosis.
  • happygmaof5
    Options
    I have been staying around 60 g of carbs a day and staying in ketosis
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I don't know much about keto. I just know that the macro % isn't as important as the grams per macro. Example: Until I exercise, I only require 70g of protein. If I get more than that, it's a waste of calories.

This is not true. Your body can use more then that even if you do not exercise. I eat 100 grams per day of protein whether I exercise or not. I have lost almost 120 lbs and kept most of my lean muscle.

Your macros are not that important. Eat what you want. You can eat more protein for the calories so go that way if you want. Just make sure you get both as the aminos are needed by your body.

That's broscience. The current math is 0.8 times your weight in kg for someone who is sedentary. If you are exercising you would want to do 1g of protein for every kg or 1.2 for every kg. I have lost 70 lbs (only 10-15 left) and I didn't eat a lot of protein getting there. I just ate clean healthy meals. But everyone is different so I'm not saying your approach isn't great too; but no two bodies are the same in composition and genes.

A kg is equal to 2.2 lbs. So take your weight and divide by 2.2 to get your kg weight. Or use google to convert by typing "lbs to kg" in a search bar and plug it in their converter.
  • MizzTweezy
    Options
    my issue is I was only doing like 35 grams of fat this whole time at most... Now it's telling me to eat 50 grams, I'm just trying to do it as healthy as possible i guess. I have read not to do low carb and low fat at the same time that it is very unhealthy... So I am afraid I was unhealthy for so long now... Idk I'm confused.. lol
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    Great question, I have been low carbing and since I got on here so many people say I need those salories and started counting them, needless to say...my weight loss has slowed down, I think I am going to have to go back through introduction low carb stage to start the furnace going again.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    my issue is I was only doing like 35 grams of fat this whole time at most... Now it's telling me to eat 50 grams, I'm just trying to do it as healthy as possible i guess. I have read not to do low carb and low fat at the same time that it is very unhealthy... So I am afraid I was unhealthy for so long now... Idk I'm confused.. lol

Being low fat (saturated fat) is a GREAT idea! But don't be low on the good fats that lower LDL levels (polyunsaturated and monunstatured - more poly than mono). Fats got a bad name because of 90's diets; but now we know that not all fats are bad. As a matter of fact, fats will help you stay full longer and it will also be used for energy when you are restricting carb. So I would have to agree with the 50g of fat. I hope it all balances out for you.